Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

car warm-up in winter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-03, 02:41 PM
timoc42
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car warm-up in winter?

Hi guys,

winter is finally here in the northeast.

Does anyone of you warm up the car engine for a few minutes before driving off especially in a cold-cold
morning?

Is there any effects if you do not warm up the car ?

I have been warming up the car until the RPM goes to about 1,000 RPM then I drive off.

Thanks.
Old 12-03-03, 04:04 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See, gs4to4's opinion in the middle of thread,
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=50744
which I follow.

Last edited by parula; 12-05-03 at 08:05 AM.
Old 12-03-03, 11:05 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

Usually, I warm up my car for about 30 seconds. On a really cold morning, I warm up my car for about 60 seconds, then drive off slowly. Driving it slowly (i.e. slow, gentle acceration) allows all of the fluids to get circulated in proper amounts to the critical parts and it warms up faster than just leaving it idling for an excessive period.

Of course, never gun your car when it's not warmed up, you're bound to break something or cause a gasket to blow due to high stress. Cold internal fluid temps = slow fluid flow = poor lubrication and higher engine stress. Warm it up to operating temperature by slow acceration and you should be fine.

Last edited by SeattleGS400; 12-03-03 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-04-03, 05:43 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

This morning the temps were in the low 20s, and I turned off the A/C whilst the car is warmed up for a minute or two. I noticed after driving off for not even 5 min that the engine temperature reached normal much quicker than the many times before when I left the A/C on while car is warmed up. I guess it makes sense that way since the A/C uses a good amount of power from the engine. I totally agree that taking it easy with the acceleration during each morning drive will do your car wonders down the road.
Old 12-04-03, 06:04 AM
Faceless1
Driver School Candidate

Yes it makes a difference. A vehicle can not perform at optimum level when it is cold. Think about you.......when you wake up on a cold morning, are you ready to run out the door and start your day. Most of us need to atleast through some water on our face. It is best to take a few minutes and let the car warm up first instead of driving it to warm up at higher rpm's. It doesn't make much difference when the car is new, but as it gets older, it does. Believe me when I tell, your car will let youi know enough is enough.....I'm not runnin 55 unless you let me have my morning cup of hot oil through my engine.
Old 12-04-03, 04:57 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Faceless1
Yes it makes a difference. A vehicle can not perform at optimum level when it is cold. Think about you.......when you wake up on a cold morning, are you ready to run out the door and start your day. Most of us need to atleast through some water on our face. It is best to take a few minutes and let the car warm up first instead of driving it to warm up at higher rpm's. It doesn't make much difference when the car is new, but as it gets older, it does. Believe me when I tell, your car will let youi know enough is enough.....I'm not runnin 55 unless you let me have my morning cup of hot oil through my engine.
Good point Faceless1
Old 12-05-03, 01:07 PM
Faceless1
Driver School Candidate

Thankyou kind sir.
Old 12-06-03, 08:53 PM
beab951
Rookie

I tend to let the car idle for about a minute or two then start to drive it. I don't let the tach go above 2-3 k until the engie temp is starting to climb to normal. I don't think letting a car standing still at idle is the best way to warm up the engine.
Old 12-07-03, 06:16 AM
GS430 03
Driver School Candidate

do you guys suggest a different approach to a car that is in a heated garage as opposed to outside during our winter months?
Old 12-07-03, 06:43 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

do you guys suggest a different approach to a car that is in a heated garage as opposed to outside during our winter months?
No. Your oil is a little warmer and therefore flows more easily but I'd still keep revs low until your temp gauge at least starts to climb. Gentle driving will bring fluids up to temp faster than sitting idling since it's under load so, unlike some of the other posters, I usually am rolling within 15 seconds of startup. Like them, I keep revs low (2k or less) for several miles. The programming of the GS430 ECU to upshift as soon as possible is of benefit here, but there's some slow driving initially since the trans won't upshift from 3rd until tranny fluid is around 180 F.
Old 12-31-03, 01:45 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

do what i do before you eat ur breakfast or drink your coffee go outside move ur car outside the garage and let it warm up. i usually let it warm up 10mins hahahah never to careful to let ur engine warm up you can cause extreme wear if you have a cold engine and trying to gun it. also heater on ac button off make sure my car is warm and toasty inside when i jump in.
Old 12-31-03, 08:01 AM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm giving mine a minute or so when parked outdoors at ~25-30F, revs at idle or never above 2-2.5k even for first 5 minutes, mostly I just drive that speed anyway. Much below 25F I wait til the seats warm up, a couple minutes! Usually she's in a warmed garage that rarely gets below ~40F.

Never warm a car up in a garge, get it well outside!

Some interesting information here, some is pretty obvious, see the battery piece: http://www.startribune.com/stories/435/3621086.html
Old 12-31-03, 10:44 AM
lukey33
Driver School Candidate

Default ...

so what is a good amount of time to let your car warm-up for?

couple minutes?
Old 01-05-04, 03:00 PM
oldguy
Driver

cold-cold? Yesterday, my wifes rx300 was started, outdoors, at -15F.

My son, the engineer, sends automobile trade mags here for me and the advice I've read and follow is to warm up the transmission. Start the engine, give it time to smooth out, put the car in gear without going anywhere and sit for a minute or two.

I use mobil one and Toyota filters and change at 7500 miles. On both Lexus' at my house. The mobil one has much better flow at start up.
Old 01-11-04, 01:28 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Arrow my routine...

everyone has their own thing that they do when its really cold out. what i do is when i start my car, i press the auto button for the heat to come on (floor) and make sure he A/C button is OFF (dont want compressor going on when car is cold). anyway, i wait until the heat starts to come on and the needle for the temp of the engine starts to come up a little from the rest position. i then put the car in drive and very GENTLY accelerate until the car warms up a little more before putting pressure on a cold engine. i also like the idea OLDGUY stated earlier (warming the car up while the transmission is in gear)... it seems to make sense and i think im gonna look into it. anyone else hear of this??...

Quick Reply: car warm-up in winter?