Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Premium versus Regular gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-04, 08:36 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Premium versus Regular gas

Good information, might save you some $$$

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showth...=&threadid=683
Old 07-30-04, 10:22 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not quite sure on this one. If my car asks for premium, then I'm gonna have to put premium in it. My friend's sister had a 2000 celica gt-s and the car asks for premium so so put premium in it for awhile until she decided to go 89 octane to save a few bucks. Well, a few days later her check engine light came on and the dealer told her it was the gas she put in the car. They said only premium!! They drained her tank and refilled it w/ 91 octane and told her if she does it again, it can avoid her warranty.
Old 07-30-04, 10:42 PM
Chumley
Driver School Candidate

Here we go again. Another self appointed BITOG automotive expert (PitBull) has convinced himself, through his internet based "automotive education" that he knows more about his Toyota/Lexus than those engineers who desiged and built it and is qualified to alter their specifications based on his experience.

He then posts bogus info supporting his position.

Pitbull, one of these days you'll get it. You don't know more about your car than those who designed and built it.

Chumley
Old 07-30-04, 10:46 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

You can use OBDII to reset the 'check engine' light. Did your sister tell them she used 89 or did they figure that out from sniffing the gas ? There are all kinds of things that can set off the CE light, ie loose gas cap. Sounds like they were lazy to diagnose the problem. The manual also states the car can run on 87 when 91is not available, so she is not violating the warranty.

Here's something else interesting...

Land Cruiser, Sequoia, Tundra, LX(Land Cruiser) all use the same identical V8 - 2UZ engine
Camry V6 and ES300 also use the same identical V6 - 1MZ engine

Toyota recommends 87, but Lexus recommends 91
Old 07-30-04, 11:10 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i used 89 in my car once, i heard it knock coming from a stop, then it went away. Our cars can adjust TEMPORARILY for low octane for say, you're out on I-5 and need gas, and regular is all they have. I woundn't run anything lower than 91 in most Lexus models besides the ES300 and the SUVs.
Old 07-30-04, 11:11 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by ntran18

Land Cruiser, Sequoia, Tundra, LX(Land Cruiser) all use the same identical V8 - 2UZ engine

i dunno about the 2UZ, but the Lexus version of the 1MZ may have more ignition advance to it.
Old 07-31-04, 07:32 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally posted by Chumley
Here we go again. Another self appointed BITOG automotive expert (PitBull) has convinced himself, through his internet based "automotive education" that he knows more about his Toyota/Lexus than those engineers who desiged and built it and is qualified to alter their specifications based on his experience.

He then posts bogus info supporting his position.

Pitbull, one of these days you'll get it. You don't know more about your car than those who designed and built it.

Chumley

Hey Chumpley, it has already been proven in previous posts that you don't have a clue. You even got kicked off BITOG site because of your personal attacks on other members. When the BITOG members found out you were hiding over here, giving out bad information they came to this site and exposed you. Now go bother someone else.
Old 07-31-04, 07:52 AM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Please keep this thread clean and stay on topic. I don't like closing the thread, but I will if I have to.
Old 07-31-04, 08:54 AM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

NPR's (National Public Radio) Click and Clack, the tappet brothers, have discussed this on their web site and their opinion is that, if premium gasoline is called for by the manufacturer, using lower octane will cause the engine to run hotter, even after the engine computer adjusts the timing.

This could have adverse consequences, particularly when the engine is stressed with high outside temperatures and highspeed driving.
Old 07-31-04, 12:28 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

These engines may be tuned dfferently. For example, the old Camry 3.0L V6 makes 192 HPs on regular, but the old ES300 3.0L V6 makes 210 HPs on premium. Putting regular in that ES300 will force the computer to retard the timing. Overtime it will damage the engine.
Old 07-31-04, 01:15 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally posted by HarrierAWD
Overtime it will damage the engine.
That's not true. The knock sensors are there on purpose and are designed to retard/advance timing for the choice of gas. The 3.0 1MZ-FE V6's requirements for Premium are recommended...but NOT required. You're also forgetting that the same year ES from 99-01 implemented VVT-i which in turn the same years Camry V6 1MZ-FE non VVT-i didn't achieve 210hp but instead 192.

Last edited by flipside909; 07-31-04 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-31-04, 02:23 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

You can use OBDII to reset the 'check engine' light. Did your sister tell them she used 89 or did they figure that out from sniffing the gas ? There are all kinds of things that can set off the CE light, ie loose gas cap. Sounds like they were lazy to diagnose the problem. The manual also states the car can run on 87 when 91is not available, so she is not violating the warranty.

It was my friend's sister car. After she brought it to the dealer, they diagnose it and then asked her about the type of gas she put in. So she told them "89 plus".
Old 07-31-04, 03:02 PM
PitBull
Pole Position

""I go back and forth, and I'm hard-pressed to notice" whether there's regular or premium in the tank, says Jeff Jetter, principal chemist at Honda Research and Development Americas. He drives an Acura designed for premium.

Import brands, especially, use premium fuel to distinguish their upmarket models. Most Toyotas, for instance, are designed to run on regular or midgrade, while the automaker's Lexus luxury brand prefers premium. Same with Honda and its Acura luxury line.

"Generally, the more expensive the vehicle, the higher the expectation for performance and the more the customer is willing to pay for fuel," says Pete Haidos, head of product planning for Nissan in the USA."

My Toyota 4runner with the same engine, same rated HP/TQ as the GX470 and the LX470 is rated to run on 87 octane. Even recommended by the dealer. The owners manual does state that it operates on 87 but for better performance use 91 octane. Now my 350Z operates on 91 octane and the owners manual states to use 91 octane or higher. I run 87 in the 4runner and 91 in the Z.

I posted the attached thread because I thought it might enlighten some people and stir some interesting discussion.
Old 07-31-04, 09:26 PM
saber
Pole Position

Default Re: Premium versus Regular gas

Originally posted by PitBull
[B]Good information, might save you some $$$ ]
I gather that with all the money saved by using regular gas in place of premium, the Lexus could then afford to buy all kinds of premium car care products like Auto-Rx, Fuel Power, Lube Control, RedLine Water Wetter, an oil filter bypass system, K&N air filter, Schaeffers Neutra 131, plus many years of monthly analysis of the engine oil, power steering fluid, transmission fluid, brake fluid and differential fluid by both Blackstone Labs and Dyson Labs. Right?
Old 07-31-04, 10:55 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Re: Premium versus Regular gas

Originally posted by saber
I gather that with all the money saved by using regular gas in place of premium, the Lexus could then afford to buy all kinds of premium car care products like Auto-Rx, Fuel Power, Lube Control, RedLine Water Wetter, an oil filter bypass system, K&N air filter, Schaeffers Neutra 131, plus many years of monthly analysis of the engine oil, power steering fluid, transmission fluid, brake fluid and differential fluid by both Blackstone Labs and Dyson Labs. Right?
yea, like the crap they sell at Crapgen and AutoZone is better...

Quick Reply: Premium versus Regular gas