Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Please help...total frustration w/ Lexus Service...SC430 and ES300

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-04, 07:20 PM
jjspirer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help...total frustration w/ Lexus Service...SC430 and ES300

I am completely fed up with Lexus. I have been arguing about the outdated navigation system that came with my 2002 SC430 (having read posts, back then, that a newer version was available), which they denied, but said they would look into (and didn't) and the fact that neither my radar or cell phone hands-free unit (both pre-delivery, dealer installed) weren't working at all for almost two years.
Simultaneously, my work horse, 1999 ES 300 has been into Lexus for engine and trac warning lights at least 10 times. I haven't had to deal with it personally, as my son was happy to do it. Each time, they spent less than an hour and sent him home with a car without warning lights on. Within a day they were back on, sometimes flashing, sometimes not. I asked the service rep what the difference was and he said if the lights were flashing not to drive the car. When the engine light started flashing again, they said I needed a new oxygen sensor for $600 (including labor). I replaced it in December and then the warning lights came on again. They tweaked them again and the lights went off. Then back on. Then the car started to vibrate and was towed to Lexus. They replaced the electronics on one of the fuel injectors ($700). The warning lights came back on the next day. The car is in the shop right now. They called yesterday to say that the problem was that I needed two oxygen sensors. I said that I had just replaced one in December. They looked up the records and came back and said "That's great, one is in warranty... you only have to pay for one!" ($400).
Am I crazy or am I being given a complete runaround by Lexus? I don't trust anyone at this point. Please let me know if anyone has had a similar experience. How would you handle it?
Thanks...
Jennifer
Old 02-19-04, 09:14 PM
Phu
Pole Position

Fortunately I've had a long standing relationship with my dealer and they always take care of my problems without hesitation. I would personally talk to the service manager and if he does not resolve your problem then I would call Lexus customer service and tell them your situation. I'm sure Lexus does not want an unsatisfied customer due to bad service.
Old 02-20-04, 07:15 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

tell them see you in court!

an O2 sensor costs around 100. What r they charging you $400

Last edited by aliga; 02-20-04 at 07:15 AM.
Old 02-20-04, 04:44 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

As far as the SC430 goes, I thought the new NAV software just came out in 10/03. In your post it was hard to tell if you were upset with the NAV system when you purchased, or just recently. Every dealer I've talked to said that they won't even install phones or radar detectors. I know it sucks that they don't work, but mine won't even install anything like that. It sounds like a comedy of errors on your ES and I think you should definitely call Lexus customer service about your situation. I think they would want to know. I agree with aliga that that is a LOT of money for an O2 sensor. I just replaced one on my VW and it was $65. I realize that a VW isn't a Lexus, but.....that's a little too big of a difference in price for a part that does the same thing. Good luck. I hope you get things worked out!!!
Old 02-20-04, 08:57 PM
jjspirer
Driver School Candidate

Default Frustration

Thank you to everyone who replied...
My issue with my new 2002 SC430 ( now with 5,000 K) had to do with their lack of response about a few issues that could have easily been addressed. Considering that I paid cash for the car, It seemed cavalier on their part to ignore my minor grievances. I didn't complain about the handling, or the run-flat tires, etc. They happily installed the radar, and gave me my choice of radar products, and installed the cell phone, in a totally (I thought) inaccessible place (the glove box) and insisted that I not let Verizon, our cell phone provider, do it, lest they screw up the delicate electronics. The NAV was simply outdated. These installations were not inexpensive and I paid full price for the car. The cell phone never worked in the car and now I have a newer generation phone which requires a new hands free unit. Do you think Lexus owes me an installation? By the way, where have your cradles been installed?
My '99 ES 300 was great until 35,000 miles, when I bought it off lease and at which time the warning lights began to come on repeatedly. Lots of "adjustments" but no suggestion about replacing the O2 sensors until the car was out of warranty. After doing a posting search today on this site (Thank you, Club Lexus!) of O2 sensors, I had enough information to go in today and talk to the service manager. He looked at the service record of the ES alone and agreed that we hadn't had a good "experience" with Lexus. Bottom line.. no charge. Thanks guys!
Jennifer
Old 02-21-04, 09:09 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

see there.....now don't you feel better now that you vented?

That is one of the reasons for this site.

I could never figure out the O2 sensor racket. Why does one car work with a sensor that cost $30 and another's replacement cost anywhere from $175 to $300 depending on where you get it.
Out of curiosity, I priced a Bosch replacement for O2 sensor next to the firewall and Autozone wanted more than Toyota/Lexus OEM from the dealership. go figure!!!!

steviej

ps...I thought radar detectors where illegal in CT.

Last edited by steviej; 02-21-04 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-26-04, 09:18 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

10 times for the check engine concern? I wonder if there is any Lexus master tech work in that dealership.
JPI
Old 02-27-04, 08:13 AM
jjspirer
Driver School Candidate

It just seemed strange that they kept saying that the problem was fixed and then the same lights would come on again. Why wouldn't Lexus have suspected an O2 problem in the first place? So far the car seems to be handling fine and no lights have come on. But for the last few days, I've heard a squealing sound when I back up. Brakes??? Here we go again!
Jennifer