LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Navigation Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-14, 12:23 PM
SRL311U
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation Help

I have an 08 LX570. Recently, I had a local stereo shop add a VAIS bluetooth system to the vehicle. They had some issues originally installing it. However, it appeared to be working when they were finished.

Now, about 50% of the time, when accessing the navigation menu, I receive a message that says "Map Data--Unable to read data. Consult your dealer."

They have already taken the car back and attempted to fix it, but it is still doing it. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 09-15-14, 12:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

umm the vaistech unit shouldn't cause problem on the navigation unit (which is behind the screen). one way to test is to completely remove the vaistech unit and see if the problem remains. if so, seems like the shop damaged the navigation (hdd) unit during the install
Old 09-16-14, 07:50 PM
SRL311U
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the response. I have been working with the shop and they are trying to fix the problem and will be calling VAIS (although I think this may have come about when they had problems installing an AudioVox unit that they never could get to work).

If it is the HDD, is it something where the hard drive can be "reloaded" by Lexus, or is this a new hard drive situation? I know this is probably rare and folks have not dealt with this often. I assume the whole navigation system would not have to be replaced--wow, $15k list?!?!?!?!

Also, is this something where you can just swap in the $2k list current navigation unit, instead?

Thanks to everyone. You guys have been great to a recent LX570 owner.
Old 09-17-14, 12:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

if the navigation unit is really damaged, i think the problem is how lexus does it. i don't think dealerships are allowed to just change out the hdd and it has to be the whole unit, in that case it becomes a very expensive repair. i might be wrong though but check on that.

and i highly doubt they allow reloading of a hdd, at least i have never heard about that before.

so maybe 2k it is? but problem is how to confirm that's the issue and say not some loose plugs

i have installed a lot of vaistech units and haven't seen this before so it's a bit hard to debug
Old 09-25-14, 06:28 PM
SRL311U
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to all of you for the input. The saga continues. I have now taken the car to the local Lexus dealer. At first they thought it was a loose wire, etc. More diagnosis and now they say that the hard disk has bricked. Instead of just saying "unable to read data," it now has the "Please consult to a dealer" and the japanese characters (a la LS460). Interestingly, I had the maps updated to the 2014 version about two months ago. The technician, before the hard drive turned into a useless lump that "he cannot even access using the diagnostic software" had version, noted that the maps loaded on the system were version 12.1--which would correspond to the 2012 mapping software. He also asked where the memory stick with the installation key was located. I explained that I never got one for the Lexus dealer. They just "updated" it.

Does this sound odd to anyone? Any Lexus techs out there know what happens if you try to "reuse" one of the memory keys to load more than one car? Something just seems really odd here. Oh yeah, and I'm staring a $2k replacement cost. (Although thankfully they think it is just the hard drive and not the $15k navigation unit (still floored by that one having worked on BMWs for most of my life).

I'm still getting used to the fact that certain things on this car may end up costing me more than a 3-series BMW.....

Thank you all again. Really enjoying the forums. I'm always happy to answer questions or try to return the favor.
Old 09-26-14, 10:32 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

the ls and lx update process is pretty complicated. the usb drive / key that you get, it's just that, a key. it is for authentication purposes and it's only for one time use as far as i know. the actual map data and such are stored in a computer inside dealership, each dealership only has one set so it's not to be duplicated.

basically with bunch of connections between the car and computer and the key, it verifies the key, update the car, and null the key (usb).

did you update the system 2 months ago at the same dealership? if so, it's all their job to figure their problems out. you paid the money and they did the update.

so the audio shop wants nothing to do with this? it can be tricky, it's hdd so there is tear and wear (and it's been 6 years), but if they didn't handle the hdd carefully during install, it can be damaged too
Old 09-27-14, 11:18 AM
SRL311U
Driver School Candidate

OK. Looks like I'm in for a new Hard Drive on this one. I'm now doing this more for documenting the diagnostic process so that hopefully I can help others in the future. The car is back to me, so thought I would see if I could lean anything more than the dealership technicians.

Let me start by saying that I always find it amazing that the "big" dealerships have tons of service technicians but really no one that has any clue about the "tech" that is in these modern cars. As far as I can tell, there is not even a diagnostic manual available for the Denso navigation units. I met with the technician, seems like a really great, capable guy, but has no idea other than, when the navigation breaks, you replace it.

This is the photo of the navigation display. As you can see, it says "Map Data" "Unable to read data. Consult your dealer."

Unable to read data. Consult your dealer.

So, when I got the car back today, on the third re-start, the navigaton system loaded normally--no message. I then dropped the electronic display into diagnostic mode on the navigation unit (hold down "info" and cycle headlight 3 times). Interestingly, everything seemed to have loaded and was functioning properly.

Everything looks great until I run "System Check Mode." There are errors saved in the EMVN system and "1D3H" is shown as not connected.

NCON

As best I can tell, 1D3H is the navigation information module that mimics what would have been the navigation disc in the prevoius generation navigation units. Clearly, it is "not connected." At first, I thought this was the hard drive, generally, however, I was able to run a "SmartTest" on the hard drive. When the navigation system works, you can select this option from the menu. The SmartTest runs and confirms that the hard drive is "OK."

I then cycled the car off and on. Now, there is no option to select hard drive diagnostics. You can't run the SmartTest, and there is a code in "LAN Monitor EMVN." This reads Code: 01-DS, Sub Code: 1D3-B0-1. There is still, in the LAN Montior, the statement that 1D3H is "NCON" (not connected?).

OK, so now trying to figure out what may have happened to the hard drive. As noted above, dealership said they updated maps to 2014 maps. It looks like they would also need to update the operating system. (See TSB L-SB-0067-09 & L-SB-0081-13).

When the unit is "functional," I was able to pull the operating system information. My CDDB version is 22088 (07/2013). Here is where things get odd, the "Map data" is version 12.1 which would be the 2012 map data.

Now, the question becomes, did dealership not actually install the 2014 map data and just said that they did or did an error occur in updating that caused the "map update" to not work and it is still showing the 2012 map database.

Now, 3 emails and a voicemail to the dealer have gone unreturned. I'm a little worried.

My only hope is that the new navigation hard drive fixes this or that this info can assist someone in the future.
Old 09-27-14, 11:55 AM
SRL311U
Driver School Candidate

Also, by way of update, the Code: 01-D5 is the code for "Absence of Registration Unit" and then the sub-code will show which component is absent. Once again, I'm stuck trying to figure out what piece of hardware is the 1D3. i.e., the sub-code tells us that the EMVN cannot find the sub-unit 1D3.

It looks like this is a common hardware code across Toyota systems, but that no one has been able to determine what the 1D3 represents.
Old 10-30-14, 08:34 PM
greekguy66
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you ever figure out what 1D3H is? How to correct it? Everything in my 2008 LS460L works fine but that same code is coming up for me as well.

Vasilios
Old 11-03-14, 09:27 AM
SRL311U
Driver School Candidate

Did you ever have an aftermarket bluetooth system involved? I wonder if some of them do not create a virtual "LAN" device on the vehicle's network? I'm still trying to sort this short of buying a new hard drive for the vehicle. Unfortunately both the dealer and the bluetooth installer are pointing at each other and neither is taking responsibility for the failure. Most troubling is that the dealer has now admitted to not updating the mapping software to the 2014 version and cannot confirm whether they did or did not install the software update that is the subject of the 2011 and 2013 TSBs on the navigation unit. (Still sorting this one out as the "due bill/we owe" on the vehicle specified that they would update the navigation maps to the 2014 edition.
Old 11-03-14, 10:37 AM
greekguy66
Driver

There never was any aftermarket bluetooth system installed until this weekend. The problem happened prior to the VAIS Tech SL3B was installed and that is all plug and play. When I purchased the car there was a VAIS Tech SL2i installed but its not bluetooth, its for ipod integration. It too was all plug and play. I took it out and the problem still existed.

I do have v14.1 installed for the database with no issues. It seems to be working fine. I find it odd that the Service Foreman I dealt with has never seen this code before (or at least that is what he is telling me). There is no good results via Google for it. It is as if its a 'ghost' code.

I know not everything is covered, but the car is still under warranty as a CPO and hope if it does become an issue, it will be covered whatever it is.
Old 11-03-14, 05:29 PM
SRL311U
Driver School Candidate

This must be how the VAIS Tech unit generates an "ID" for itself on the local area network. I successfully cleared the LAN codes and reset the system and the code has since disappeared. I have not re-installed the VIASTech unit so that display screen is no longer showing the 1D3H LAN identifier. I'm hoping one of the VAISTech technicians will chime in and see if we have finally solved the mystery of how the additional LAN address following the use of a VAISTech unit.

Anyone?

Also, did you have any issues with the navigation system or hard drive after installation of the VAISTech unit?
Old 11-03-14, 06:56 PM
greekguy66
Driver

I have had no problem with the Navigation System or Hard Drive or any other components with the installation of the SL3B by VAIS.
Old 11-11-14, 11:58 AM
grnjump63
Driver School Candidate

my question is, if everything works, why is this an issue?? you could try holding down the clear code button until it beeps and the screen goes blank then push the recheck button
Old 12-01-14, 05:26 PM
SRL311U
Driver School Candidate

I don't think he meant it was a problem. It's more the issue with service techs not understanding the software or VAIS not publishing the info. In my case the VAIS install appears to have tanked the hard drive and then the dealer declined coverage because the system had the software changed by an aftermarket Bluetooth system. I'm sure many have had no issues with the install. The downside is that when it goes, the hard drive is $1.5k to $2k. If the navigation head tanks its a $16k (yep, you read that correctly) part. In my case, I have a disconnected VAIS unit and paying for a new hard drive. Aftermarket installer is giving me the blowoff. So far all Lexus will say is that the VAIS unit rewrote software to the hard drive.