Disable tilt-away steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-15, 01:37 PM
galion
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disable tilt-away steering wheel

Hello all,
Is there a button, function etc that will allow me to disable the telescopic steering wheel tilt-away feature ? I would rather not have the steering wheel move every time I insert/remove the key.
Any thoughts? cant find this on the manual. Thanks

LX570 2014
Old 04-17-15, 05:01 PM
drich2905
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, hopefully you're not using a key to start the ignition :-]

Everyone likes different things but I can't imagine disabling that function. I don't have ao proven answer but would suggest checking to see if there is a dude to control that function and nothing else. Pulling a fuse would be the simplest solution.

Cheers
Old 04-17-15, 07:44 PM
neelnaik
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes it is possible to disable the auto tilt/telescope steering wheel, as well as the easy access seat (driver's seat moves all the way back when vehicle is turned off) on vehicles that are so equipped. The first gen LS 400 had a button for this on the wheel itself. Later Lexus models, it is done through the car's computer. I think there is actually a couple models which is can be disabled through the navigation system, but I don't remember for sure. On all other models, this is part of the LPS settings (Lexus Personalized Settings). However, in order to change it, you need TIS (Toyota Technical Information System) Techstream. This is the software that the dealer uses, in conjunction with a USB to OBD-II adapter.

So, you have a couple options here. Option 1 is to take the car to the dealer and have them disable it. However, they will probably charge you 0.5 hours labor for it, so about $50. Another option, if you are a little tech savvy, is to google TIS Techstream. There are USB to OBD-II adapters out there being sold with questionable copies of TIS Techstream. The last time I looked they are about $25-$30. The third option is get a bluetooth OBD-II adapter (I don't how much they cost), and an app like Carista (they are a Club Lexus sponsor) and change the settings yourself via the app. I have no idea whether Carista will work with the LX or not (I don't why it wouldn't though). I would send them a message or give them a call or something and make sure it will work with your vehicle, and then go from there.
Old 04-17-15, 09:49 PM
galion
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your replies.
Btw I love that feature, I just want to replace the instrument cluster lens, some guy cleaned it with a dirty cloth and it has a lot of swirls now.
I ordered the replacement lens and would like to replace it by myself, its an easy job, but the steering wheel in the upward position wont let me take it out.
I guess pulling a fuse is the best solution, didnt think about that I'll go and take a look.

Last edited by galion; 04-17-15 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-17-15, 10:10 PM
neelnaik
Pole Position

Well the wheel should still go down and out just with the key in it/ACC position. I don't believe there is a fuse just for the auto tilt/telescopic feature, so you would have to literally just pull interior related fuses and see if it stops working, which seems really time consuming.

If I were you, I would just put the ignition in ACC, turn off all electronics that you can, pull the cluster, and then turn the car off. Replace the lens, and then put it back into ACC and reinstall the cluster. Then try starting the car. If it doesn't start, just jump it, and then drive it around for about 20 minutes or so in order to recharge the battery. You should be good after that. I know regular automotive batteries aren't designed for complete discharge and recharge like that, but a complete discharge and recharge cycles shouldn't affect anything at all. If you were having to jump start it often (multiple times a week), then I would switch to a deep cycle marine battery (e.g. Optima battery). Deep cycle batteries are designed to be completely discharged and recharged without effecting performance. But like I said above, a regular automotive battery will handle a few discharge/recharge cycles without any issues.
Old 04-17-15, 11:33 PM
galion
Driver School Candidate

I am afraid that pulling the cluster out with the ignition in ACC will trigger the airbag light, I also found that fuse 54 in the engine compartment fuse box controls the tilt function and a few more things.
I will try this tomorrow and post the results.
Thanks for the advise!
Old 04-22-15, 10:14 PM
neelnaik
Pole Position

I don't think that pulling the cluster in ACC will trigger the air bag light. The air bag system doesn't get power until the ignition switch is in the ON position. Even then, I don't know why it would error out?

But yeah, if there is a fuse that controls it that is relatively easy to find, I would pull that and proceed. It's always best to err on side of caution.

Let us know what you find!
Old 01-26-16, 03:43 AM
2Darkness
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tlt/Telescope multiplex

Can anyone tell me where to find the Tilt/Telescope multiplexer. I want to replace it but can't find it! I have a '96 LS400. Sometimes the tilt works but not the telescope and sometimes the telescope works but not the tiltn sometimes both won't work and sometimes both will work. It seemes to have something to do with the temperature outside. It doesn't like extreme hot or cold. So I thought i'd start by replacing or rebuilding the multipexer and go to the motors next.
Old 01-26-16, 11:19 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Darkness
Can anyone tell me where to find the Tilt/Telescope multiplexer. I want to replace it but can't find it! I have a '96 LS400. Sometimes the tilt works but not the telescope and sometimes the telescope works but not the tiltn sometimes both won't work and sometimes both will work. It seemes to have something to do with the temperature outside. It doesn't like extreme hot or cold. So I thought i'd start by replacing or rebuilding the multipexer and go to the motors next.
This part of the forum is about LX models...you'll see that just below the ad at the very top of the page.

You might get more answers if you post in the LS section.

hth

Steve
Old 12-02-16, 08:58 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by drich2905
Ok, hopefully you're not using a key to start the ignition :-]

Everyone likes different things but I can't imagine disabling that function. I don't have ao proven answer but would suggest checking to see if there is a dude to control that function and nothing else. Pulling a fuse would be the simplest solution.

Cheers
Imagine reaching into the car to push the ignition button. If you reach through the steering wheel, and it's most convenient route for your arm between door and ignition button, the steering wheel will lower, and can inflict damage on your arm. It is surprising that the Toyota legal staff didn't pick up on this potential personal injury item and give us a choice of a way to fix the steering wheel in the down position. I guess that they spent so much time blocking the nav system that they missed this one.
Old 12-02-16, 10:31 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

It is quite absurd that if you turn of the auto easy exit to stop the seat from moving back, that it should also stop auto tilting the steering wheel. My 92' LS400 had a button to turn on/off. Frankly, I am slim enough and the positioned the steering wheel that I do not need the steering wheel move. Just one more thing to potentially break down. Let me take a look at the hazards Reggie mentioned, see if it does present a real hazard, and inform Lexus Corporate of the potential issue. At the least, Lexus should be able to reprogram it for free if still under warranty.
Old 12-03-16, 05:40 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Reggie1
Imagine reaching into the car to push the ignition button. If you reach through the steering wheel, and it's most convenient route for your arm between door and ignition button, the steering wheel will lower, and can inflict damage on your arm. It is surprising that the Toyota legal staff didn't pick up on this potential personal injury item and give us a choice of a way to fix the steering wheel in the down position. I guess that they spent so much time blocking the nav system that they missed this one.
Here's another potential injury situation with the steering wheel. You are safely parked so that you can watch a DVD video play on the nav screen. You get comfortable, arranging your sleeping infant on your lap.. The steering wheel has no safety feature to prevent it crushing anything in its downward path. Pop goes the baby's head! Is Toyota liable? A good personal injury attorney would likely get a huge settlement from Toyota. Remember all the child injury litigation when when power windows were introduced, and why power windows have safety features like child locking switches today?
Old 12-03-16, 06:27 PM
DocT
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie1

I am totally lost of Reggie's statement. The ignition button (on/off) to start the engine is on the R hand side and it does not have anything to do with the door. It is impossible for any one put his hand through the steering wheeling while one could just go around it?
Old 12-03-16, 08:00 PM
Reggie1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DocT
I am totally lost of Reggie's statement. The ignition button (on/off) to start the engine is on the R hand side and it does not have anything to do with the door. It is impossible for any one put his hand through the steering wheeling while one could just go around it?
Most bad things are possible, my friend. Sometimes a situation is not thought through to the end. I'm sure you've seen the huge number of those "FAIL" videos posted on the internet. Of course you could reach around the steering wheel, but it is easier sometimes to reach though the spokes. Now, to explain further with a single example.

You are getting ready to wax your car. You've just washed and dried it, and as you moved the Lexus out of the puddles you've created during washing and into your garage to wax it, you've rolled the windows down and turned on the Mark Levinson sound system so you can have tunes while you wax. You step out of the car and close the door. And, oops, when you turned off the engine the sound system turned off, and the steering wheel raised itself up. Now you want the sound back. Do you open the door and climb back into the car seat? Or could you possibly just reach in through the open window to push the ignition button? When you try the latter approach you find that your arm is likely too short to reach all the way around the steering wheel. You think, all I need to do is push the button, and if I reach through the steering wheel spokes and push the button I''ll get instant music gratification. And down comes the steering wheel, with your arm trapped in the spokes.

BTW, the sound system turns itself off automatically to save the battery after playing about 30 minutes. So, you'll need to do this maneuver several times to keep the music going unless you are a very quick waxer.

Last edited by Reggie1; 12-03-16 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-03-16, 08:16 PM
Bimmer32
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

See did some testing, and also tested Reggie1's example. I still think there should be a feature to turn both the driver seat and steering wheel movement for exit and not just for the driver seat.

Back to the test. The wiper column presents blockage sticking your arm through the steering wheel. You can either go above or below with the windows rolled down. My arms were small enough that it did not present any issues when the steering moved all the way up or down (in and out). Additionally, it stopped working because it tells me that my windows are down. In any case, the movement of the wheel is limited enough that it will not likely break anyone's arm. But that is only based on my personal experiment.

Again, the feature is not well thought out as Reggie1 mentioned.

Quick Reply: Disable tilt-away steering wheel