Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Is LS430 oil change easy to do at home?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-04, 11:34 AM
gsnav
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is LS430 oil change easy to do at home?

Hey Guys,

I was wondering where the oil filter is on a LS430. Cause i wonder if it's as easy as the GS. Thanks guys.

GsNav
Old 01-23-04, 11:43 AM
Rice
Pole Position

Should be in the same place... On the lower left of the engine.
And the task is simple enough, but why would you ever want to do it yourself???
Old 01-23-04, 01:47 PM
buttons
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have to take off the lower engine cover to get access---10mm --about 10 bolts
have at at--need either synthetic now or 10-30 if in the south
Old 01-24-04, 09:15 AM
rybikowsky
Driver

I do my own oil changes,that way I know it is done right. Although It does not matter to some, It saves you money. I suggest you get one of the oil change pumps That way you can chane the oil from the top and not have to remove the bottom sheild Unless the car has been badly neglected there is no need to change the oil filter every time If you do want to change the filter you can get at it with only dropping one side of the sheild. Have the oil warm to drain not hot. and put some oil on the new filter seal.
Old 01-24-04, 11:56 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by rybikowsky
I suggest you get one of the oil change pumps That way you can chane the oil from the top and not have to remove the bottom sheild Unless the car has been badly neglected there is no need to change the oil filter every time If you do want to change the filter you can get at it with only dropping one side of the sheild. Have the oil warm to drain not hot. and put some oil on the new filter seal.

Hey GSNAV,
I doubt your going to do it the way Rybikowsky stated but just in case, I wouldn't advice sucking/pumping the oil from the top of the engine out. That's the worst way to change oil because all the sediment settles to the bottom of the pan what the filter does not get. Also, the oil filter should be changed each time and not neglected/skipped. The filter should be changed at each oil change so definitely change it.
I am pretty sure you probably agree with me anyway.
Old 01-25-04, 08:15 AM
rybikowsky
Driver

Sharp. I think you did not read what I said carefully. Let me offer some bona fides first. I have been the general manager In both auto and motorcycle dealerships. I compleated a marine engine course, and a aircraft and engine course. I have also cut open many oil filters to look at contents most were just about like new. Sharp I said in my previous letter "If the car had not been neglected." a none neglected car will not have any solids laying in the bottem of the oil pan. and when the oil is warm what particles there are. Are in suspension. Many top line marques garages now us top side oil removal. Happy new year,
Old 01-25-04, 10:20 AM
SRK
Driver

Well let's see. If you don't change the filter, you fail to eliminate as much of the used oil as possible, which then degrades the fresh oil you are putting in.
Because you haven't "seen" particles doesn't mean the filter isn't important. Last I heard good oil filters filter down to just a few microns, and my eyes can't see that small.
The factory advises oil filter changes with the oil.
Marine engines are usually installed without much care as to servicing, although many now have bottom drains hooked to extraction systems, and that has proven far more effective than the dipstick method. Why most manufacturer/installers of marine engines fail to provide for easy oil changing on engines worth tens of thousands of dollars is beyond me.
Aircraft piston engines use strainers in most cases, and magnetic particle detectors. Turbines use mag particle detection, and do not usually require oil changes between overhauls.
Cars maintenance isn't rocket science. Change the oil and filter at or before the recommended intervals, and be happy.