Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Transmission Behavior

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-04, 05:59 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Behavior

Hey all -

Just picked up a 95 SC400 (I have yet to post picks, I just did a complete Zaino paint overhaul so it's lookin nice) with 87,000 miles. I recently sold my 93 SC400 with 154,000 on it. My 95 is much nicer in many ways. But there are a few things that concern me. The transmission doesn't shift quite as smooth as my high-miler did. It has a SLIGHT jerk to it in the 1-2 shift. And whereas my 93 would provide seamless full-throttle shifts, my 95 does not. Mind you, they're not sloppy or even jerky, just not standard Lexus performance. I'm getting ready to have the 90k service done and am wondering how much, if any, I can expect the tranny fluid change to calm the shifts. Is it common for the shifts to be nearly imperceptible as I so often hear? Or is it normal for it to have a bit of a "sporty" feel? Also, when cold, it hesitates slightly when barely coming off of idle at a stop light. Are plugs and wires part of the 90k service package? If so, I'm hoping that would cure it.

Please let me here any thoughts or any comparisons.

Thanks in advance,
Matt
Old 04-07-04, 06:43 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Flushing and changing the fluid could make a big impact on the transmission behavior. I don't know if you have the service history but if it has been a while (more than 30k miles) or the previous owner used Dexron instead of Toyota Type IV you could see a nice change in transmission behavior.
Old 04-09-04, 10:00 AM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Transmission Behavior

remember most, if not all, of the lexus transmission have an adaptive computer that learns the owners driving habits, in other words, if you floor the car alot, it'll remember that and give youy a harder shift. I'd start by resetting the ecu, by either pulling the fuse or disconnect positive lead to the battery. and make sure that the tranny fluid in the car is type -IV
Old 04-10-04, 09:19 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

It's been about 35k since the transmission fluid has been replaced. And I'm fairly certain the 90k will help a lot. I just took the car on a 400 mile trip and it performed beautifully. It was during this trip that I finally fell in love with the car. I got a hair under 25 mpg in the rain with the A/C on. And stepped out of the car without an ache in my body. Awesome. These things were made to be driven. I can't wait to have the service done! Thanks for your ideas and suggestions!
Old 04-13-04, 12:46 AM
saber
Pole Position

Independent service shops and even a few Lexus dealers will sometimes install an
aftermarket transmission fluid instead of genuine Toyota Type T-IV fluid because
the Type T costs the shop more money and therefore eats more into shop profits.

Some shops are also installing Dexron III fluid in place of Toyota Type T-IV even though
Toyota and Lexus have published a Technical Service Bulletin warning against doing this.

To restore the seamless shifting, you need to make sure the transmission fluid gets
changed with Toyota Type T-IV. You can buy is for about $3.80 a quart at Toyota
dealers http://www.saber.net/~monarch/typet.jpg Even a partial fluid change to Type T-IV
will restore alot of the original shift quality.
Old 04-13-04, 08:09 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

Thanks Saber. I'm aware of the damage Dexron III and other fluids can do the tranny. My friend offered to change the fluid on my 93 SC, unaware of its T-IV requirements. At first it was shifting beautifully. The next day I got in and it would barely make it out of my driveway it was slipping so bad. I immediately went and got T-IV and flushed the tranny 3 times (myself). But, the shop I go to now (Exact Performance) is owned by our local Lexus Dealership's ex-service manager. Some of the technicians are former Lexus technicians and they're all lexus enthusiasts. They use nothing but genuine Lexus parts, so I have quite the piece of mind now. But, I'm actually looking forward to getting the service done. They charge quite a bit less than Lexus, and I'm a dealer so I get a discount on the parts. It will end up running around $290-300, for everthing but the timing belt.