Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Need advice on oil for my new SC430

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-04, 12:10 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I said this in the coolant thread, and i'll say it again, our Lexus and Toyotas!=Ferraris. I see no need to use Toyota oil, heck even Toyota uses regular old Valvoline at TMMK. There's nothing special in the oil Toyota sells, it may look cleaner. Unlike the Ferrari Enzo, or any other Ferrari(or just about any Euro car, even the lowly VW New Beetle) that needs special oil(in the Enzo's case, $60/liter Shell Helix Ultra 10W-60, or any oii[besides Mobil 1] that meets VW 505 and ACEA A3/B3 standards for VW/BMW/MB), our cars run just fine on 5W-30 or 10W-30 oil. be it Chevron, Castrol or Mobil. Just as long you use OEM Toyota filters and change it every 3,000 miles. I think it's just marketing on Toyota's part. Since there's only a handful of companies that make oil addivtive packages(Chevron Oronite, Lubrizol, and Ethyl to name a few), i doubt they will make a motor oil additive package to meet Toyota's standards.
Old 06-06-04, 12:49 AM
Chumley
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pitbull writes: "How can I ever argue with someone that is right? How is that Toyota special oil working for you? Does your dealer use it or do you have them special order it? I can't think of any more questions for you because my mind is numb"

Key words: "I can't think of any more questions for you because my mind is numb" <a familiar thing?>

Well, I'm not looking for an argument, nor do I think, "I'm right." I listen and agree with Toyota and I've yet to have my used oil "analysed." Special Toyota oil? If you read my first post, I clearly mentioned that you can buy the "Toyota oil" at non dealer sources provided you understand the specifications. I do 95% of my maintenance and repair work myself, so I really don't NEED the dealer too much, but I let them do my covered maintenance.

I think you should reread your initial needy post at BITOG, "What more could I say to this guy?" I'll answer it for you.

With your level of experience, . . . . IMO, absolutely nothing. You have embarrased yourself enough. I doubt that will stop you though. You seem to have named yourself appropriately. Like most aggressive pitbulls, you'll need to be hit on the head with a heavy pipe before you realize you've stretched your limits.<laughing>

Chumley
Old 06-06-04, 08:56 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

Chumley, I think your problem is that you have limited your ability to learn, based on your attitude. By the way I understand that you and Sabre were banded a long time ago from www.bobistheoilguy.com site. I agree there are a few members on bobistheoilguy site that sell oil (that does not make them bad people or diminish their knowledge, plus if they are a sponsor it is identified upfront), but there are over 4000 other members that are there to learn and contribute more about all of the fluids and filters that keep our vehicles running. I think that if you and Sabre would keep open minds and use logic and reasoning you could also learn more about these things. But one thing you should not do is call others dumb for trying. JMHO

Last edited by PitBull; 06-06-04 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-06-04, 09:19 AM
saber
Pole Position

Pitbull, the Bobistheoilguy forum has mulitple moderators and admistrators that are constantly deleting are modifying posts and even pictures. Like say you posted a photo of the insides of a 300,000 mile Toyota automatic transmission that had never been treated with Auto-Rx or other additives, just regular fluid changes. The insides of that 300,000 mile transmission would be immaculate and for that reason the Bobistheoilguy forum moderators would delete it. Or if they don't delete it they will say the photos and / or vehicle mileage is unsubstantiated. They don't want the public knowing Toyotas run 30 years or 500,000 miles without using a drop of specialty oils, cleaners, additives or filters or oil analysis.
Old 06-06-04, 09:35 AM
PitBull
Pole Position

Originally posted by saber
Pitbull, the Bobistheoilguy forum has mulitple moderators and admistrators that are constantly deleting are modifying posts and even pictures. Like say you posted a photo of the insides of a 300,000 mile Toyota automatic transmission that had never been treated with Auto-Rx or other additives, just regular fluid changes. The insides of that 300,000 mile transmission would be immaculate and for that reason the Bobistheoilguy forum moderators would delete it. Or if they don't delete it they will say the photos and / or vehicle mileage is unsubstantiated. They don't want the public knowing Toyotas run 30 years or 500,000 miles without using a drop of specialty oils, cleaners, additives or filters or oil analysis.
That is your opinion not mine. I consider myself a pretty smart person. Graduated from college with a 3.85 GPA. Was able to retire when I was 49 years old. I've owned, several Lexus automobiles, SC400, LS400 and ES300 and many other brands-Porsche's 911's, 928S4, 944, Acrua NSX. You get the picture. I learn something new everytime I go on the bobistheoilguy site, just like I learn things from reading this site. If you don't like/believe in a site that's fine with me but please don't call others dumb for what they believe.
Old 06-06-04, 09:36 AM
saber
Pole Position

[i] Toyota uses regular old Valvoline at TMMK. There's nothing special in the oil Toyota sells, Since there's only a handful of companies that make oil addivtive packages(Chevron Oronite, Lubrizol, and Ethyl to name a few), i doubt they will make a motor oil additive package to meet Toyota's standards. [/B]
This is speculation on your part. Since at least 2002, all Toyota and Lexus owners manuals state that genuine Toyota Motor Oil is the original factory fill. So Toyota would be telling the American public a big lie of it used "regular old Valvoline at TMMK" and opening itself up for a lawsuit. I don't think it's reasonble to think Toyota would lie like that. For many years American chemical and oil companies have been making Toyota fluids, lubes and chemicals to Toyota's standards. Take the cans of genuine Toyota fuel injector cleaner. The main ingredient is a strong cleaner - butyl cellosolve - and the MSDS says Chevron makes this cleaner to Toyotas specs. But none of Chevrons own fuel injector cleaners contains butyl cellosolve. Chevrons own EFI cleaners that you see in gas stations and auto parts stores contain a much more milder trimethylbenzene cleaner.
Old 06-06-04, 11:10 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since at least 2002, all Toyota and Lexus owners manuals state that genuine Toyota Motor Oil is the original factory fill. So Toyota would be telling the American public a big lie of it used "regular old Valvoline at TMMK" and opening itself up for a lawsuit. [/B]

saber, I think your data is inaccurate.

I have read and reread my 2002 owners manual and nowhere does it say anything about Genuine Toyota Brand Motor Oil.

Under engine oil requirements it specifically calls for "API grade SJ-Energy Conserving, SL-Energy Conserving or ILSAC mutigrade engine oil. My ES manual specifically calls for SAE 5w-30 or 10w-30 oil BUT in no way or anywhere does it state that it specifically has to be only Toyota brand oil. Only the coolant and tranny fluid are specifically labeled Toyota.

I guess that this highly secretive Toyota Brand Motor Oil is just that, so secretive that Toyota can't even tell their beloved owners about it.

saber, if you onwed a Nissan or Infinity would you only use Nissan or Infinity brand oil there. I thought so. So do you only use Sony tapes in your Sony VCR too? Are you so brand specific that you cannot accept that other people may not follow your lead. That does not make us less intelligent than you.

I use Mobil1 5w-30 synthetic and change it every 4-5k miles. It works great for me. Neither you nor your web links will not make me feel stupid for choosing that route.

steviej
Old 06-06-04, 11:27 AM
JrNick
Driver School Candidate

Corporate Toyota knows it's just part of our American culture to put profit ahead of quality. So yes, Toyota dealers will use Ford/Chevy/Dodge quality brake fluid, antifreeze and motor oil.
Ummm, it's not just American culture, it's any business anywhere.

As far as the brake fluid statement, it's pretty much the same DOT3 (4?) standard that's been around for many years, 1966 I believe. I can't buy your argument that using another's brake fluid is somehow a 'lesser cititzen'. It's all the same. I'd bet the farm on the fact that brake fluid on a Mercedes is the same as on a Yugo as is on a Toyota or Kia. I sense a lot of hate of the American way coming from you that goes beyond the scope of this thread. I'm very sorry to see this, but it is what I see.
Old 06-06-04, 11:37 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Take the cans of genuine Toyota fuel injector cleaner. The main ingredient is a strong cleaner - butyl cellosolve - and the MSDS says Chevron makes this cleaner to Toyotas specs. But none of Chevrons own fuel injector cleaners contains butyl cellosolve. Chevrons own EFI cleaners that you see in gas stations and auto parts stores contain a much more milder trimethylbenzene cleaner.
wait a minute, i though the stuff was still made in Japan? the two dealers in my area still have cases of the Japanese stuff!
and why butyl cellosolve? It's a synonym for 2-butoxyethanol, the same ingredient in 409...
Old 06-06-04, 11:40 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

and oil analyses aren't BS, my local transit agency uses them to see how far their buses can go between oil changes, and if engine wear is to the engine maker's specs.
Old 06-06-04, 11:54 AM
csaxon
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is "Saber" aka Paul Cherubini aka monarch@saber.net claiming that Genuine Toyota Fuel Injector cleaner is good for around the house cleanup?

Butyl CELLOSOLVE Solvent
Ethylene Glycol Monobutyl Ether
(Formerly known as DOWANOL* EB Glycol Ether)

An excellent solvent widely used in coatings and cleaner applications, including many directed to consumer markets
Butyl CELLOSOLVE™ Solvent offers superior performance in many hard-surface cleaners and related cleaning formulations. Mineral oils, water and soaps are miscible with Butyl CELLOSOLVE Solvent. This product is widely employed as a coupling agent to stabilize immiscible ingredients in industrial metal cleaners, in vapor degreasers, in the clarification of oil-water dispersions, and in the formulation of concentrated liquid cleaners. In fabric cleaners, Butyl CELLOSOLVE Solvent assists in removing water-soluble stains and aids in brightening the colors of garments. It improves penetrating and wetting action of phosphoric acid-type rust removers. Butyl CELLOSOLVE Solvent heightens gloss, improves flow-out and prevents orange-peel formation in lacquers, conventional and high solid coatings.

Suggested applications

Active solvent for solvent-based coatings.
Coalescent for industrial water-based coatings.
Coupling agent for architectural water-borne coatings.
Coupling agent and solvent in household and industrial cleaners, rust removers, hard surface cleaners, and disinfectants.
Primary solvent in solvent-based silk screen printing inks.
Coupling agent for resins and dyes in water-based printing inks.
Deactivator, stabilizer for agricultural pesticides

Last edited by csaxon; 06-06-04 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-06-04, 12:24 PM
csaxon
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saber it seems you have a history with chemicals.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page 1
BEFORE THE DIRECTOR OF THE DEPARTMENT OF PESTICIDE REGULATION STATE OF CALIFORNIA In the Matter of the Decision of Administrative Docket No. 111 the Agricultural Commissioner of the County of Butte DECISION(County File No. 011-ACP-BUT-01/02)
PAUL CHERUBINI 4857 Summit View Drive El Dorado, California .

The commissioner imposed a total penalty of $1,302, including a penalty of $1,000 for the section 6618(a)(1) violation. Mr. Cherubini appealed from the commissioner's civil penalty decision to the Director of the Department of Pesticide Regulation in regard to the section 6618(a)(1) violation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by csaxon; 06-06-04 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-06-04, 01:04 PM
subtle
Driver School Candidate

They don't want the public knowing Toyotas run 30 years or 500,000 miles without using a drop of specialty oils, cleaners, additives or filters or oil analysis.
Oh but they do Saber.

You've already bestowed upon us with your infinite wisdom that they've been running on "GENUINE" Toyota fluids that were specially created with higher grade components in their elite factory somewhere.

Last edited by subtle; 06-06-04 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-06-04, 01:08 PM
AudiJunkie
Driver School Candidate

"The specific additives and basestocks are Toyota trade secrets"

Ha! A non-answer. Why even bother typing if you don't know a thing? yawn.

Virtually every brand has an outstanding product. You would be VERY lucky of TOYOTA Brand oil happened to be one of them. If it is Made in USA, I very much doubt it.

German Castrol
Saab Synth
Mobil 1 30 weights
Syntec Blend
Havoline
Game over.

Last edited by AudiJunkie; 06-06-04 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-06-04, 01:19 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

And i use Chevron Supreme 10W-30, $11.83 at Costco. I think ChevronTexaco makes good lubricants, and at $11.83/case it's a bargain.

Quick Reply: Need advice on oil for my new SC430