Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Mobile 1 oil change - great write up

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-03, 06:10 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mobile 1 oil change - great write up

Hey guys,
Wanted to share this article with you. I currently use Mobile 1 and after reading this, I will continue to use it and will just change the oil at around 7k miles vs the 4k I was currently doing. This will saving me money, help preserve the environment, and decrease the wear on my engine:

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html
Old 12-10-03, 08:21 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

I'll bet changing the filter w/o changing the oil (as was recommended) makes a huge mess!!!

But I've been an M1 guy for many years now.............

Last edited by mooretorque; 12-10-03 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-10-03, 01:29 PM
ruki400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to see more articles before I take this
as absolute truth, although interesting none the less.
Old 12-10-03, 02:17 PM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to agree with using Mobil 1, but also would have to seem more to buy a lot of what I am reading in that article.
Old 12-10-03, 04:19 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In case it isn't obvious yet, this means that the most wear occurs in the first 3,000 miles.
This may turn out to be true but I did not see in the article how the total metals' levels, presumably indicating wear, were quantified - meaning whether the oil and sludge (and even exhaust emissions and metals plated on surfaces) were analyzed for metals as to mass balance the total metals lubrication accumulation plus emissions/plating accumulation. Otherwise, if only liquid oil were analyzed which seemed to be implied, the data could simply indicate the synth. will only support metals in solution at relative concentrations, either dissolved depending on speciation, or suspended, in equilibrium with sludge and oil pan sediment concentrations.
Good article, food for thought, though I am going to keep changing mine at 5k or so to maintain warranty without question and I just like getting messy.
Old 12-10-03, 05:17 PM
ripe911
Pole Position

parula,

I got a headache from reading your post. But I get it out now. I agree with you. =)
Old 12-11-03, 12:01 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Originally posted by mooretorque
I'll bet changing the filter w/o changing the oil (as was recommended) makes a huge mess!!!

Changing oil at 5k is the best!

Bryan
Old 12-11-03, 05:03 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Question huh?

Why would changing the filter be any messier than changing the oil and filter?
Old 02-27-04, 02:22 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I checked oil level at about 2k after my second synth. change. Actually I had dealer put my Castrol in this time. Checked the oil with a tissue to clean the stick, then I tossed it aside. A couple weeks later I picked up the tissue to discard it and noticed that contrary to what I recall seeing with dino oil on wipes, the synth. appeared to only leave a light amber/yellow color in the wipe - there was no hint of black residue I could see at all even on close inspection! Whether a little black scum is important I cannot say but I like what I saw. This is not a controlled experiment but I believe the facts are true.
Old 02-29-04, 01:48 AM
elclassico
Lead Lap

whats the specific type of mobile one are you running?
Old 03-12-04, 01:27 PM
rsganga
Driver School Candidate

I've been telling people to use Mobil1 for years. There's an article from a 1970-something Popular Mechanics where they ran a chevy engine, under load, for 100k miles on the same batch of Mobil1, then tore the engine down and all moving engine parts still measured within factory specs as 'new'. I personally put over 170k miles on an '85 firebird (for a total of 215k) and the only reason it made it, I'm convinced, was running Mobil1 in the crank case.

One last note: If you're gonna do Mobil1 oil, I'd go the last mile and spend the $$ on a Mobil1 oil filter as well. It uses synthetic/plastic filter media that works much better than the paper media found in just about all other filters.
Old 03-13-04, 09:22 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Pretty good write up on the Mobil 1. I agree with rs as well about using the Mobil 1 oil filter along with the Mobil 1 oil. I use the 5w30 formula like the owners manual states & change every 5k again as the owners manual states to keep the warranty valid both the factory & extended in my case. The reason why it's messy to change the filter (at least on my 01 ES) is due to the location of the filter with the threads in a downward angle which will cause spillage on the engine & sub frame. For that aggravation, I make sure both the filter & oil are changed at the same time.

Old 03-14-04, 05:00 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I normally run a 15W-50 grade on my 99 RX due to the conditions, but am experimenting with 5W-30. Better MPG, but oil consumption is up, where there was none with the 15W-50. 10W-30 also suffered consumption issues. Would love for 5W-40 to come here, but I heard that Mobil 1 brand is even rare back in the States.

Interestingly, I recently took a long trip into the U.S., that was about 5,200 miles on my trip computer. I used a blend of 3 liters 5W-30 and 2 liters 15W-50. By the time I was already about 2,300 miles into my trip, there had been 15-20% consumption. I added some more 5W-30. By the time I got back to Mexico City, it was only down about 10%, but the color was a little darker. Normally, I change it every 3,000 miles with synthetic given the conditions, but it seems even highway miles eats oil.
Old 03-14-04, 05:27 PM
Losiho
Driver

Originally posted by Lexmexico
Would love for 5W-40 to come here, but I heard that Mobil 1 brand is even rare back in the States.
Is Mobil Delvac 1 available in Mexico ? Delvac 1 is 5w40, and is very highly regarded over at BITOG. Don't worry about the fact that it is designed for diesel engines, plenty of people use them in petrol engines too.
Old 03-14-04, 10:48 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

What about using a different brand of synthetic oil? Such as Castrol syntec 5W 50? Still have the benefits of the 50 grade for extreme heat with the better fuel economy the thinner 5 grade would provide, quaker state also makes that grade too. Just a suggestion

Quick Reply: Mobile 1 oil change - great write up