Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

New Power Steering Pump and Alt now leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-04, 07:16 AM
akmpres
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry New Power Steering Pump and Alt now leaks?

Hi guys!

Two weeks ago my alt went, was far from home so had to have McDermott Lexus of New Haven Fixed changed both the PS Pump and the alt for a bargan of $1500. Now, after the change, the power steering is so stiff, and whines when the car is started cold, took it back yesterday and they said that one of the hoses is leaking and will cost me 500 to repair, i am sure they did the fix one break something else on me, please advise.

Michael
Old 07-03-04, 02:12 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

it's a lexus dealership that fixed it for you? they did the labor themselves and those biotches are chargin you 500 dollars extra because they gave you a sheety hose to start off with? mang i'd kick their *** for it. Drive your car back there and complain to the owner or something cuz that aint right. They fix something for you, ruin another - just so they can charge you more. B friggin S. lol good luck tho.
Old 07-05-04, 08:30 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

why would you have the stealership fix it in the first place? most of the techs are incompetent!
Old 07-05-04, 10:06 AM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default YOU ARE BEING HAD

This makes me angry just thinking about it. The "stealers" will take every opportunity to take advantage of the unwary customer.

Toyota makes high quality products, and it is obvious that the leaking power steering pump caused the alternator damage. The price of $1500.00 for the replacement of both the alternator and the pump seemed like a "good deal". However, it doesn't seem like it when you have to take it back over and over.

WHY did they not tell you about defective hoses when they were doing the job? This borders on the obscene, and they should be ashamed.

Bring the car back in, DEMAND to see the manager, and get your car fixed.

Keep us posted!
Old 07-05-04, 10:13 AM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

I just had my alternator replaced at the dealership and they charged me $400, and said it'd be around $1000 for the alternator and PS pump. I didn't have the pump done then but I'm just surprised that they charged you $1500.

But, yeah, if they stand behind their work at all you should be able to get it in there for a free repair on THEIR shoddy work. Good luck, man. . .
Old 07-05-04, 03:01 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

lol i called them up about my corner light bulbs once to get it replaced... yeah they tried charging me 65 dollars. I went outside with a screw driver and did it in 10 minutes. Biotches.

Last edited by Woogie; 07-05-04 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-23-04, 08:17 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

An alternator is comprised of the following:

A stator
rotor
voltage regulator
rectifier
Brush & Holder

Other than that there is a front & rear bearing. Is it possible to determine what part of an alt. the PS fluid is damaging? These parts are available seperately.

Still can't find the post where someone made a shield.

damon
Old 11-23-04, 10:25 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally posted by aliga
why would you have the stealership fix it in the first place? most of the techs are incompetent!
i resent that!

Personally, i beleive maybe the tech misdiagnosed your car, or didnt fully diagnose your car. It sounds like the major leak was a hose, but maybe the pump itself was also leaking. I would go back, and demand to have it fixed... they should take care of you.... i know my dealership would. All you gotta do is raise hell...

Last edited by RTIS250; 11-23-04 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-29-04, 07:42 PM
saber
Pole Position

My understanding is that the filters in the power steering pump reservoir and in the steering rack solenoid need to be cleaned and kept clean to avoid the high fluid pressure buildups that cause power steering pump and hose leaks to begin with. I sure wish someone would post a tutorial or detailed instructions for cleaning the steering rack solenoid filter screen.
Old 11-29-04, 07:54 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by saber
My . I sure wish someone would post a tutorial or detailed instructions for cleaning the steering rack solenoid filter screen.
It's in this thread saber.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...steering+fluid

The thread may not have enough detailed and instruction, but it's a good start.
Old 12-01-04, 08:04 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Default Solenoid Filter

I posted a pic of the filter in this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=136860

damon

PS: If you knew how computer & Digital camera challenged I am , you would be impressed!

Last edited by damon; 12-01-04 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-03-04, 02:58 PM
Nutech
Driver School Candidate

Bring it Back and Have them Fix it. Next time make sure the shop or delar give you a good warranty. We give 3 year 36,000 miles warranty on New Pwr Steering pump we Install. Finding a right shop is the key. Even delarship. Make sure they are ASC, ASA or AAA Approved Auto Repair shops.
Old 12-03-04, 05:32 PM
Herm
Driver

Be sure to check out the link mentioned by VVT-i. I went through this about two years ago. Advice from VVT-i, Devil Dog and others really saved me. As far as I can tell (as explained in the post refered to by VVT-i) the filter screen in the steering rack is not mentioned in the service manual or TSB's. Mine was almost totally clogged and really affected steering effort. Amazing difference after I cleaned it. I have heard the hoses are prone to leaking, perhaps from the blockage causing high pressure ?? Thanks again VVT-i !!! REGARDS Herm

Last edited by Herm; 12-03-04 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-03-04, 09:17 PM
saber
Pole Position

Default Re: Solenoid Filter

Originally posted by damon
I posted a pic of the filter in this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=136860
damon
Thanks damon. I looked under my LS400 and I think I spotted the solenoid:

but I don't know how to insert a photo, but here is a link to my photo:
http://www.saber.net/~monarch/solenoid2.jpg
Old 12-04-04, 08:09 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Saber,

That is it. Can't post on how to take it off however. I have never done it. The one I had a pic of I bought offf ebay for $35.00. I had to take it apart on a vice & it took some serious torque even under that "best of "circumstances.

Quick Reply: New Power Steering Pump and Alt now leaks?