Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

which brand of coolant??

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-04, 05:26 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using FLeetguard with no silcates etc since 95. Again Toyota is nothing special. Toyoya is not the only one out there with coolants. Plus Lexus has stated any EG coolant is fine, per Lexus for my lexus year (98). The Fleetguard stuff is great with no problems in my car, bike tractor. Next is that there are many coolants that are low silicates. Low means usually below approx 2ppm, that is low enough for a Lexus or any car.

Also the Toyota is $13 for 1-gallon, retail? So $13 for normal EG coolant with red dye!!! Sure, okay, that is a great deal and a half. I bet wholesale is 3 to 4 per gallon. Lexus is doing the usuall, screw the customers. As much as I love the cars, they service and parts are a complete joke. It is like the $250 for plugs and wires they wanted to charge me! Too bad it was $80 my price for OEM shipped to my house. Nevermind the $80 was retail. So the dealer is even screwing you more.

Also it seems that Lexus strives on Lexus customers of having a DEEP pocket with unllimited amounts of cash, bonds, etc. And they hope they are also dumb as a rock. People again love the service but you are paying for the leather couch in the waiting room, to fancy tv, the "comm" port for your computer. To sum it up, Lexus serice is not any better then any other dealers out there. They get the same workers that have worked at Ford, GM etc. All do the same thing, follow the process/book and that is it. I am not saying it is easy but I see the same guys moving around, using the electronic, installing parts. Again not working for NASA here, there workers are not any better then anyone else. Just get a paycheck from Lexus instead of a GM, etc logo/.

Next I only hope that dealers are not using regular Prestone for coolant. Yes it will work, but the stuff is high in all sort of things/areas. On that Note, when I have my Powerstroke Diesel Ford's coolant was just like Prestone (sucky) but the user had to add the SCA after adding coolant.

So as stated per Lexus in an email. For my year, 98, any EG coolant is fine. People can say this and that but again Lexus says it is fine.

If you want to insure good coolant and clean coolant, use a coolant filter that can get pre-charged.

Side note: Dex-cool is fine in most cars, yes there is some problems (like any car item out there) does not mean the stuff does not work. Most of the time, it is the owner that screws it up. If you switch it out make sure you remove and flush out the sys 1,000%. I would not switch because I think it might cause you more problems down the road, but that is me.

Last edited by mburnickas; 06-05-04 at 07:05 AM.
Old 06-05-04, 08:21 AM
saber
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by mburnickas
I have been using FLeetguard with no silcates etc since 95. Again Toyota is nothing special.
Also the Toyota is $13 for 1-gallon, retail? So $13 for normal EG coolant with red dye!!!
Shell Fleetguard antifreeze was silicate free in 1995? That's news to me. What is the exact title of the Shell Fleetguard product (Shell has several) that you have been using since 1995? What are the ingredients listed on the bottle or product data sheet? Genuine Toyota Long Life Antifreeze is special and unique because it contains not only ethylene glycol, but diethylene glycol, organic acid salt and inorganic acid salt. That's why it's referred to as a hybrid organic acid antifreeze. No aftermarket antifreeze at NAPA, PEP BOYS, AUTOZONE etc. has this special chemistry. So it's not correct for you to say "So $13 for normal EG coolant with red dye!!!"
Old 06-05-04, 10:51 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

Yup, and they also have other coolants that are also silicate free etc. Which one is up to you to figure out. Not rocket science here. Many rigs have been using this stuff for years & there are other corporations that make silicate free, phos free etc. Lexus/Toyota again is not in the coolant business. Neither you nor Lexus can prove anything that their product is any better then others only equal at best. I have been through this on another Lexus forum and it is the same crap. Someone says this and that when the parent company, Lexus, does not tell me the same thing. No proof that you must use this coolant nor does it prevent anything.

I have emailed Lexus on this issue and they came back and stated, “…any EG coolant is fine for model year….” So unless someone knows MORE then Lexus (people how manufacture, design, etc THIS car), they are incorrect on this topic. Again, any EG coolant is fine per Lexus, that is from the horses mouth….LEXUS. It is highly unlikely that some person on any Lexus forum knows more then a billion dollar corporation that makes their car.

Also yes, their coolant is a rip-off and it will not prevent anything. Prove to me since Lexus can’t, that the added price has some added benefit? So far Lexus can’t tell me in any document. So if you have proof that their coolant is better, has advantages along with data please post it since Lexus tells me any EG coolant is fine & that is in print!

PS- If you think Pep boys, auto zone etc will carry anything over a $7.00 coolant think again. Look at the people that go there. Not saying they are bad, but you get what you pay for (with some items). People do not want to spend the $80 for pads. They want the $20 ones since they could car less.

Last edited by mburnickas; 06-05-04 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-05-04, 11:27 AM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey, Im not saying Lexus service is good, I do all the work on my car. I AM saying that Genuine Toyota Parts and fluids are some of the best you can buy for your Genuine Toyota car. Thats why I only use Toyota parts/fluids...except for some Redline MTL, Mobil1, and Denso iridiums

But if it comes down to some brand like Prestone versus Toyota, I will ALWAYS choose Toyota
Old 06-05-04, 11:35 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

Agreed, I like some of Toyota parts, some Denso etc. It is just think that some items are nothing short of a marketing ploy.

If it came down to Prestone or Toyota I would gladly use Toyota; however, there any many coolants that will be just fine in our cars, as stated by Lexus.

Last edited by mburnickas; 06-05-04 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-05-04, 03:43 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

And i disagree on using Toyota oil, our Lexuses and Toyotas are NOT like the Enzo Ferrari or any other Ferrari that require special Shell Helix 5W-40 or 10W-60 synthetic. Toyota uses regular old Valvoline 5W-30 at their plant in Kentucky.
http://www.camryman.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1719
Old 06-05-04, 03:49 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Yea, I wouldnt waste my time with Toyota oil, notice how I said "Mobil1". I know that is just plain ol dino oil, but for the coolant Im gonna continue using Toyota and you cant stop me

Last edited by /Aerostar\; 06-05-04 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-05-04, 06:44 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by /Aerostar\
Yea, I wouldnt waste my time with Toyota oil, notice how I said "Mobil1". I know that is just plain ol dino oil, but for the coolant Im gonna continue using Toyota and you cant stop me
Even Ford Taurus SHO owners are using Toyota Red, since the OEM green Ford uses is rich in silcates!
Old 06-06-04, 12:15 AM
saber
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by nthach
Toyota uses regular old Valvoline 5W-30 at their plant in Kentucky.
http://www.camryman.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1719
Every 2002, 2003 & 2004 Toyota and Lexus owners manual claims genuine Toyota motor oil is the factory fill oil http://www.saber.net/~monarch/ls430a.jpg So is it reasonable to believe Toyota would lie to the American public about this? And since camryman.org has failed to provide scientific proof of their claims (e.g a virgin oil analysis of Valvoline 5W-30 vs. Genuine Toyota 5W-30) is it reasonable to believe them over corporate Toyota?
Old 06-06-04, 04:25 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

Sure that works fine for 2002 and up (so for only 3 models years here) but it does not mean jack for below 2001; that leaves about 7-years of open territory (majority). As I have stated before Lexus says it is fine to use EG coolant, any EG collant in my model year.

What is a complete joke here, is they do not state the reason why or the equiv in your scanned Toyota link. So it is up to the customer, how nice. Still does not tell me why, how come, added benefits, quality, hazards, color, chem comp., installation processes etc. Could it be helpful sure, but it is more a marketing thing. Just says to use the equiv. or Toyota approved coolant. Now that is a global “in the dark statement. Why not inform/print the ASTM, SAE, GM etc specifications it passes so we, the customer can make the proper judgment. Toyota is not “crossing the line” with a new and improved coolant. In the end it still needs to pass certain spec etc, so print them. So that statement is as good as the “take your car in every 5,000 miles so we can screw you”. Like they need to charge me some whacked out price to rotate tires, lube hinges, lube door seals.

I am not saying Toyota is lying just a *****y way of informing their customer on this issue, if this is even an issue. If it is so important then give me, their customer, the proper information and tools so I can select the proper corrective action.

Also I would comment on there oil and I will say this, I do not use it nor would I even use it. But I do use a 100% synthetic engine oil for just a few % more then the Toyoto priced oil.

Last edited by mburnickas; 06-06-04 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-13-09, 12:19 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Is it okay to use Prestone(mixed with my distilled water)? Sorry I didn't have time to read 4 pages, read the first one though. I have an almost full jug in the garage and don't feel like spending more if it's not required.
Old 05-13-09, 12:15 PM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

i dont know about you all but i only use genuine toyota parts on my genuine toyota vehicle...
toyota reccomends genuine toyota long life (03 and down..its red) or super long life (04+ models...its pink) for a reason.

i use...
50/50 mix toyota long life red coolant/distilled water.

for oil i only use mobil 1 5w30 fully synthetic and toyota oil filters.

now granted im a toyota tech and i do all my own work, which saves a great deal of money...i always do all my own work with oem parts only

Last edited by 03 ES; 05-13-09 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-14-09, 02:27 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Just did my coolant flush. Refilled with Prestone Extended mixed with distilled water(50/50). It's a nice green color, looks like gatorade - it even glows a bit
Old 05-14-09, 11:11 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Just did my coolant flush. Refilled with Prestone Extended mixed with distilled water(50/50). It's a nice green color, looks like gatorade - it even glows a bit
The new Prestone and SuperTech is re-dyed Dex-Cool which is what is causing all of GM's cooling system issues - the OAT package in it attacks plastic. Toyota, Honda, Ford and Chrysler state that 2-EHA and sodium/potassium neodecanate coolants such as Dex-Cool are not recommended in their engines.

The only aftermarket coolant I would run would be Peak Global Lifetime/Extended Life which is very, very close to Toyota/Honda coolants minus the phosphates. Zerex G-05 is great stuff too - I've used it in a few Mercedes and a Nissan, but I wouldn't recommend it for in-warranty vehicles due to borate, nitrite and silicate content. Toyota and Honda believe borates and nitrites harm aluminum.
Old 05-15-09, 12:01 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nthach
The new Prestone and SuperTech is re-dyed Dex-Cool which is what is causing all of GM's cooling system issues - the OAT package in it attacks plastic. Toyota, Honda, Ford and Chrysler state that 2-EHA and sodium/potassium neodecanate coolants such as Dex-Cool are not recommended in their engines.

The only aftermarket coolant I would run would be Peak Global Lifetime/Extended Life which is very, very close to Toyota/Honda coolants minus the phosphates. Zerex G-05 is great stuff too - I've used it in a few Mercedes and a Nissan, but I wouldn't recommend it for in-warranty vehicles due to borate, nitrite and silicate content. Toyota and Honda believe borates and nitrites harm aluminum.

Quick Reply: which brand of coolant??