Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

EGR Pipe Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-04, 11:28 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default EGR Pipe Replacement

Need help!

Apparently it is possible to replace a cracked EGR Pipe without removing the intake manifold or dropping the tranny.

The vehicle is a 94 LS 400. Does anyone know the procedure for doing this?

thanks, damon
Old 02-22-04, 06:01 AM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It can be done, but I found that removing the tranny and do the rear main seal and EGR pipe at the same time is easiest way ( for me).
PM, Sooner, I think he got a trick to do the EGR pipe without removing the intake or tranny.
Old 02-23-04, 01:31 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Default Pipe Assy.

Sooner has just mailed some 90-94 specific info to my pm. I will let everyone know how it goes.

Thanksall, Damon
Old 02-24-04, 07:50 AM
Herm
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damon

I am interested also, could you or Sooner please post the 90 - 94 specific info you mentioned ?

Thanks - Herm
Old 02-25-04, 12:10 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Default EGR Pipe assy. Replacement

90-94 LS 400 ( Non-California )

Replacement Info:

From Beneath the vehicle:
Remove the two 12 mm nuts from the rt. side of manifold where the EGR pipe connects.

Remove 12 mm bolt at the back of the block, visible by looking between the right side of the transmission and the exhaust.

Above the vehicle:
Remove two 12 mm bolts at the top of the pipe assembly and slowly slide the assembly out by tilting it to the right.

Reverse procedure to install new part.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: The above is paraphrased from Sooners instructions below:

"there is 2 12 mm nuts on the right hand side manifold where the pipe connects to remove those next there is a 12 mm bolt in the back of the block to see this look between the tright sode of the trans and the exhaust remove this the go to the top remove the 2 12 mm bolts for the top of the pipe thin slowly work the pipe out tilting to the right.reinstall the oppostie way as posted this instructions are on for a 90-94 non californian car.and 95's r different". _______________________________________________________________
Old 02-25-04, 12:24 PM
Herm
Driver

Thanks Damon - does anyone know if the procedure is applicable to california cars. I have a 1993 LS400.
Old 02-25-04, 04:01 PM
Sooner
Pole Position

no it is not you have to remove the intake too
Old 02-26-04, 10:57 AM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 91LS transmission is dropped for oil seals replacement. I also replaced the cracked EGR pipe while at it. I must comment that, due to the odd shape of the EGR pipe, physically removing the pipe is not going to be a walk-in-the-park without removing the trans and tilting the engine. Why? Trans, catalytic convertor, and exhaust pipes are in the way, and very little clearance between rear engine block and firewall. Needless to say, I am very happy I spotted a cracked EGR pipe while the trans is out.

Stats: Cal. 91LS
Old 02-26-04, 11:09 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Default EGR

hyperopt ,

Can we assume from your current location that your 91 is a California version?

Nice spot to catch this while the trans was down.

A "search" for EGR Pipe here at the forum reveals that many members have paid up to $1000 dollars to Dealers to have this assembly replaced so although it may indeed be tough to do without dropping the Transmission or removing the intake manifold ,it is indeed possible. I believe that Sooner estimated that he can usually perform this replacement in 40 minutes.

Goal here is to make mechanics that participate in the Club Lexus Forum & owners aware that there is a cost & time saving procedure.

Damon
Old 03-18-04, 01:10 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Default Done

Tackled this today.

Not much fun. The schematic showed only the 4 bolts referenced by Sooner in previous post as accessible from top or bottom. The real world throws you a nasty curve on a 94 LS, The one he describes as in the back of the block will consume most of your time. Above the passenger side cat you will find 2 studs which are easy to remove from below, towards the firewall on top of the engine there are 2 bolts which are a simple task , but the bolt on the back of the engine above the transmission,( which did not appear on the schematic which I utilized as a reference) that Sooner makes mention of is an absolute bastard!! Very little room between it and the firewall. I would by no means describe it's location as "visible".

3 bolts , 2 studs, 5 connection points total!

RESULTS: Sounds much better , but I had better see a mileage reward before my burns heal. Not kidding!!!

94 LS
Part # 25601-50010
price $116.14 from Carson

Good news is that Sooner is absolutely correct. It is possible to replace this piece on a 94 without dropping the Tranny or removing the intake manifold

Last edited by damon; 06-18-08 at 02:28 AM.
Old 06-15-08, 05:06 PM
Herm
Driver

The egr pipe on my 1993 ls400 cracked right at the flange where it mates to the intake manifold.

I've been searching the forums and noticed Sooner said the california cars are different. Can Sooner or anyone else give additional details on the procedure for california cars ?

Sooner states the intake manifold must be removed. Is this for clearance to get the pipe in and out ? Looks like I have a clear shot to get to the bolts holding the egr pipe to the back of the intake manifold so I do not yet understand why it needs to come out.

appreciate any advice or comments.

REGARDS

Herm
Old 06-15-08, 09:33 PM
Sooner
Pole Position

harness and piping make it hard to not remove. so you need to remove it...the egr pipes are different as well

sooner
Old 06-16-08, 06:59 AM
Herm
Driver

Thanks for the info, I'll post when I do the job.

I have the factory service manuals for my 1993 LS400, so far I have been unable to find a procedure or diagram for the egr pipe replacement. Can anyone send me a section or page number ?

Thanks - Herm
Old 06-18-08, 02:26 AM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Sooner,

Glad to hear & see that you are still around. I will be making at least one trip to Norman this football season.

Hope all is well!
Old 06-18-08, 04:00 AM
Herm
Driver

Is the california EGR pipe different than the non-california egr pipe (diffrent part number) ? Or is it just the routing that makes it more difficult ?

Thanks - Herm

Quick Reply: EGR Pipe Replacement