Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

sc400 engine NG???

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-04, 08:01 AM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sc400 engine NG???

Let me explain.... I own an sc300 which i love and has the best motor around .... starts b4 the key even is fully turned, pulls like a race car and is whisper silent...

My buddy bought an sc400 in pearl white with 200k .. I am interested in taking it off his hands since his wife told him if the Lexus stays then his GT convertible goes.. i also would like to own both the sc300 and sc400... plus i love the car in pearl white.

Ran it this morning... observations
- sluggish .. starts hard and wouldn't hold idle without depressing the gas pedal
- warning lights.. oil (yellow) i believe low pressure and engine light and trac. control
- engine ticks
- in another post i mentioned that there is no master key .. only a valet key
This could be a steal for me in terms of purchase price but don't want a nightmare financially
Do you think the engine is blown or tired?
Whats an inexpensive way to do a compression test?
how can i reset the cluster (since it was changed) to ensure that the warning lights are accurate.
Should i take a chance and buy this otherwise pretty sc as a project or run for the hills?
If engine needed replacement.. and i found one at a good price what could i expect to pay for installation?
Whats it gonna cost to get a master key? Can't even open the trunk right now.
Old 02-12-04, 09:41 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

If you can drive it to the Lexus dealer, have them do a buyer's inspection for about $80, and they'll give you a good run through of the car. You'll probably have to pay a little bit more for a compression test, though.

From what you're saying of the car, I'd shy away from it--too much potential headache and money involved. Get it checked out before you do anything.
Old 02-12-04, 10:07 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Regarding the key, any Lexus dealer can fix you up from the VIN. Some might ask for proof of ownership. We had a key group buy going for a while but I don't see any mention of it now. Don't be shock on the price of the key!

George
Old 02-12-04, 02:33 PM
silversprucesc3
Lexus Champion

I like the idea of having the Lexus dealer check the car out b4 buying... I am aprehensive about the car but since I already own an SC and have 2 other cars in the house, it gives me more flexibilty with a fixer upper... my biggest concern was the lack of apparent power... I am thinking of taking the car for a couple of days to have a more through check and fully warm it up... (COLD in the Northeast)
IS there another way of checking engine compression besides a full compression test? Just trying to gauge how "tired" this motor is..

Last edited by silversprucesc3; 02-12-04 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-12-04, 02:48 PM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Well, if a valve is burned, you should be able to hear that or feel oily residue from the exhaust.

In the old days we used to check for worn rings by taking the car down a longish hill with the foot off the accelerator and then juicing it at the bottom. A burst of blue smoke says the rings are worn.

BTW, these cars are not dogs and if this one is sluggish there may be a timing or tuning issue contributing to it. There are plenty of SC400s with over 200K miles around that are doing just fine.

There is a current thread about the longevity of the SC400. Search for that.

George