Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

How long can my GS300 sit for?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-04, 04:09 AM
psukhu
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long can my GS300 sit for?

I'm currently half way around the globe on a very long business trip.

My GS300 is parked safely at home in my garage.

How long can my GS safely sit without being started?

Thanks.
Old 04-22-04, 05:23 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

My father was in a similar experience with the 7-series when he left it in the garage for an entire winter season a few years ago. When he tried to start it after the winter, it wouldn't start at all. No lights showed up, and we found out later on that the battery was totally drained. We got it over to the dealership and had the battery replaced under warranty.

So my one piece of advice when storing a car for some duration is to disconnect the battery so that it doesn't risk unexpected loss of current.
Old 04-22-04, 06:08 AM
roberttran
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by lexusk8
My father was in a similar experience with the 7-series when he left it in the garage for an entire winter season a few years ago. When he tried to start it after the winter, it wouldn't start at all. No lights showed up, and we found out later on that the battery was totally drained. We got it over to the dealership and had the battery replaced under warranty.

So my one piece of advice when storing a car for some duration is to disconnect the battery so that it doesn't risk unexpected loss of current.
Same thing happened to my dad's SC430. It just sat there for 2-3 months. I only had my license for a few months so he didnt trust me driving it yet.

-Robert
Old 04-23-04, 12:24 AM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Worse case scenario your battery will be dead if it's a few weeks or even a couple of months. Just charge or replace your battery and you'll be good to go.

If a year or so passes by then your tires will be a few lbs low and have what is called/known as "Out of Round" spots on them (have a flat spot on them from sitting on the concrete for an extended period of time) but I wouldn't worry about it, just replace the tires. Usually people put the car up on jack stands to get the car off the floor to prevent that from happening if it isn't going to be driven for that period of time. Also depends on the climate the car is in since that's a major contributing factor.

Don't worry about and enjoy your business trip if that's even feasible.
Old 04-23-04, 02:31 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This was with my previous GM car from way back. Once I was away for 6 weeks, came back and the car started right up.

As long as the battery was in good condition and fully charged when you left, it'll be alright for a month.