Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

resurface pads when changing rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-04, 07:59 AM
waldis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default resurface pads when changing rotors?

i am going to change my oem rotors soon. i brought a set of used rotors with about 2000 miles on them. my question is, when i am changing my rotors, do i also need to change the pads? i have heard that i might have to sand the pads a little bit to have a smooth surface.
any help will be great. thanks
Old 04-15-04, 11:22 AM
TxLexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends- Are your pads needing to be change?
If your pads look good and still has life on it. I would sand it on conrete. Like the sidewalk til the surface looks dull.

Just my opinion, I am not a mechanic, I am a diy kinda guy. Whatever tricks I know, I ll share.

Good luck
Old 04-17-04, 12:09 PM
saber
Pole Position

The only foolproof way to avoid problems like squealing brakes or pedal pulsations or front end vibrations while cruising at freeway speeds is to use new OEM rotors in combination with new OEM pads and break them in gently for the first few hundred miles and even after breakin, don't be an overly aggressive, hurried driver around town like so many owners are nowadays. One huge benefit of modifying your driving style like this is that your rotors will last a long time and never need to be turned (which just grinds away valuable life off the rotors). Instead, you'll just need to replace the pads when they wear out and never have to replace the rotors unless they become thinner than the minimum factory spec for thickness due to normal wear.
Old 04-17-04, 08:23 PM
waldis
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by saber
The only foolproof way to avoid problems like squealing brakes or pedal pulsations or front end vibrations while cruising at freeway speeds is to use new OEM rotors in combination with new OEM pads and break them in gently for the first few hundred miles and even after breakin, don't be an overly aggressive, hurried driver around town like so many owners are nowadays. One huge benefit of modifying your driving style like this is that your rotors will last a long time and never need to be turned (which just grinds away valuable life off the rotors). Instead, you'll just need to replace the pads when they wear out and never have to replace the rotors unless they become thinner than the minimum factory spec for thickness due to normal wear.

so are u saying other brands of brake pads are not recommended to use with oem rotors? i have ebc greenstuff brake pads and they have been working fine for me....but i am not sure if they are the reason why i have had brake pulses
Old 04-18-04, 09:37 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I used the Greenstuffs before and no vibration unlike what I am experience now with my Lexus brake pads. Still, the Greenstuffs did have good stopping power, but did not last very long. Lexus brake pads have lasted longer and seem to now having better stopping power. I think Lexus changed their design about 2 years ago.
Old 04-18-04, 12:19 PM
saber
Pole Position

are u saying other brands of brake pads are not recommended to use with oem rotors? i have ebc greenstuff brake pads and they have been working fine for me....but i am not sure if they are the reason why i have had brake pulses [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, Toyota OEM pads and rotors have been painstakingly engineered to provide quiet, long lasting performance in a wide range of climates and driving situations.

Aftermarket pads will wear down the OEM rotors prematurely and increase the changes of pedal pulsations and wobbles.

However, OEM rotors will develope wobbles too if the driver doesn't break in the brakes correctly or drives and stops too hurriedly or if the wheel lug nuts are overtightened by the impact wrenches many shops use.

I have a Toyota pickup with 437,400 miles still using it's original rotors. No wobbles or pulsations to date and the rotors have never been turned. I used nothing but Toyota pads. So clearly, the Toyota engineers have done their homework.