Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Electrical System Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-04, 11:04 AM
jrollins
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Electrical System Problem

Hello,
I have question dealing with the electrical system in 1992 LS 400. My battery is drained during normal driving - the alternator is testing out fine (at 14 volts) - I'm thinking it is a bad relay (associated with the charge of the battery) or a fuse is blown. I just bought my LS (and very excited to have it) and the previous owner said he drove thru some high water and then began to experience problems. This appears to be the only issue with the car - its in fantasic shape, runs very smooth and it still has a lot of the original amenities - analog car phone, first aid and tool kit, etc.
Can anybody help?

Jason
Old 02-01-04, 11:08 AM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How may amps the alternator put out? At idle the alternator suppose to put out around 14 volts and 6-10 amps with the fully charge battery. The 1st gen LS are well known to have power steering pump leaking fluid on top of the alternator and kill the alternator after period of time.
Oh, welcomes to CL.

Last edited by VVT-i; 02-01-04 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-01-04, 12:19 PM
jrollins
Driver School Candidate

First, thanks for the quick response.

The power steering pump was just replaced prior to my purchase and I also removed the alternator (not fun when I bought it 2 weeks ago) and had it tested - it had an output of about 14.5 Volts. The battery is new. The previous owner is family and he has offered his help by giving me a history of the vehicle - he told me back in November, he was returning home from the beach and ran into some high water (and drove thru it - not a smart move). The problem with the draining of the battery during driving began right after this event. On occassion, the Battery Warning light comes on, but sometimes it goes off (almost like it is receiving charge from the alternator). The only thing the previous owner said he never did was check the fuses and relays - and after reviewing schematics of the electrical system - there are relays under the hood that control charge (even act as a gate) - when the weather clears up I'm going to check everything with a volt meter. Who knows I might give up and take it to a garage with diagnostic equipment.

What do you think?

By no means am I an expert in these matters - I'm a business consultant and have been researching this probelm like a madman. Any insight or direction into this matter is highly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 02-01-04, 12:41 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree, check the charge fuse and relay first. If they're o.k, you may need to take it to the shop and check it with the machine to get the output reading of the amperes. Good luck.
Old 02-01-04, 12:49 PM
jrollins
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again - stay safe and have a good day.

Jason