LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

How often are you changing brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-15, 05:00 PM
grsams
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How often are you changing brake pads?

I purchased a used 570 back in Jan. Luckily the individual had all service records plus those available through the Lexus site. As it turns out, the truck has went through 2 full brake pad changes with the rotors being resurfaced each time. The first was at 28K miles, the second at 58K. Now at 98K, the brakes have a squeak at times and I am wondering if ~30K is the range for brake life on such a behemoth of a truck?
Old 06-12-15, 03:21 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by grsams
I purchased a used 570 back in Jan. Luckily the individual had all service records plus those available through the Lexus site. As it turns out, the truck has went through 2 full brake pad changes with the rotors being resurfaced each time. The first was at 28K miles, the second at 58K. Now at 98K, the brakes have a squeak at times and I am wondering if ~30K is the range for brake life on such a behemoth of a truck?
Much depends on how and where the truck is driven. If mostly highway miles brake can go a long time before servicing. But if driven in the city, dragging the LX to frequent stops will wear them out in as little as 25K.

In the end it does not matter what mileage the brakes have survived, when they are worn out they are worn out. If I were getting a squeak at times, I would get them looked at. It could also be time for new rotors if they have been resurfaced twice. All depend on what is left.

I have a feeling to know all to well the above
Old 06-12-15, 07:43 PM
grsams
Driver

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Much depends on how and where the truck is driven. If mostly highway miles brake can go a long time before servicing. But if driven in the city, dragging the LX to frequent stops will wear them out in as little as 25K.

In the end it does not matter what mileage the brakes have survived, when they are worn out they are worn out. If I were getting a squeak at times, I would get them looked at. It could also be time for new rotors if they have been resurfaced twice. All depend on what is left.

I have a feeling to know all to well the above
I think you are right. I am going to take it in and have it looked at.
Old 06-14-15, 03:33 AM
Lexus63641
Driver School Candidate

Some folks around here told me they install Tundra break pads in their 570s and they last longer than the LX oem ones
Old 06-14-15, 09:01 AM
grsams
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexus63641
Some folks around here told me they install Tundra break pads in their 570s and they last longer than the LX oem ones
Yeah I saw that when I was trolling for information, however isn't it a whole new set-up as opposed to merely replacing the pads? If it is indeed that easy I will definitely try it. As the post earlier, I feel that after 2 resurfacing the dealer may insist that new rotors are needed as well, but we'll see.

Last edited by grsams; 06-14-15 at 08:01 PM. Reason: correction
Old 06-14-15, 09:57 AM
SeaHawg
Rookie

I'd be curious too. It would stand to reason that Tundra and Sequoia parts would be interchangeable, but if they can be used for LC/LX vehicles, that would be a bonus.

Either I am super-picky about my wheels getting brake dust on them, or the oe Lexus pads leave a lot behind. I guess they're not as bad as German vehicles, though.
Old 06-15-15, 01:46 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaHawg
I'd be curious too. It would stand to reason that Tundra and Sequoia parts would be interchangeable, but if they can be used for LC/LX vehicles, that would be a bonus.

Either I am super-picky about my wheels getting brake dust on them, or the oe Lexus pads leave a lot behind. I guess they're not as bad as German vehicles, though.
Being an past Mercedes and Porshe owner the Lexus almost makes no brake dust in comparison. I remembering complaining to the service department tha t the brake dust on my Cayanne was ruining the appearance of my wheels and wanted them changed out to some that were supposed to make less dust. They told me they would not install non-OEM pads under any circumstance. Even wishing my vehicle weekly, the dust remained on my Cayanne wheels.

Lexus, even after two weeks is minimal in comparison. I, too, had read somewhere about the LC's pads being the same and would be interested if they made even LESS dust.
Old 06-15-15, 04:00 PM
grsams
Driver

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Being an past Mercedes and Porshe owner the Lexus almost makes no brake dust in comparison. I remembering complaining to the service department tha t the brake dust on my Cayanne was ruining the appearance of my wheels and wanted them changed out to some that were supposed to make less dust. They told me they would not install non-OEM pads under any circumstance. Even wishing my vehicle weekly, the dust remained on my Cayanne wheels.

Lexus, even after two weeks is minimal in comparison. I, too, had read somewhere about the LC's pads being the same and would be interested if they made even LESS dust.
I agree. My Mercedes and BMW were awful for break dust. I contemplated putting ceramic pads on to help cut back on the amount of dust. I have also heard that break dust if left on the wheels will eventually mess damage the wheel coating.
Old 06-15-15, 05:02 PM
cquence
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. My Mercedes and BMW were awful for break dust. I contemplated putting ceramic pads on to help cut back on the amount of dust. I have also heard that break dust if left on the wheels will eventually mess damage the wheel coating.
Hi guys, European applications like Mercedes & BMW usually produce more dust because the brakes typically work off of a more abrasive friction mechanism. The pad is usually of a hard, semi-metallic material and the rotor is a softer material. The excessive amounts of dust is the result of the chemical bonds between the rotors and pads being broken apart.

Going with a Ceramic brake pad is definitely a good choice if you want less dust, but be prepared to have a bit less stopping power in exchange. Brake dust really shouldn't damage the coating on the wheels as there aren't any corrosive or harmful ingredients in them.

Last edited by cquence; 06-15-15 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-26-15, 08:15 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Will get 90,000 out of my original pads. Driving is mixed city and travel around the State.
Old 06-28-15, 05:23 PM
grsams
Driver

I took my truck in to have the brakes evaluated and see how much of the actual pad is left. Although I have quite a bit of squeaking, I was told that the front pads are at 8mm and the rear at 4mm. Since 3mm is usually the criteria to change them out, I'm wondering if there is anything I can use to get rid of the noise without compromising the brake's ability to stop.
Old 06-28-15, 07:12 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

I took my truck in to have the brakes evaluated and see how much of the actual pad is left. Although I have quite a bit of squeaking, I was told that the front pads are at 8mm and the rear at 4mm. Since 3mm is usually the criteria to change them out, I'm wondering if there is anything I can use to get rid of the noise without compromising the brake's ability to stop.
Probably have a rock or something in the caliper?
Old 06-28-15, 08:39 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Akebono ProACT ceramics are the best. No dust, excellent feel and stopping power, long-lasting.

Here is the best price on them:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disc-Brake-Pad-ProACT-Ultra-Premium-Ceramic-Pads-Front-AKEBONO-ACT1303-/221751943728?hash=item33a1722230&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disc-Brake-Pad-ProACT-Ultra-Premium-Ceramic-Pads-Rear-AKEBONO-ACT1304-/221751943804?hash=item33a172227c
Old 06-29-15, 09:59 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

I've never turned a rotor on my LX470's just had local Toyota dealers change the pads. Soft pads changed before they damage the rotor equal no uneven rotor or thin warped rotors. I know that the Lexus dealers want to do the entire "job". I'm easy on brakes and normally get 50k miles+ out of a set of pads.
Old 07-07-15, 09:36 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

changed the fronts rotors and pads at around 55k, rear setup changed at 70, but I an getting little pulses for the front the truck closing in at 80k I might need to swap them out.

I do miss the instant bite of the lx470. might get some aftermarket setup this time