Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Brake Pad replacing

Old 04-28-15, 05:09 PM   #1
grsams
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)

Default Brake Pad replacing

Anyone have a link to a video showing how to change out the brake pads on a 2009 lx570? I have been searching you tube, but nothing yet. Any help is greatly appreciated as I would rather do this myself instead of having to sell the house to get it done at the dealer.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
grsams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-15, 02:46 PM   #2
Max707
Lexus Test Driver

My Lexus dealer did my rears for $300
Old 04-29-15, 06:20 PM   #3
grsams
Rookie

That's crazy. I can get all four pads for $80
Old 04-29-15, 06:46 PM   #4
SeaHawg
Driver School Candidate

I would hope by the time people graduate to driving an LC/LX, they understand time is an extremely important currency. It's something that is finite and declining- there will always be less of it remaining for us.

Given the cost of purchasing a 200, most people who can afford one have time issues- namely, their time is extremely valuable- either they are old, wealthy, and about to croak or they are overrun with work/burdens.Therefore, the cost/value derived to them is relative.

For instance, suppose my time is worth $300 per hour based on 40 hour workweek (haven't had that since college) paycheck, and I sleep 56 hours per week, exercise for 7 hours per week, spend time with my girlfriend, etc... That leaves me just a few hours remaining to myself for "me time."

I could do brakes myself, but it would take me approx 2.5x longer than my mechanic- who has tools, jack, and everything else ready- not to mention, he picks up my car. So, in my example, paying my mechanic anything less than $750 is a deal for me, as my time is better utilized. Of course, he charges $75 per labor hour, and can do brakes in approx an hour per axle easily. Therefore, there is no reason- besides just saying I did it out of boredom, that I would ever not let my mechanic handle that task.

Obviously, there are good deals and bad deals out there, but it is all relative.
SeaHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-15, 07:07 PM   #5
grsams
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHawg View Post
I would hope by the time people graduate to driving an LC/LX, they understand time is an extremely important currency. It's something that is finite and declining- there will always be less of it remaining for us.

Given the cost of purchasing a 200, most people who can afford one have time issues- namely, their time is extremely valuable- either they are old, wealthy, and about to croak or they are overrun with work/burdens.Therefore, the cost/value derived to them is relative.

For instance, suppose my time is worth $300 per hour based on 40 hour workweek (haven't had that since college) paycheck, and I sleep 56 hours per week, exercise for 7 hours per week, spend time with my girlfriend, etc... That leaves me just a few hours remaining to myself for "me time."

I could do brakes myself, but it would take me approx 2.5x longer than my mechanic- who has tools, jack, and everything else ready- not to mention, he picks up my car. So, in my example, paying my mechanic anything less than $750 is a deal for me, as my time is better utilized. Of course, he charges $75 per labor hour, and can do brakes in approx an hour per axle easily. Therefore, there is no reason- besides just saying I did it out of boredom, that I would ever not let my mechanic handle that task.

Obviously, there are good deals and bad deals out there, but it is all relative.

Very good point, however when I have time to work on the truck it is me time.
Old 04-29-15, 07:34 PM   #6
SeaHawg
Driver School Candidate

My biggest problem with DIY projects is I usually just create more problems than I fix haha!
SeaHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-15, 03:17 AM   #7
ggebhardt
Lexus Test Driver

The number of LX owners will to do their own brake job has got to be slim. Only thing slimmer would be a video of them doing it.

I do admire grsams for having the time and will to do it. Long ago when I was a young man I used to do all the work on my vehicles but they were a bit more simple than todays technology. Back then I hoped my 440 with a "six pack" even had disk brakes but just missed it by a year.

Last edited by ggebhardt; 04-30-15 at 11:44 AM..
ggebhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-15, 10:44 AM   #8
tkbalt
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggebhardt View Post
I do admire grsams for having the time and will to do it. Long ago when I was a young man I used to do all the work on my vehicles
Agree - don't have the time to do work on cars or bikes - so I rely on the dealer. Used to buy the OEM pads from Sewell and have the dealer install to save me some money - but not sure where I will source them now. did buy a case of oil filters, an air filter and a couple of cabin filters for my 2015 before they (Sewell) closed up their online business.

Might check the MUD land Cruiser forum - they could potentially have a step by step on brake pad replacement..
2001 ES300 - Sold
1998 ES300 - Sold
1995 ES300 - Sold
1994 ES300 - Sold
tkbalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-15, 11:58 AM   #9
Jacket
Rookie

It can't be all that different than a newer Tundra.

It looks pretty much the same as my 80 series; you don't even have to pull the caliper off the wheel. Simple.

Take a little time to bed down the new pads once installed. Google it if you don't know what I'm talking about.

2013 GX 460
1996 FZJ80
1976 FJ40
Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-15, 09:21 PM   #10
Max707
Lexus Test Driver

Watched the video, guy did not lube the Pistons or turn the rotor
Old 05-01-15, 09:58 AM   #11
Jacket
Rookie

Toyota OEM brake pads tend to be less destructive on rotors as compared to other brands. So whereas Audi maintenance requires you to swap in new rotors at every brake service, Toyota's can get away with a turn, or even just cleaning and scuffing the surface before bedding the new pads.

But yea, in general I agree with you Max. If you don't at least turn the rotors you run the risk of brake vibrations down the road.

2013 GX 460
1996 FZJ80
1976 FJ40
Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-15, 12:36 PM   #12
tkbalt
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Toyota OEM brake pads tend to be less destructive on rotors as compared to other brands. So whereas Audi maintenance requires you to swap in new rotors at every brake service, Toyota's can get away with a turn, or even just cleaning and scuffing the surface before bedding the new pads.

But yea, in general I agree with you Max. If you don't at least turn the rotors you run the risk of brake vibrations down the road.
Agree - always had rotors turned and never needed to replace rotors on any lexus I have owned.
2001 ES300 - Sold
1998 ES300 - Sold
1995 ES300 - Sold
1994 ES300 - Sold
tkbalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-15, 12:36 PM