Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Alternatives to the yellow grease used in the tilt steering worm drive?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-04, 09:37 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Alternatives to the yellow grease used in the tilt steering worm drive?

Since the grease used is $50/tube, and the service department didn't have any, can i use something like low-temp Lubriplate for garage door openers? Or do i need to find a service department that will give me a bit?
Old 01-29-04, 04:47 PM
98 LS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Alternatives to the yellow grease used in the tilt steering worm drive?

Originally posted by nthach
........ can i use something like low-temp Lubriplate for garage door openers? ..........
nthach .....

That's the first thing that came to mind for me too.

Unless for some strange reason it is not compatable?
Old 01-29-04, 05:04 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Do not use another kind of grease beside the yellow grease from Lexus. I know one of the customer did this with wheel bearing grease to lubricated the steering shaft and worm. He'd end up buying a whole new column for $1,200.00+ labor( his steering shake like hell when its go in and out).
Old 02-03-04, 06:24 AM
98 LS
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by VVT-i
Do not use another kind of grease beside the yellow grease from Lexus. I know one of the customer did this with wheel bearing grease to lubricated the steering shaft and worm. He'd end up buying a whole new column for $1,200.00+ labor( his steering shake like hell when its go in and out).
I agree that wheel bearing grease is not the right lubricant!!

But ....... there is most likely a suitable/available alternative for plastic gears other than "Lexus" brand?
Old 02-03-04, 03:24 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

The best way is, just ask your service advisor( if you still service your car at Lexus) and ask him to go ask one of the tech to spare some of the steering wheel lubrication. Or may be just talk to one of the tech and ask for one bottle. I got about 10 of them on my bench, because every time I have to the steering column the part dept. give me one bottle,but all I need is just a little bit( one tea spoon).
Old 02-03-04, 03:27 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by VVT-i
The best way is, just ask your service advisor( if you still service your car at Lexus) and ask him to go ask one of the tech to spare some of the steering wheel lubrication. Or may be just talk to one of the tech and ask for one bottle. I got about 10 of them on my bench, because every time I have to the steering column the part dept. give me one bottle,but all I need is just a little bit( one tea spoon).
10? :eek: my local dealer didn;'t have any in the service department!
Old 02-03-04, 04:00 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Yes, when we order the steering column parts( warranty) the part guy just went ahead and added a bottle of yellow grease. The TSB for the 01-03 LS430 and 98- LX470 will list the yellow grease as the part that need to be order. A while ago I have to do at least once a week and all I need is just one tea spoon for one 2 oz bottle. I can ship it to you, if you want to help me on shipping cost and small shipping box to put this 2 1/2 x 2/12 from Atl to CA.
Old 02-04-04, 10:40 AM
Faceless1
Driver School Candidate

I know that your local dealer suggested doing the TSIB to correct the problem. The vehicle should still be under coverage for that repair. However, if that is not an option, the repair that works everytime is to remove the telescopic and tilt motor spring screws. These screws can be removed with a 6mm and a 4mm allen male socket. The actual size of socket may vary based on model, but once the screws are removed add a shim to each screw and reinstall the scerwsover the shims. Shims are simply washers that fit over the threads on the screw. This will remove any noise that you may be hearing from your steering wheel during operation of the motors.