Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

When is a flush not recommended over drain-and-refill?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-04, 08:50 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Trani flush NOOOOO!

Originally posted by HarrierAWD
Correct. Do not flush transmission. That'd push debris to where it shouldn't be. Just drain and fill.

Now, some old ATF will stay in the torque converter. That's fine as long as you drain and fill at regular interval. Some people really love their cars would do it twice (drain and fill, drive around a few miles, then drain and fill again.) It's not necessary. Don't use the AAMCO powerflush, that'll do more harm than good.

Differential is drain and fill.

I received this advise from an honest Lexus tech that said
- just drain and fill the trani on my RX every 20,000 miles (30,000 km) and the trani will last the life of the engine.

Last edited by Fern; 08-13-04 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-13-04, 04:51 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by LS4Lexus
How about brake fluid? If I remember correctly, a shop once told me only to change it out when replacing brake pads. Do you guys change it more regularly than that?
According to my owner's manual, Lexus recommends every 2 years / 30k miles.
Old 08-16-04, 02:11 PM
ripe911
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a transmission flush at a Toyota Dealership today. My GS400 only has 54,000 miles, but I felt a big difference afterwards. The transmission was much smoother as I took a test drive in stop and go traffic. Also, when I got back home I checked the dip stick and saw the ATF was very clean with no dark spots left on a napkin.

I think the $160 was worth it since I don't know how the previous owner treated the car. But my next ATF services will be only drain and fill since I will be the only driver.
Old 08-16-04, 07:06 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by ripe911
I just got a transmission flush at a Toyota Dealership today. My GS400 only has 54,000 miles, but I felt a big difference afterwards. The transmission was much smoother as I took a test drive in stop and go traffic. Also, when I got back home I checked the dip stick and saw the ATF was very clean with no dark spots left on a napkin.

I think the $160 was worth it since I don't know how the previous owner treated the car. But my next ATF services will be only drain and fill since I will be the only driver.
Glad to hear you felt a noticeable difference with the tranny from the total tranny fluid flush. Since you already completed that task, you don't need to do it again for a LONG time
Old 08-16-04, 10:13 PM
saber
Pole Position

Originally posted by ripe911 [/i]
[B]I just got a transmission flush at a Toyota Dealership today. I felt a big difference afterwards. The transmission was much smoother
If you did two drain and refills in your own home driveway you'd notice a big difference too and the cost of 4 quarts of fluid would be only around $15. Plus, unlike the dealer tech, you'd be meticulous and take care not to get any trace or dirt or lint in the transmission fluid and you'd be meticulous to get the fluid level precisely correct.
Old 08-23-04, 11:43 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Flush

Like Ripe911 , I am not the original owner of my 94 LS.

I had no idea what condition the fluids were in , but had reasons to suspect that this car had seen some usage on rural dusty roads. I wanted to be real diligent about changing all fluids based on this knowledge. Highest on my list was tranny fluid , since transmission replacement is prohibitively expensive.

I went with a flush at a Toyota Dealership. They used a BG machine to do the job and claimed that they used nothing but Toyata approved fluid in the machine. I went the extra mile and ordered BG Quick Clean and ran it thru the tranny prior to the flush.

It's claim is: "A safe, effective solvent/dispersant cleaner that will quickly remove accumulated deposits from the valve body , filter screen and other automatic transmission components."

I cannot claim to know that this product works as advertised , or for that know for sure that Toyota of Plano uses the correct Toyota Fluid. I asked to watch & they declined to allow me. I do know that my tranny seems to be working fine at 160,000 + miles and now I will feel much more comfortable with doing just a drain & refill regimen moving forward.

Paddle shift GS400 owners , I would be really diligent about changing fluid cause I've seen how my friends drive them!!!

damon
Old 08-26-04, 06:34 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Flush

Originally posted by damon
Paddle shift GS400 owners , I would be really diligent about changing fluid cause I've seen how my friends drive them!!!

damon
I just did two drain & refills today of my tranny. The fluid was very dark, so to me it seems like the previous owner didn't take very good care of it. I plan on doing a few more drain & refills over the next two weeks to get most of the old fluid out. Since I just did two drain & refills, the tranny seems to shift smoother.

Here is a link to BananaGS' webpage regarding changing the tranny fluid, and it's really easy to do too: http://lexusmodz.netfirms.com/GS_DIY...il/index1.html
Old 09-12-08, 09:48 AM
ralsty
Rookie

Originally Posted by LB Lex
I just did two drain & refills today of my tranny. The fluid was very dark, so to me it seems like the previous owner didn't take very good care of it. I plan on doing a few more drain & refills over the next two weeks to get most of the old fluid out. Since I just did two drain & refills, the tranny seems to shift smoother.

Here is a link to BananaGS' webpage regarding changing the tranny fluid, and it's really easy to do too: http://lexusmodz.netfirms.com/GS_DIY...il/index1.html
The link above seems to be dead. Here's a good link to flushing the transmission - http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/trans...ransflush.html