Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Rust on wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-04, 10:36 AM
Hopeful
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust on wheels

I wash my car every weekend. I've noticed that when I wash my rims and as I look through the spokes, I see some rust on the inside. Not being mechanical, I don't know what that part is called--perhaps the rotors? Anyway, should I sand the rust off the metal? Is it ok to leave it like that? Should I tell/ask the Lexus dealership? TIA.
Linda
Old 04-18-04, 11:18 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Rust on wheels

Originally posted by Hopeful
I wash my car every weekend. I've noticed that when I wash my rims and as I look through the spokes, I see some rust on the inside. Not being mechanical, I don't know what that part is called--perhaps the rotors? Anyway, should I sand the rust off the metal? Is it ok to leave it like that? Should I tell/ask the Lexus dealership? TIA.
Linda
I have the same issue as you do--the rotors are starting to develop some rust on them. I don't what it is, but my previous Acura and Nissan cars did not have this problem, they were painted black from the factory. Anyways, I'm not 100% sure on the fix, but it hasn't bothered me enough to warrant getting anything done to them yet (it's relatively minor on my car, so far. . .).

Any others with comments on what you did w/ your rotors?
Old 04-18-04, 07:16 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

are you talking the flat surface that the brake pads make contact with or are you talking the actual hub.

If it is the rotor, it is just normal surface oxidation from the recent deluge of water. It will be removed upon the application of the brake.

If you are talking the hub, this is also common to Lex, especially the ES.
Couple solutions: 1. get used to it, and it will be gone the next time you have your rotors replaced.
2. paint the hubs and calipers. I did it.

here's a before
Attached Thumbnails Rust on wheels-caliper-painting-4-cl.jpg  
Old 04-18-04, 07:17 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

and the after.
Attached Thumbnails Rust on wheels-caliper-painting-5-cl.jpg  
Old 04-18-04, 07:41 PM
roberttran
Pole Position

Originally posted by steviej
and the after.
What kind of paint is that, Is it just brake paint? Should one clean off the rust first before painting, if so how?

-Robert

Last edited by roberttran; 04-18-04 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-18-04, 08:39 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Rust on wheels

Originally posted by Hopeful
Linda
After you wash the car, don't put the car back in garage right away. You should at least drive it at moderate speed for a few minutes. That'll spin the water off the wheels and brakes.

No rust on my 2002 RX300.
Old 04-18-04, 08:40 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

It is G2 Brake Caliper paint. i got it from TireRack.com.

I used a wire brush and got the most serious rust off. The kit comes with a cleaner to use before painting.
The paint is thick and actually forms a protective skin over the rust. The paint will outlast the rust and the rust will be gone with the rotor is replaced. Then I just get another kit and paint it again.

steviej
Old 04-18-04, 09:20 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by steviej
It is G2 Brake Caliper paint. i got it from TireRack.com.

I used a wire brush and got the most serious rust off. The kit comes with a cleaner to use before painting.
The paint is thick and actually forms a protective skin over the rust. The paint will outlast the rust and the rust will be gone with the rotor is replaced. Then I just get another kit and paint it again.

steviej
Awesome info on the GS paint--will get some some of that for the hub.

To clarify, what I get is rust on the hub of the rotor, not brake disc itself. Anyways, will look into that before the rusting gets a mind of its own. Surprised that Lexus doesn't paint their rotor hubs from the beginning like some of the other car manufacturers. . .
Old 04-19-04, 05:15 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

It's a shame that Lexus doesn't paint their rotor hats on most models (I'm pretty sure the IS has painted rotor hats, due to the very open 5 spoke wheels).

Follow steviej's advice, G2 (or the Folia-Tec brush on epoxy kit) is the way to go. The actual rotors (not the hats) don't rust because the pads polish the surface every time the brakes are applied.

Getting new rotors is not the answer unless they're pre-painted or come with a special alloy coating (my Brembo's I bought last summer stayed rust free for all of one week, they obviously weren't the higher-end zinc plated ones )
Old 04-19-04, 08:17 PM
Hopeful
Rookie

Default Here's a picture...

This is the rust I'm talking about. Should I just steel brush it away?
Old 04-19-04, 08:19 PM
Hopeful
Rookie

Default Oops..where'd it go?

Hope it works this time.
Attached Thumbnails Rust on wheels-rust.jpeg.jpg  
Old 04-19-04, 09:02 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

StevieJ has the right idea, and while I wish HarrierAWD's fix would work, it's not that easy, at least for me. Here in LA, it does not rain from April thru October, and I don't need to wash my (covered) car much. Still, the iron on my hubs turn that awful shade of rust no matter what I do (or don't do). That is, until I painted the hubs.

The good news is that, with a little wire brushing and some (optional) masking, you can get that shiny look pictured above with just a $2.99 can of Hot paint from Pep Boys. That's what I used. The instructions on the can says you are supposed to cure the finished parts in an oven to cure the paint, but I didn't and it still worked. Plus, that stuff is so cheap I put on a new coat every time my wheels are off. Of course, the $30 caliper paint is better. But I'm just saying you can get 95% of the effect for only 10% of the cost.

I used to mask off certain parts but now I hardly bother- any paint that sprays onto the rotor is shaved off as soon as you apply your brakes.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 04-19-04 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-19-04, 10:12 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LA is tough, because it's always humid (unless you are in the S.B. valley.) I'm actually in Colorado, where the humidity is like 15% on a bad hair day.