Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

looking for help with hood shock replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-04, 08:49 AM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for help with hood shock replacement

For a 1997 LS 400.

I've read quite a few of the threads on this topic and as I'm in Canada, it appears the prices here are even more insane (Lexus dealer wants $178 Cdn per shock including tax (approx $134 US)).
Aftermarket hood shocks here cost about $40 Cdn each, but, the problem is obviously the ends which don't match ours.

I'm tempted to find a machine shop to cut into the ends of my shocks to remove the screwnut and ball end, however I have a few questions about the operation. I should also mention that we don't have Autozone up here so purchasing that Mighty Lift shock isn't a possibility as far as I know.

I assume that after you have rescued the 4 original shock "ends", you simply screw them back into the car's hood and fenders. You then press the new, similar length, replacement shocks onto the silver ball ends. I also assume that you have discarded the silver retaining clip from the original shock as I can't see how you would be able to reuse it..

So, my questions are:
1. How difficult or easy is it to "pop" the new shock onto the old silver ball ends?

2. Without the retaining clip, will the new shocks pop off the silver ball ends?

3. Is there any recent developments in the hood shock replacement issue that I should be aware of (ie: a better or simpler or cheaper solution? ). I did see the post about the add on part that holds the original shock up, but, I prefer the replacement shock to that particular fix.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.
Old 07-05-04, 02:37 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hood lift supports not supporting ;-(

Sounds like you have already seen this link for the custom strut assembly mod, but if not you might want to check out how this guy suggests you do the mod.

http://www.cureline.net/lex/howtos/h...ood_shocks.htm

BTW the Mightylift brand is made by ArvinMeritor, the same people that distribute the Strongarm and Steadylift shocks and struts, coincidentally Strongarm products are sold at any Canadian Tire store.

Here is a link to their website in case you want to cross reference product numbers

http://www.arvinmeritor.com/products...arket/app1.asp

I have been meaning to do the same with my RX for the tailgate... I will be tackling this the week of July 12- as I am on holidays and if your willing to wait that long, I'll let you know how it goes...

Cheers,

Fern

Last edited by Fern; 07-06-04 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-05-04, 02:59 PM
Driver School Candidate

Hi Fern,
Yes I had viewed that first link you provided, hence my question about the reinstallation of the new shock. I wasn't sure what the new shock ends looked like and how the old ball end would fit into them and stay locked in place. The link simply said to follow the instructions on the new shock package, but, I didn't think I would be able to purchase a "Mighty Lift C 95029" here in Canada.
I did actually go to Canadian Tire with the shock in my hand and asked them if they could match it to anything they had available and they were certainly less than helpful, but, at the time, I was not contemplating cutting the original fastening ends off my existing shocks.
I checked the 2nd link you provided to Arvin Meritor products, but, there was no product listed for a 1997 LS 400. It seems everyone, including lots of parts stores here, have the SC 400 trunk shocks or the ES hood shocks, but, nobody has the LS 400 hood shock application.
Were you suggesting that Canadian Tire does indeed have the "Mighty Lift C 95029" shock under the "Strongarm" name? If so, how would I be able to cross reference it so I could ask them if they had the correct model in stock, since on the link you provided, they don't list the application for the '97 LS 400?

I was able to find one import parts supplier I've used before who can supply me the correct shocks for $130 Cdn per shock plus tax as opposed to the dealer's $167 plus tax, but, it will also take a week to order them in and it's still an expensive solution when they have all those generic models sitting there at $40 Cdn each.

Last edited by 749009; 07-05-04 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-06-04, 07:25 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Default The right strut for your job

Paul,

I did some research by cross referencing the part number for the Mightylift strut (part C95029) and it seams the corresponding part from Strongarm is (part 4408)

I suggest you go to Canadian Tire and ask them for the Strongarm part #4408.. If they don't have it in stock, I am sure they can order it..

Now you just have to figure out how to replace the ends of the strut...

I still have to find out which Strongarm strut fits my RX application.

Good luck and Cheers,

Fernando
Old 07-06-04, 07:31 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Default Armstrong part number 4408

Paul,

Just called Canadian Tire and their part number for the Strong Arm strut (4408) is 22-3610-8

they carry it in stock and price is $31.50/ea + tax...

Good Luck,

Fern
Old 07-06-04, 08:46 AM
Driver School Candidate

Thanks very much for that research you did; much appreciated!
I just called a Canadian Tire store here and they do indeed have them in stock at the same price you were quoted.
I'll get over there today and take my shock in there with me to compare it to theirs. If it's similar in length and has the similar sized cupped ends with a little retaining clip inside, I'll take them and then scout around for a shop to do the original end rescue mission (I don't have a workbench with a vise and dremel tool or drill). I doubt it would cost very much to have them do 10 minutes of metal cutting.
I'm comfortable with the rest of the process and it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to reinstall all 4 ends on the car, pop on the new struts and then remove the 2 x 4 that's holding up the hood.
I'll report back later, hopefully with good news.
Old 07-06-04, 07:01 PM
Driver School Candidate

Fern, here's an update:

I went to Cdn. Tire and easily found the struts by the part number you provided (22-3610-8) and it also had the 4408 number on the package as well. The struts were about an inch shorter than the factory ones but I figured that would make a negligible difference in hood opening height.

I stopped by a few service stations on the way home hoping to get some help recovering my 4 ball & nut ends from the original shocks, but, no one wanted to attempt it as they thought they would break the ball end. I don't have the necessary drill with titanium ends or a dremel tool or workbench and vice, so I looked up "machine shops" in my Yellow Pages and after describing what I needed over the phone, I found one shop that said to bing it down and show them . I did and the fellow said he would retrieve them carefully, which he did. I paid him $30 which was possibly a little high, but, since no one else wanted to do it, it wasn't such a bad deal. So my total cost including tax is still just under $100 Cdn vs. $357 Cdn at the Lexus dealer and still having to do the exchange myself.

Took me less than 10 minutes to screw the 4 ends back into the hood and fenders and then I just popped on the new struts. I put the black side up and was lucky I could find a pic of another '97 LS 400 on Ebay with its hood up because I had forgotten which end was up(black or silver) when I took them off the car.
The replacement shock package says to make sure you mount them the same way they came off the car.

As soon as I removed the hood supporting 2 x 4, the springs had no trouble holding up the hood. However, when I tried to lower the hood, it wouldn't budge. I was quite concerned about denting the hood if I pulled down too hard so I grabbed the hood at the very top and dead centre and very, very gently eased it down. After closing the hood, I put it up again and the second time, it was a little easier to lower it, so I think the new struts need to be gently eased into service, because they've likely been sitting in the full open position so long.

So, all in all, a successful conclusion and I had no luck at all checking with local auto wreckers. Thanks again for the research and the CT part number.

Last edited by 749009; 07-06-04 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-06-04, 07:35 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Default Excellent news on the strut replacement

Great to hear that the project was a success!!!

Hopefully this post can serve as a reference for future enthusiasts of DIY hood, trunk or tailgate strut projects...

Always a pleasure to know I was able to be of assistance to a fellow CL member

BTW, hope the weather is better out west than it is here in Toronto... Damb cold for this time of year...

Cheers,

Fern