LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

What tires are you running?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-15, 03:19 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
I did the Google search and only some forum guys saying they are being discontinued. Dunflop probably started this rumor
If so Dunlop is out of luck as I would run Firestones before I ran Dunlop again. I has a huge bubble form on the inside wall of one of my Dunlops and did not like they way they handled. If I had not had an LX before with Michelins, I might not have known the difference.

If the do away with the Tours I would try to stay in the MIchelin family.
Old 03-24-15, 01:45 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
If so Dunlop is out of luck as I would run Firestones before I ran Dunlop again. I has a huge bubble form on the inside wall of one of my Dunlops and did not like they way they handled. If I had not had an LX before with Michelins, I might not have known the difference.

If the do away with the Tours I would try to stay in the MIchelin family.
I agree always had good luck with Michelin road tires. I would of replaced mine with LTX M/s2's but while under warranty wanted to stay with OEM size tires.
Old 03-26-15, 04:40 PM
galion
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced my OE Dunlops PT2 with Falken STZ4.
Great tires, my LX now runs runs smoother and quieter, changed the steering feel aswell.
Those Dunlops are way expensive for what they deliver.
Old 03-27-15, 12:30 PM
elm3c
Rookie

I also switched from the OEM Dunlop Grandtrek PT2A to Michelin LTX MS/2 in 275/55-20. The Dunlops still had a lot of tread left, but like others have posted, I switched for the superior rain and snow performance (relative, for an all-season tire). I also have the LTX MS/2's on my GX470, and they have worn well.
Old 04-07-15, 06:06 AM
Mtnracer
Driver School Candidate

Our 2010 LX needs new tires soon and I was thinking of "upgrading" to the Latitude Tour HPs in 305-50-20. Has anyone tried that size? Any rubbing issues? Thanks.
Old 04-07-15, 07:50 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Mtnracer
Our 2010 LX needs new tires soon and I was thinking of "upgrading" to the Latitude Tour HPs in 305-50-20. Has anyone tried that size? Any rubbing issues? Thanks.
They work a guy on Mud has them on his
Old 04-09-15, 07:27 AM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I would say reports of MIchelin Latitudes no longer being available is grossly wrong. Just went out to the Tire Rack warehouse and picked up 4 new ones for my '11 LX570
Old 04-10-15, 02:54 PM
grsams
Driver

Originally Posted by REDHORSE
I would say reports of MIchelin Latitudes no longer being available is grossly wrong. Just went out to the Tire Rack warehouse and picked up 4 new ones for my '11 LX570
Yes, I agree. I believe the guy probably just wanted me to buy Bridgestone extremely bad
Old 04-14-15, 05:48 PM
grsams
Driver

Got the Lats from Tire Rack for $180/ea plus $91 shipping. Great deal as the local shop wanted over $600 for 2 plus mounting.
Old 04-18-15, 07:36 PM
grsams
Driver

So I was skeptical on the claim that the brand of tires can such an important role in the ride comfort of a vehicle. I had the new rubber put on today and I can say that this thing rides not only better but nearly as good as my car. Very happy!
Old 12-14-15, 03:14 PM
SeaHawg
Rookie

Originally Posted by grsams
So I was skeptical on the claim that the brand of tires can such an important role in the ride comfort of a vehicle. I had the new rubber put on today and I can say that this thing rides not only better but nearly as good as my car. Very happy!

I see where Bridgestone now makes the Dueler H/L Alenza Plus in the 285/50/20 LX size. Everyone I know with a Tahoe/Yukon raves over getting 60-80k miles per set. Has anyone tried them yet?
Old 12-14-15, 05:32 PM
Ashron
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Purchased my 2010 with Michelin Latitude. Love these tires. On my 3rd set. Won't get anything else. (My wife's 2012 RX has the same tires!) I'm in Southern California, so snow is not an issue. The Michelin Latitude do not offer good traction in snow. If you drive in the snow, would stick with another Michelin model as others suggested. Tires are too important in my opinion. Get the best!
Old 12-14-15, 09:15 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Note that the two "Latitudes-are-great-tires" guys here are from Florida and Louisiana. I'd observe that both states have a distinct lack of snow.

Based on some extremely light snow in the SW Idaho area a week or so ago, I firmly resolved to toss the Latitude HP's (with ~80% tread remaining) for Blizzaks...found a perfect set of Tundra steel take-off's at the local Toyota dealer with zero miles on them, tmps senders in place, and perfect lug nuts and hub caps. I hauled them to the tire store Friday, Blizzaks will be in and installed tomorrow.

The HP's were fine on dry asphalt, slippery on snow, and scary on gravel forest service roads.

In spring, I'll mount a set of 295-75x18's, maybe a 295 or 305 cross section and use BFG KO/2's or Toyo AT/2's for highway and off-road. I've not yet had a set of the KO/2's so road noise may be a concern. I'm on my second of the Toyo's on my '01 LX and first set on wife's 2500 Ram, tread appears that both will get to 70-80K with no problems and rotation every 5K.

If you drive in an area where snow and ice are common, you can do a lot better with tires other than the HP.

Steve
Old 12-23-15, 05:49 PM
MattBianco
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Fitted with new winter boots today (Blizzak), on used Tundra 20" socks picked up on CL for $375. The original wheels and Contis are in the garage until March.

I learned the hard way that 2013 and later cannot accommodate seasonal TPMS settings. Prior models can be programmed for 10 sensors, designating five for summer and winter. I forwent free sensor setting at the hope of having two sets coded at the dealer. That's when the dealer said no can do on '13 and younger. Then, at the dealer I had to code the second set that was mounted at $180 as I had no time to go back to the tire shop. They said it is an hour of labor (I already had pictures of th sensors and their IDs...took them 10 minutes.

I have this to say about the Lexus dealership compared to MB and BMW: stealership. The other guys threat me much nicer and am never felt feeling ripped off. Even floor mats, costing more ... I was told to buy on Amazon. My MB dealer says: don't buy roof racks anywhere.... We will match best prices. BMW told me don't buy tires...we will match.... Lexus: maybe cheaper if you buy online.

What tires are you running?-img_8823.jpg.jpeg

Last edited by MattBianco; 12-24-15 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-23-15, 08:45 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by elm3c
I also switched from the OEM Dunlop Grandtrek PT2A to Michelin LTX M/S2 ... I switched for the superior rain and snow performance (relative, for an all-season tire). I also have the LTX MS/2's on my GX470, and they have worn well.
Same boat here, but I'm driving a GX and not a LX.

The OEM Dunlop Grandtreks barely lasted 20k miles. Argh! That's when I learned there can be two different models of much the same tire. They may not be identical, but they're close enough that folks assume they're the same.

Tens of thousands of miles later, I can't be happier with my Michelin LTX M/S2 tires. They've worn evenly and will come darned close to meeting their tread wear mileage rating. They're quiet enough and good in the wet / snow. I'll replace them with the same thing next Fall.

Quick Reply: What tires are you running?