Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

How much rust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-04, 06:15 PM
telegix
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much rust?

So how much rust (if any) have you guys on your early lexus's? Just wondering, because here in Canada, they season (meaning salt) the roads quite nicely.. Of course, for you guys who don't live in a place where you have the salt problem, it should last for ever.. I want feedback from the upper states, since it's eaiser to compare to Toronto, Canada.. Thanks..
Old 01-31-04, 04:00 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I live in Minnesota. My LS does not have any rust, but this is only its second winter, it originally came from Texas. The roads here are white right now, and it's not just snow, there is a ton of salt and chemicals on the main roads. I think it will hold up fine though, the lower half of the car is mostly plastic.
Old 01-31-04, 08:47 PM
panos
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hawaii has a very corrosive environment since the salt is airborne. Mine has two rusted quarter inch long nicks, one on the front of the hood (probably chipped by a stone) and one on the lip of the trunck lid probably done by the POs golf clubs. I have not treated them yet, but I have waxed the spots with multiple coats and they have not gotten any worse.

Last edited by panos; 01-31-04 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-01-04, 05:21 PM
telegix
Driver School Candidate

Where about's in hawaii do you live?

I don't know if these exactly count, since there has been damage to the original paint.. But thanks for the info..
Old 02-04-04, 10:50 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

I'm in Toronto as well. I have rust on the rear two wheel wells. I had some just under the window liner and I have some behind the front wheel well.

Just remember, if you do get it repainted, the rust will show under the paint after a year and it will burst in about two years. You can't stop it!!!
Old 02-05-04, 07:24 AM
telegix
Driver School Candidate

It can't be just repainted.. It needs to be treated, filled in, etc.. I've done some body work, and there are products out there which coat and prevent furthur damage.. It however seems, you could easily go 20 years with a car like this, with some minor body work... I imagine the LS430 is even better..
Old 02-05-04, 10:44 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

tel & biz, just courious, what year & model Lexus do you have & have you ever got it rustproofed?
Old 02-06-04, 11:06 AM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Lexusfreak
tel & biz, just courious, what year & model Lexus do you have & have you ever got it rustproofed?
1992. It came factory undercoated. The sc's body is actually galvinized so techically it should not rust. But after 12 seasons of winter/salt abuse I think its good the rust has just started to surface now.
Old 02-06-04, 11:37 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

I hear ya biz,

I assume my 01' came factory undercoated as well...(the previous owner never got it completely rustproofed as he leased the car) I have a friend in Mississauga that is going to do a total rustproofing job with 2 different chemicals of sym tech (best stuff you can get) rustproofing cause as you stated, as the years ad up it's going to start rusting eventually.
Old 02-07-04, 06:34 AM
parula
Instructor

I assume my 01' came factory undercoated
LFreak, take a look under your car, what model do you have? Do you see the undercoating you think is needed? I try to keep the salt washed off here, most winters one can keep up with it. Fern reported corrosion on the rear bumper on this thread which has a lot of good info. imo - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...524#post709524
Curiously Toyota's RAV4 can be purchased with an undercoating package and I heard along the coast they are shipped with it to minimize corrosion issues so I wonder why these pricier cars aren't coated more, maybe it isn't really needed? I keep cars a long time when I get a good one, I'd hate to have this baby rusting in 10 years or so.
Old 02-07-04, 09:31 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Smile

Thanks for the info par,

I had a look under the vehicle and indeed it does appear that it was undercoated. However, undercoating is on thing, the other parts of the car have not been (other than the factory anti-corrosive measures Lexus took to dip the car in before the paint was applied) so that dosen't account for the bottom parts of the doors, under hood (fenders included) & trunk compartment as well that are exposed to our harsh winters with road salt. Funny thing is, there is a lot of debate about "after market" rustproofing the pros & cons of it but 99.0% of the dealers in Canada (all Lexus dealers included) are all to happy to sell it to you ( lot's of different products, at an astronomical price) as an excellent profit for the dealers saying that as long as you come in once a year for an "inspection" that it will not void any factory warranty. In my thread, I mentioned that I have a guy that does this for me.....his main business is from other dealers (some of which are very high end cars) not to mention celeberty's like John Candy (when he was alive) & Wayne Grezkey's father to name just a couple. Because of eliminating the middle man (the dealer) and being on a personal business relationship he charges half as much, uses more of the products when applying and his work is "top shelf".

I have always been a believer in rust proofing your vehicles if you plan to keep them a long time. So far the 4 other vehicles I have owned (2 of which are early 90's GM products & sold to family members) compared to others of the same year(s) you can tell a huge difference in overall body condition because of the fact they were rustproofed professionaly, which ads resale value & longevity to ones investment. Simply "flushing" the car after the winter with water will hold up fairly well for several years I agree, but won't do as good a job in the long run as having it rustproofed every year or two along with proper body maintenance and being garage kept help a lot as well. Just my own opinion.

Old 02-08-04, 06:50 AM
parula
Instructor

If you check the door drains you can likely fell the waxy coating they sprayed in the doors, this feels like the RustyJones stuff I have in my Honda that has no rust that I can see except in a few spots near the wheel wells. I think I even could detect some of this stuff in the drains for the body frame - but not sure. There just isn't enough total coating under the car for my satisfaction like my undercoated Honda or what I bet the RAV4 treatment does, but I have not actually seen the RAV4 coating yet.

Last edited by parula; 02-08-04 at 06:56 AM.
Old 02-13-04, 10:01 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

I don't rustproof each year. The sc was used so there was no point because if rust had started, the rustproofing would have been a waste of money.

However, I wouldn't fully rustproof a new car. Most places drill holes, fill their anti-corrosion fluids and then "plug" the holes with plastic plugs. It is those areas (the plugs) that tend to rust over the years.

The most I would do is get the factory undercoating, and each winter get one of those underbody oilbased protectants.