Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Auxillary Fan wont shutdown

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-04, 09:50 PM
FerdiLaco
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auxillary Fan wont shutdown

Hi People,

I am new to ClubLexus, and I find all the forums very informative as well as interesting. I have a question to any ES300 owners out there. My mom has a 1998 Lexus ES300, the mileage is only 61K. my last oil change was at 56k. I had an oil change this afternoon at Lube Express-Walmart. I brought my own oil. it is a Mobil1 10w30 Synthetic Oil, and a FRAM ExtraGuard PH3614. I could have done the oil change myself but you know the hustle of storing used oil and getting underneath is a pain in the butt. So I just paid $7.50 for labor and tax (pretty cheap huh). Anyway, the oil change was done in 10 minutes, and I was out of the Lube Express within a heartbeat. One thing I noticed right after I came home, my auxillary fan wouldn't shutdown or turn-off automatically. I mean, it was so strange that I waited till about 20 minutes and the darn fans are still running. I looked at the Oil Filter, and the area around it had splash of oil probably while removing the old filter and the lube guy felt his arms are getting hot and might have sprinkled on the engine block.

What could be the problem? I can smell a little burnt oil on the engine, but not too much. Can anyone help me please? I need your expert advise before I go to the Lexus Dealer (which is expensive I know). Thanks a lot. Have a great day everyone.

Ferdi

------------------------------------------------
2004 Toyota Celica GT/TRD Edition
2004 Nissan X-Terra V6 SE
Old 03-26-04, 02:36 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcomes to CL, Ferdilaco. Look like the lube guy unplugged the fan switch on the bottom part of the radiator, just look down on the botttom part of the radiator and you will a small connector. The lube guy may unplugged it to cool off the exhaust heat and forgot to plug it back.
Old 03-29-04, 11:47 PM
FerdiLaco
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi VVTI,

Thanks for your reply, I truly appreciate your response to my inquiry. I will check that first thing in the morning tomorrow. You see, when I visited a mechanic friend, he said the upper radiator hose is hot while the lower radiator hose is cold. He said, probably the thermostat is defective and suggests that I have it replaced. You know the car was running perfectly, I just thought of having a change oil that day and when I drove it home, then these problem started to occur. Now one thing I forgot to mention, so the fans will open-up and will not shut down after I turn off the key and pull it from the ignition. But the moment I insert the key and start the engine, the fans will stop to operate. I just do not know if the fans work while the car is running on the freeway.

Thanks a lot, and more power to Club Lexus. Have a great day.

Ferdi Laco