Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Toyota OEM oil filter=made in Thailand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-04, 05:11 PM
RA40
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 473 Likes on 363 Posts

Thanks Jay-

On another forum, Purolator is highly talked about but that was relative to the Fram 8A sized filters.
Old 03-01-04, 01:40 AM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Kimbill
Folks:

That's called "outsourcing", "globalization", "squeezing cost out". It's the way of this shrinking world. I paid $35 for an oil filter for my Amarican made marine diesel. However, when I opened the the bright red box (the company colors of the diesel manufacturer), the filter within was silver with Asian characters all over it -- no english. Obviously, they found a cheaper source -- same quality --better price.

Do we really believe the Lexus filters are better? Do they offer better filters for Lexus than a Toyota Tercel? Come on folks, you know they don't. It's called "marketing", and we buy into it. Do we believe the Pennzoil Walmart provides in a $15 oil change is of lesser quality than the oil Lexus uses? I'm reminded of a fellow worker years ago who bought the next better model Chevrolet, because he thought it would have a better quality engine*&^%$(*&

We Lexus owners have a tendency to become addicted to our dealers, and their offerings.

Bill
You appear to be assuming that different items meant for the same purpose must all be of the same quality, without an actual examination of the core components. And that the difference is all in marketing. This approach doesn't seem any better than those who assume they're getting a higher quality part just because they're paying a higher price. Retailers love both of these types of people.

I haven't seen anyone here claim that the 90915-20004 (and the slightly smaller 90915-20003) is a better filter simply because it costs more. And it isn't a Lexus-specific part either. The reason why many prefer to use this filter is because:
1. After examination, the filter appears to have the best build quality of all the Toyota OEM filters.
2. This is the filter that has come stock on new Toyota V8 engines built in Japan for many years.
Old 03-06-04, 06:57 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the pics of the insides of a toyota v8 oil filter to compare to the new ones.. http://www.planetsoarer.com/filters/filters.htm

Last edited by Skulinex; 03-06-04 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-06-04, 10:50 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I opened up a Fram PH3614, all i can say is stay away from this filter, it's very cheaply made.
Old 03-08-04, 03:31 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Lexus & Toyota filter aside, Mobil 1 filters are the best out there money can buy. They are a bit more expensive than regular filters (mainly because of their synthetic media & the excellent construction of the filter) but as the saying goes....."you only get what you pay for".......Just my opinion.
Old 03-08-04, 02:21 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Lexusfreak
Lexus & Toyota filter aside, Mobil 1 filters are the best out there money can buy. They are a bit more expensive than regular filters (mainly because of their synthetic media & the excellent construction of the filter) but as the saying goes....."you only get what you pay for".......Just my opinion.
Mobil 1, K&N, AC Delco, Wal-Mart SuperTech, STP, and Champ oil filters are all made by Champion Labs. I see no sense in buying a $8 Mobil 1 when i can get the equivalent SuperTech from Wal-Mart for $1.97.
Old 03-09-04, 04:44 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Exclamation

I would have to double check with my sources on that one nthach, I've seen several write up's on the oil filter subject (where dozens on filter's are taken apart to see the construction of the filter media etc) the Mobil 1 oil filter beat all comers, including the ones you mentioned by a large margin! & I've seen stats that prove the Mobil 1 filter (synthetic filter media) has better filtration to catch smaller particles than those you mentioned as well. All this within the last year. I dought the Walmart supertech uses the same filter media as the Mobil 1. We do however agree on one matter......Fram filters are garbage plain & simple.
Old 03-09-04, 07:32 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Lexusfreak
I would have to double check with my sources on that one nthach, I've seen several write up's on the oil filter subject (where dozens on filter's are taken apart to see the construction of the filter media etc) the Mobil 1 oil filter beat all comers, including the ones you mentioned by a large margin! & I've seen stats that prove the Mobil 1 filter (synthetic filter media) has better filtration to catch smaller particles than those you mentioned as well. All this within the last year. I dought the Walmart supertech uses the same filter media as the Mobil 1. We do however agree on one matter......Fram filters are garbage plain & simple.
www.bobistheoilguy.com

knock yourself out.
Old 03-09-04, 10:39 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Question comments & questions on Oil Filters

Very intresting I must say nt......however I tried to register on this site as I have many questions about the oil filter subject in general (not sure if I should just ask on this forum or not) & for whatever reason it keeps telling me that I am (or my e-mail address) is banned No idea why......it's the first time I've tried to register so who knows?! One of my questions are, what would you suggest as the best (and cheaper) alternative(s) to the Mobil 1 filter? I make special trips to the states (it is not offered in Canada) just to get the Mobil one filter because I've heard how good it is compared to everything else on the market. Walmart Canada does not sell the SuperTech brand up here either.....I'm leaning to either AC Delco or the Napa Gold which I can get north of the border...What do my fellow Canadian Lexus owners do as I'm not impressed with the results of the Toyota Filter's. Suggestions anybody? Thanks for the info by the way
Old 03-10-04, 12:08 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Keep trying....!

Dunno why you can't register but try again and in the meantime you can still use the search feature on the BOBisTHEoilGUY site. As you might have already seen, there's a lot of posts on the demise of the 20004 and the search for alternatives, with the Supertech and Motorcraft FL-400S looking good.

As previously stated, the more often you change your oil, the less of an issue the filter media becomes, leaving the effectiveness of the anti-drainback valve as one of the few differences worth arguing about.

One interesting post on the BOBisTHEoilGUY site mentions a good ADBV test to be performed at your next oil change- after you remove the old filter, fill it up with warm, used oil, then plug the threaded hole with a short bolt. Then place it on its side (the usual position on our V8s) and observe how long it takes for the oil to flow out.

I'll be doing that at my next oil change and will post the results in a new thread I am starting in the Maintenance Forum called: "Oil Filter Anti-Drain Back Valve Test - Post your results here". Those of you that change your own oil and are interested in participating are welcome to join in- here's the thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...hreadid=113128
Old 03-10-04, 12:53 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Excellent idea perry, I'm courious to see the results from other members. Just courious, what oil filter(s) do you use? I have e-mailed Champion Laboratories as well asking them about the oil filter(s) they make with other brand names on them & I will share what they had to say if / when they respond. I've read some of the forms from the link at bobtheoilguy's website....I'm still finding it hard to fathum that the Mobil 1 filter as an example is the exact same as the Supertech brand found at Walmart. This should be a very intresting thread as time goes on. Does anybody have part numbers for an 01' ES in the Supertech and other recommended "good" oil filters at all?
Old 03-10-04, 01:13 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I use whatever is on sale. You name it, I've used it, including Fram. Sometimes I change it myself and sometimes I let the local Goodyear or Firestone dealer change it when I see their coupons in the newspaper (that's the only reason I check the Sports section). Last year, there was a coupon for $9.99, this month's coupon is for $12.99- less than half of what Jiffy and EZ Lube charge here in L.A.

The cheaper oil changes are, the more often I am encouraged to do it. If, after we see some posts on the ADBV thread, we see that a certain filter holds the oil in much longer than the others, I'd certainly consider using that one exclusively, as long as I can find it on sale.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 03-10-04 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-10-04, 02:49 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

If you want to experiment, go to a truck parts store, and get either a Fleetguard LF3335 or LF3874, or get them to cross-reference a Fram PH3614 to a Baldwin or Donaldson filter. Fleetguard is owned by Cummins, OEM on all Cummins diesel engines.
Old 03-10-04, 02:51 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Napa Gold 1348(Wix 51348) is also a very good filter, it's made by Wix.
Old 03-11-04, 12:43 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I heard Wix were pretty damn good filters.

Quick Reply: Toyota OEM oil filter=made in Thailand?