Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

600,000 miles without using synthetic oils or aftermarket oil & air filters

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-04, 08:56 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by HarrierAWD
Yes, I watched the same Mobil One commercial long time ago. They froze both oil to minus 40F, which most people rarely experience.
Old 07-23-04, 09:06 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use to use castrol syntec but when i found out walmart has mobile1 for cheaper i swtiched..dino vs. synthetic has been around for ages. i've seen gears that used dino and that used synthetic you can see the difference.

Last edited by joshoowa; 07-23-04 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-23-04, 10:14 AM
saber
Pole Position

Let's not forget the owner of this 600,000 mile Toyota is from the state of New York which is very cold in winter.

In the freezer tests I have done, Mobil 1 5W-30 flows as good at -15 degrees F as a conventional
5W-30 does at 0 degrees F. So yes, synthetics offer an advantage in extreme cold weather,
but the advantage is a relatively small one.
Old 07-27-04, 07:23 PM
Chumley
Driver School Candidate

I'm still trying to figure out why I need synthetic oil that flows freely below -50°F. At that temperature, my battery is frozen, and won't work. My tires are also frozen rock hard, and stuck to the road. The gas in my tank is too cold to vaporize. My door locks are frozen and the door gaskets have frozen the door shut. Even if I could get in the car and sit on the seat, chances are my anus would freeze solid within a few seconds. (now there's an application for synthetic oil) BUT THE $5.00/8.00 PER QUART SYNTHETIC OIL IN MY ENGINE WILL WORK PERFECTLY EVEN THOUGH VERY FEW OTHER THINGS ON MY CAR WILL! (as long as I have it analysed every six months for an additional $35 a crack)

Note to self: Buy the API approved SL grade $.89/Quart 10W-40 Chevron Supreme Motor Oil, (or what ever your vehicle manufacturer specifies as the correct grade) change it every 5,000 miles, and use all the money you save to move to a warmer place, (at least above -36°F where Chevron Oil works perfectly) where I don't need to spend an additional, $750 a month just to heat my home in winter and $500 a month to cool it in the summer.

Ahhhh marketing, . . . . don't ya just love it!

Chumley
Old 07-27-04, 07:57 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Very good point Chumley. At that kind of temperature, all schools and businesses are closed. There's no need to go anywhere. Stay home, turn on the fireplace, toast a marshmellow, and read your kids a story.

Emergency services are still available since they keep the engines running at such temperature.
Old 07-28-04, 09:31 PM
Chumley
Driver School Candidate

"Emergency services are still available since they keep the engines running at such temperature."

And make sure you call them up and ask them what kind of oil they use in their emergency vehicles!

Chumley <laughing>
Old 07-28-04, 09:33 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Just goo' ol' dino oil for them goo' ol' boys.
Old 07-29-04, 07:40 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Just made the switch

Noticed that my Costco had Mobil 1 at an attractive price and thought I would give it a try.

I'm lazy, but not to lazy to change my own oil so I gave it a whirl. Wanted to still be in the neighborhood of a $25.00 oil change if possible. My 160,000 mile 94 LS 400 now runs just a tad quieter than it had previously. Nothing extreme but perceptible.

What this means to longevity of my 1UZ-FE I have no idea. Used a Toyota 90915-03005 btw.

damon
Old 07-30-04, 12:51 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

I'm courious then (those that don't feel that synthetic has a clear advantage over dino) why some of the worlds top (& most expensive) cars like Mercedes Benz AMG models, Corvette, Aston Martin, Porsche to name but a few specify Mobil 1 synthetic as factory fill & recomend the same for regular maintenance? Is it just hype or are they trying to tell us something? It apprears that we are going to have yet ANOTHER long thread on the same old subject!
Old 07-30-04, 01:24 AM
saber
Pole Position

Ultra high performance car engines tend to develop extra high oil temperatures and synthetics are more resistant to oxidation at extra high temperatures. For decades Toyota has solved the oil heating problem by using external auxillary oil coolers.

But some American and European engineers decided that by requiring the car owner to use synthetic, the engine oil cooler could be eliminated, thus reducing engine weight a bit and saving the company's some money.

In other words, when the Americans and Europeans see an opportunity to under-engineer a car, they'll do it. Long term reliability and durability just are not a priorities at Chevrolet, Mercedes, Porsche, Aston Martin, etc.
Old 07-30-04, 07:56 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

saber,
For decades Toyota has solved the oil heating problem by using external auxillary oil coolers.
Can you tell me were I can locate the oil cooler on my 95 SC400 or 00 GS400?

Thanks,
Old 07-30-04, 09:50 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Lexusfreak
I'm courious then (those that don't feel that synthetic has a clear advantage over dino) why some of the worlds top (& most expensive) cars like Mercedes Benz AMG models, Corvette, Aston Martin, Porsche to name but a few specify Mobil 1 synthetic as factory fill & recomend the same for regular maintenance? Is it just hype or are they trying to tell us something? It apprears that we are going to have yet ANOTHER long thread on the same old subject!
Those cars are expected to run hard and hot, perhaps expected to be redlined a lot. Therefore it may warrant synthetic fluid. The average car does not have double turbocharged engine like AMG. Using synthetic won't make the average car run like one.

Mobil One knows it couldn't advertise any "better performance or better protection" claim. Therefore it uses very clever marketing to make people believe Mobil One is superior since expensive performance cars specify it, but not actually saying the words. This is the only way Mobil can fly under FTC's radar screen. Many premium fuel and synthetic oil ads were pulled by order of FTC.

Don't be a victim of commercials. If synthetic is truly better for your engine, Mobil would display its testing results in its commercial. It never did. It just want to make more money off you, without giving you more.
Old 07-30-04, 10:06 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Default High mileage

My 12 yr old SC 400 (1UZ-FE ) has 333,000 miles runs strong smooth and quiet. Have only used non synthetic oil and regular filters these past 12 year. No leaks, burns less than a quart over the span of 5000 mi, which the dealer tells me is within factory specs. To be truthful, I can't even claim that I changed the oil religiously every 3, 5 or even 7,500 miles. Usually every 6000 or 7500 but sometimes longer. That engine is a rock!
Old 07-30-04, 11:10 PM
Chumley
Driver School Candidate

In Europe, it is quite common and expected, (they design for it) that their high performance cars might normally run for a hundred fifty miles at a time on the autobahn at over 140 mph. Please tell me where you can do that in the U.S., legally, and safely.

Now why would Europeans write very strict, additional cost specifications for U.S. markets when there is no legal application for them?

There's also the possibility that someone may try to take a shot (gunshot) at you while driving. But your car doesn't come with bulletproof glass. The presidential limousines all do. Why is that?

Chumley
Old 07-30-04, 11:43 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Default ?

Chumley,
Not sure I get your drift.

Quick Reply: 600,000 miles without using synthetic oils or aftermarket oil & air filters