Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

PCV Valve

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-03, 07:41 PM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV Valve

OK guys,
I was doing my service today and have some questions.
1) I used a purealator air filter because they didn't have the K&N should I get rid of this as soon as possible ( I am looking for a cold air intake soon anyway )
2) I used the K&N Gold series oil filter instead of Mobil1, anyone have any info on this filter.
3) please see my trans fluid question post.
4) was unsure of the location of the PCV valve. Thought I had it but the hose was being really stubborn so I thought I'd ask first.
Sorry so many questions
Old 12-29-03, 10:14 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As for the air filter, it is fine, just change it out in a year or 15k miles (or if it gets dirty before the year is up).

The K&N oil filters are equal in qualilty to the Mobil 1 and OEM. The added feature of the K&N is the molded-on nut. It is extremely helpful when removing and installing the oil filter from the 1MZFE (ES) engine.

If the PCV is similar to the ES then it is a 90° angle piece that sticks into the engine and has a hose clamped on to the end sticking out. Try searching, there was a thread that demosntrated location, removal and installation on an ES It may be similar. It appeared about 10 mo. to a year ago. The PCV valve can be really stubborn if it hasn't been changed in a while. Careful not to break it off inside the block.

steviej

Last edited by steviej; 12-29-03 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-29-03, 03:01 PM
mickey513
Driver School Candidate

The air filter is fine, change it once a year or 15k miles like what the person above pointed out. The K&N filter is top notch, so don't worry about it. As for the pcv valve, what year is your car? If yoru car is a newer model, it will not need replacing. Just take out the pcv valve and shake it, if you still hear it "rattle" then it is still good.
Old 12-29-03, 10:24 PM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

My car is a 92SC400.
Thanks for the info on the filters guys I feel better now.
As for the PCV valve I picked one up and it looks like it hasn't been changed for a while due to how hard it is to get the hose off of it.
I will be changing it this weekend if someone could show me a pic just so I am sure I have the right part on the engine.
Thanks.
Old 12-30-03, 09:28 AM
mburnickas
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HotBoy - I must disagree and not put a K&N air filter in your care. They are not worth the extra money and might screw up the mass flow sensor along with other sensors. I tried a Amsoil on my last truck and it messed up several sensor (air sensor and baro sensor). I tried the K&N and it did the same thing. I then used paper filters from Fleetguard and never had a problem again. And no I did not over oil the filters.

I remember reading somewhere that the K&N only gives slight extra HP at high flow rates; hence, high rpms. So you will get no added HP at regular driving (which 75% of us do). Also I do not recommend any oil glazed air filters in today’s cars because of the oil/sensor reasons.

Also I believe K&N does not filter any better then paper filters. I would do an oil test when using K&N and then again with a top-of-the-line paper filter and see what happens. It will show up on the report as silicates or increase in silicone.

The PCV might be hard coming out. Just turn at the base where it goes into the gromit on engine. I would but a lvery ight film of grease on the new one to help come off next time.