Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Water in my GS

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-04, 11:02 AM
whitegs3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in my GS

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem ,but I am seeing water on the drivers side if my 98 GS actually under the carpet. It is seeping from the evaporator core box near the center when I turn the AC on. I have already checked the drain and it is clear. After I removed and checked the drain hose I looked in the evaporator box drin hole and the hole was clear there also. Could it Be that the evaporator is blowing cold air on the heater core area causing water to condense somewhere it is not suppose to? Or perhaps there is mold or something on the evaporator core causing a water build up?
Thanks in advance for any help
Old 04-26-04, 09:58 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Water in my GS

Originally posted by whitegs3
I don't know if anyone else has had this problem ,but I am seeing water on the drivers side if my 98 GS actually under the carpet. It is seeping from the evaporator core box near the center when I turn the AC on. I have already checked the drain and it is clear. After I removed and checked the drain hose I looked in the evaporator box drin hole and the hole was clear there also. Could it Be that the evaporator is blowing cold air on the heater core area causing water to condense somewhere it is not suppose to? Or perhaps there is mold or something on the evaporator core causing a water build up?
Thanks in advance for any help

Noticed the same thing in the exact same spot with mine today as well! This deserves a bump. Hopefully somebody can figure this out?
Old 04-27-04, 09:40 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I read a thread awhile back about a GS where the glovebox fill with water, well I did not follow the thread to see the outcome................but I have seen this in other cars and it turns out to be the drain hose...look very carefully ..............Good Luck..............Mike
Old 06-14-04, 11:41 AM
victor
Rookie

Thumbs up The evaporator Box I know what's wrong!

I know what the problem is!!!!!!!!!!! I have the same problem with my car. Your evaporator box has a leak in it. It can be repaired or replaced. Lexus suggests that you replace it BUT all you have to do is repair the leak. The box has a gasket in between it's two parts, this gasket, according to Lexus starts to leak after awhile. You have to take out the entire front interior and Dash to get it out. It is an all day job and will cost around $1200 in labor and $1800 in parts............... $3000.00 is my qoute. I have a mechanic that is going to do it for $600, that is fix the problem not replace it. Why should you replace the whole thing when it is not broken??? Lexus would like you to, but it is not necessary.

I am getting mine fixed this coming weekend.

Victor

Last edited by victor; 06-14-04 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-14-04, 02:34 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: The evaporator Box I know what's wrong!

Originally posted by victor
I know what the problem is!!!!!!!!!!! I have the same problem with my car. Your evaporator box has a leak in it. It can be repaired or replaced. Lexus suggests that you replace it BUT all you have to do is repair the leak. The box has a gasket in between it's two parts, this gasket, according to Lexus starts to leak after awhile. You have to take out the entire front interior and Dash to get it out. It is an all day job and will cost around $1200 in labor and $1800 in parts............... $3000.00 is my qoute. I have a mechanic that is going to do it for $600, that is fix the problem not replace it. Why should you replace the whole thing when it is not broken??? Lexus would like you to, but it is not necessary.

I am getting mine fixed this coming weekend.

Victor
Ouch!!!! You'd think Lexus would design it better than this, or better yet, have an easy access to service it. . .
Old 06-14-04, 03:25 PM
whitegs3
Driver School Candidate

Wow Thanks for the info .That really makes sense,however Lexus has to be crazy to charge $3000.00 to fix a design flaw.I guess I will have a look under the dash ,maybe I can handle the repair myself.
Thank you for the info this really saves me some head scratching.
Old 06-30-04, 07:55 PM
asflys
Driver School Candidate

I know this is an old thread, but I just got back from the dealer due to water on my driver side floorboards as well. The vehicle is a 99 GS400 with only 33k miles. They too told me I had to replace the whole evaporator core assembly . Parts came to $1,900.00+ and a grand total of $3,050.00 including labor. They specifically told me that the assembly was unservicable. How does one start a recall campaign?

If any of you who have had this repaired and not replaced, please post the outcome.

Thanks

T.
Old 06-30-04, 09:59 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default THAT IS VERY DISTURBING

I just purchased another 99 GS4, and I will definitely watch for this discrepancy. I have an extended warranty, but I think I would be contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction at (800) 255-3987, and requesting assistance under customer satisfaction. They can only say "no", but they usually say yes.

The more report it using this venue, the better chance we have of getting it repaired by Lexus Corporate.

COULDN'T HURT could it?
Old 08-08-05, 10:06 PM
kkeppler
Driver School Candidate

can anyone tell me how much water was in the drivers footwell? I have the same problem. About two days ago I saw a small foot round spot on my drivers side that was soaked. It wasn't very bad, but it was very annoying after buying the car only 4 months ago. same as you all. 1998 gs400. Seems around 98 and 99 have this issue.

Any comments?
Old 08-09-05, 06:39 AM
asflys
Driver School Candidate

Angry

Originally Posted by kkeppler
can anyone tell me how much water was in the drivers footwell? I have the same problem. About two days ago I saw a small foot round spot on my drivers side that was soaked. It wasn't very bad, but it was very annoying after buying the car only 4 months ago. same as you all. 1998 gs400. Seems around 98 and 99 have this issue.

Any comments?
Well, thats how mine started. I first noticed a small patch of water under my floormat and thought it was somewhat odd. I didnt pay much attention to it until it happened again. The second time I decided to peel the carpeting away from the area (removing the door threshold molding first) and stick my hand under there to see what was going on. As I didnt drive the car much, it was hard to duplicate., which is exactly what my mechanic stated as he could not find a problem. Only after driving for two hours with my air conditioning on full blast did I start to see that the water was coming from behind the dash. I could feel the water trickling down onto the floorboards under the carpet. I cant tell you exactly how much, but if I did not shove a towel under the carpet to soak it up i would have had easily a standing inch throughout the driver's side floor. My dealer split the cost to repair, which was still way too much.

Good luck.
Old 08-10-05, 12:07 PM
kkeppler
Driver School Candidate

Hmmm.... you sound just like me. Im going to let it dry out/ not use the AC for a while and when it gets completely dry I'll give her a road trip.
Thank you for your feedback.
Old 08-11-05, 08:06 PM
chowder
Driver

I had a semi-similar issue in a 99GS, but on the passenger side footwell. My drain tube was semi-clogged. Key indicator: in hot humid conditions, on a flat surface, the trickle of water out the draintube onto the pavement should be steady. If you notice no water or a very slow drip, it means the water is backing up internally. Where it decides to gather inside may or may not be telling.
Old 08-11-05, 08:31 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

i too have the water in the drivers side footwell. I am about to have some free time on my hands, and am going to try and find where the water is coming from. If i can fix it, i will. If not, I will deal with it until it either gets to be too much or i sell the car. But 3000 is TOO much for a puddle. Im just going to have to vac dry all the water out.
Old 08-11-05, 08:33 PM
AUGuy21
Pole Position

Default Re:

I'm right there with you guys....

I have a '99 GS300 and noticed the wet spots under driver's side floor mat around 88,000 mi. I could soak up a whole hand towel if I put it under the carpet. I took it in to the dealership and after a day and a half of looking, they stated my evaporator core was cracked. They gave me half off for the evaporator core, but the repair ending up costing $1,300 or so. Be careful, b/c when they took off my dash, they didn't put it back together too well, so now I have plastic creaks all the time; whenever I hit the brakes or hit bumps in the road. I guess nothing's perfect.
Old 08-11-05, 08:36 PM
AUGuy21
Pole Position

Default Re:

Good luck vac drying the water. I sat there with a hair dryer for 1 hour a day for 3 straight days and thought I dried it up. The white sound insulation padding under the carpet is what is so soaked. It's so thick you'll never get it dry for good. Once you turn on your A/C, it will fill back up within a day... Just my two cents....

Quick Reply: Water in my GS