Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

90k mile service...What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-04, 10:51 AM
Richie3000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 90k mile service...What is it?

Has anybody else been through this?

You call five different lexus dealerships in the state in regards to what the 90k service is (1998 GS300), what it involves, and what it costs, and you get five different answers!

I was quoted between $500 and $2200 for the "same" 90k service. The only thing they all had in common was major fluid changes and filter replacements. Some places said replacing the timimg belt, others made no mention of it at all.

Does anybody know what I should really have at my 90k service? What is a fair price for all of it?
Old 08-06-04, 11:28 AM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check your Owner's Manual.

This is the V8
Here is the GS4 Schedule acording to the Lexus Owner Manual book.

LUBRICATION
5,15,25,35,45,55,65,75,85,95 K

Replace engine oil & filter
remove & inspect air filter element
Lubricate locks, latches & hinges
Inspect air conditioning filter (if equipped)
Inspect lights, horn & wipers for proper function
Inspect coolant, brake & washer fluid levels
Inspect transmission & power steering fluid levels
Inspect drive belts
Rotate tires (GS 400 17" tires only)
Road test.

SERVICE
10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90,100 K

Replace engine oil & filter
Remove & inspect air filter element
Lubricate locks, latches & hinges
Inspect air conditioning filter (if equipped)
Inspect lights, horn & wipers for proper function
Inspect coolant, brake & washer fluid levels
Inspect transmission and power steering fluid levels
Inspect drives belts
Inspect tires - check and adjust pressure
Rotate tires (sooner if required)
Inspect exhaust pipes and mountings
Inspect body and paint
Inspect brake lines & hoses
Inspect brake pads & discs and /or linings and drums
Inspect steering linkage
Inspect ball joints and dust covers
Inspect chassis nuts & bolts on body
Inspect drive shaft bolts and tighten bolts
Road test.

Additional Service Requirement
Inspect fuel lines and connections, fuel tank vapour vent system hoses, fuel tank bands and fuel tank cap gasket every 24 months/20,000 Miles
Inspect supplemental Restraint system initially at 120 Months/75,000 inspect every 24 Months/15,000 thereafter
Inspect Valve Clearance at 72 Months/60,000 m (audible inspection, adjustment not included)
Replace A/C filter every 12 months/10,000 m
Replace air filter element every 36 Months/30,000 m (sooner if required)
Replace spark plugs every 72 months/120,000 Miles
Replace Timing Belt every 72 months/95,000 Miles

Be sure to have all applicable fluids replaced as part of regularly scheduled maintenance at the time and distance indicated.

FLUIDS
Replace engine oil & filter every 6 months/5,000 miles
Replace engine coolant at 36 months/45,000 miles, then every 24 months/30,000 Miles thereafter
Replace brake fluid every 36 months/30,000 miles
Replace automatic transmission fluid every 72 months/60,000 miles
Replace differential fluid every 48 months/40,000 Miles (RWD & 4WD models)
Old 08-06-04, 12:20 PM
Richie3000
Driver School Candidate

I'm still not sure why I got so many different prices and such a difference in operations performed. I'm also still not sure exactly what I should look for and at what price. It would be great if Lexus really did all of the things mentioned above, but the fact that I got a bunch of different answers to the same question tells me that they don't do all of those things, and that each Lexus dealer is not the same. I still don't know...
Old 08-06-04, 01:00 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default How much money you got?

I think if you searched the forums for a while, you'd get a better sense of what is truly necessary for your particular car at that mileage. Clearly, some of those procedures listed are optional, or could be performed yourself.

It all depends upon your particular level of caution and budget.
Old 08-06-04, 07:46 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Richie3000
I'm still not sure why I got so many different prices and such a difference in operations performed. I'm also still not sure exactly what I should look for and at what price. It would be great if Lexus really did all of the things mentioned above, but the fact that I got a bunch of different answers to the same question tells me that they don't do all of those things, and that each Lexus dealer is not the same. I still don't know...
Lexus dealers are free to set their own price on maintenance. They are also free to add unnecessary items to the maintenance schedule. It pays to shop around. Make sure that they do everything listed in the manual.
Old 08-07-04, 11:24 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally posted by Richie3000
Richie you are asking the wrong question. Just look at the maintanance schle. regarding 90K mile service and look at only the items that say "replace". Now write though items down. This is what you call and get a price on!!! You call and say I want your price on changing the rear differential fluid? I want the price on a cooling system fluid change? NEVER BUY A SERVICE PACKAGE, Got it!!! Now all of though "inspect" items that are listed, are what they do on just a regular oil/filter change with the 29 point inspection. By using this method you will find that you save a bundle. Plus I alway started this process at say 80K miles and only had them do one or two items at anyone time, see the nice thing with Lexus was whenever I had them, do the cooling system service and change the rear differential fluid, they would give me a new ES300 to drive for the day on their gas and they would have my car washed and ready to go when I showed up at the end of the day. It would take say 3 service visits between 80K - 90K miles to get all of the 90K mile "replace" items done and I would save a bundle and have 3 free car washes and drive their free new loaner car on their gas.
Old 08-07-04, 07:09 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Good points Pitbull. I'm still in warranty and am paying the premium for the Lexus computer to list my periodic service visits.

Another tip: I buy the engine air filter, wiper blades, and A/C air filter at a Toyota dealer or mailorder source and change them myself. It's really easy with the instructions on ClubLexus.

After my warranty is up, we'll see. I'd be tempted to try a Toyota dealer for routine maintenance.

One more thing: My local Lexus dealer does some maintenance beyond what Lexus recommends, but more interesting, doesn't do some things that Lexus recommends (e.g., changing brake fluid every 2 years). I believe the Lexus engineers more than the local dealership as to what's recommended/needed.
Old 08-07-04, 07:28 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by PitBull
Plus I alway started this process at say 80K miles and only had them do one or two items at anyone time, see the nice thing with Lexus was whenever I had them, do the cooling system service and change the rear differential fluid, they would give me a new ES300 to drive for the day on their gas and they would have my car washed and ready to go when I showed up at the end of the day. It would take say 3 service visits between 80K - 90K miles to get all of the 90K mile "replace" items done and I would save a bundle and have 3 free car washes and drive their free new loaner car on their gas.
That's a great idea. I'll consider that for my 60K service. My 30K service was done like 60K with extras I don't need (such as diff. oil change.) I figure that I'll have my 60K done like your way - a la carte. I figure that I'll just need coolant and brake fluid change. Have Toyota do my oil, then the rest myself.

To bob2200: I use a Toyota Express Lube for routine oil change. Cheaper and faster than Lexus. The job is done right.
Old 08-07-04, 08:03 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally posted by HarrierAWD
That's a great idea. I'll consider that for my 60K service. My 30K service was done like 60K with extras I don't need (such as diff. oil change.) I figure that I'll have my 60K done like your way - a la carte. I figure that I'll just need coolant and brake fluid change. Have Toyota do my oil, then the rest myself.

To bob2200: I use a Toyota Express Lube for routine oil change. Cheaper and faster than Lexus. The job is done right.
The other good thing is that the service advisior gets to know you better and they know your not stupid. On one of my a la carte services I was moving from one house to another so I took my LS400 in and the service advisor gave me a RX300 to use for the day. Spent all day going back a forth taking items that I didn't want the mover to handle (on the dealers gas and wear and tear to their vehicle).
Old 08-08-04, 01:45 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When in doubt about your scheduled maintenance. Go to the Library section, pick you car & year. There is a Maintenance schedule there. It's from the factory, follow what's on it.
https://www.clublexus.com/index.php/article/archive/1/