Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Hissing noise from air vent...

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-04, 06:37 PM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hissing noise from air vent...

So I'm driving home today, and I start to hear a hissing noise from the passenger air vent. At first I'm thinking it's liquid condensed from the AC sloshing around inside the dashboard (drain hole clogged up maybe).

But the noise doesn't seem affected by turning, or speed. I try turning the AC on and off, then the fan itself. Nothing. Even with the climate control turned completely off, I'm still hearing this hissing. It's more or less constant, and occasionally sounds "wet", like a leaking hose that periodically gets into water.

I'm going mad on the drive home trying to diagnose it -- turning things on and off, braking hard, turning, etc. Only thing that affects it is when I brake sharply; when the nose dives and the car's plane becomes angled forward for a moment. The hissing stops briefly, then resumes.

Finally I get home in the garage where I can check it out better. Still hissing even when I turn the ignition off. I'm wondering if it's a leaking hose, a freon leak or something. But there's no unusual smell.

So I duck my head in on the passenger side to hear better exactly where the sound is coming from, and...

...it's my bottle of Dr. Pepper in the front seat, hissing because I didn't screw the cap on tight enough.

Ral
Old 08-31-04, 03:24 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL, I'm glad you got it figured out without paying somebody $$$.00 to remove the bottle of Dr.Peppers.
Old 09-01-04, 07:59 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Whew, at least it wasn't a python hissing under the seat.

Slightly off topic: I occasionally hear rattles in my RX. I always track the noise down to the stuff in the RX, not the RX itself.
Old 09-01-04, 10:19 AM
RalAegidius
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least I wasn't one of those women who shows up at the mechanic and says, "It's making a hissing noise".

Ral