LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Nav Display Digitizer 90 degrees off

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-21, 01:09 PM
swdunne
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nav Display Digitizer 90 degrees off

I have searched the internet far and wide and have not been able to solve this problem so hopefully someone can help.. 2010 LX570, had the dreaded yellow screen so I purchased a new display and touch digitizer from German Audio Tech. Installed after viewing various videos on You Tube, etc.. Display is beautiful and touch screen responds to touch... BUT everything is 90 degrees off! So what do I mean by that? Well as soon as I installed it I determined that the touch screen was registering my touch but not accurately and at first I though randomly. After spending some significant time with the unit I determined that if I mentally rotated the information on the screen 90 degrees counterclockwise and approximated where the "button" would be then it would work. It's as if the display was in landscape mode but the touchscreen is in portrait mode. Have tried unsuccessfully to find a calibration screen as I have seen on a couple videos, and thats after mentally rotating the display to a portrait mode and then finding the hidden menus.

So does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Obviously there is only one way to install the digitizer screen given it's connector location and rectangular shape. I have made repeated attempts to contact German Audio by email and chat to no avail. Frankly I could have saved a lot of money buying directly from China but thought that I would have some technical expertise available if I had a problem... so much for that. So I am reaching out to the Lexus community to see if anyone has run across the same issue.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

SD
Old 05-18-21, 08:58 PM
z32
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

Best would be to contact German Audio Tech.
Old 05-19-21, 09:09 AM
swdunne
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well unfortunately I have repeatedly contacted German Audio Tech through their email and chat site with ZERO response.

I have ultimately solved the issue myself by removing the unit and replacing the digitizer that German Audio Tech sent with the original that was on my display. I had actually contacted German Audio Tech before purchasing as to whether or not the yellow screen was a display issue or the digitizer going bad from heat or whatever. I did not receive a response but believing I would at least get some after purchase support I went ahead and purchased from German Audio Tech. Well I have had a couple questions along the way and had ZERO response and just figured it out on my own.

So I have learned that the yellow screen is a function of the LCD display, not the digitizer screen. So if the touchscreen function is okay but the screen is yellow, just purchase a display. And you might as well just purchase straight from China and save a lot of money because German Audio Tech adds ZERO value to the transaction.

Following is the final Email I sent to German Audio Tech which pretty much describes the entire situation and the LX570 community may find valuable if faced with a similar Nav display situation.

”RE 2010 Lexus LX 570 digitizer. Yesterday I reported that the digitizer that came with your display was off 90 degrees. I had saved the digitizer from the original display and reinstalled that with the new display you sent. The Screen now works perfectly and looks great.

Here is the problem I have with you all. I actually messaged you through this site over a week ago inquiring about the yellow display, was it the display or the digitizer? I could not find a definitive answer on the internet so I messaged you. I never heard back. In spite of that I ordered a display and digitizer from you at a cost significantly higher than what I could purchase the display on the internet, no doubt from ultimately the same source in China where you acquire them. However I figured if I purchased this through a US firm I would have at least a source for information. Upon arrival I had a question about the two digitizers (one loose and one attached to the display) and emailed you through this site and no response. I pressed on, removed the digitizer whose ribbon cable would not fit and replaced with the loose digitizer that did fit. Upon installation display was fine, yellow gone, but digitizer would not function properly. It responded to touch but completely random touch response. I spent about an hour working with the display and realized the digitizer was working as if in Portrait mode, that is if you mentally rotated the information counterclockwise and touched where the info would be then it would work.. I again inquired through your website for assistance and got zero response. I used your chat site that says "We Reply Immediately" and zero response. I removed the unit again and reinstalled with the original factory digitizer that was overlaying the (now I know) yellow display.

Now it all works as it should, but absolutely no thanks to you. So I give you Five Stars for accepting my money and shipping the product and 1 star for support."

Last edited by swdunne; 05-19-21 at 08:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
gbouton (05-19-21)
Old 05-19-21, 04:39 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

I'd join ihmud.com and cut and paste this into the 200 Series tech forum. GAT deserves what it gets...ignoring your customers is not the way to build your business. If GAT is the only game around, they'll be dead and buried once a competitor shows up...and they usually do.

Their BBB rating sucks, to put it mildly. Same issues you're seeing. Same complaints from bimmerforum website.

Google "german auto technologies reviews" and you will be blown away. Looks like the vendor from the 9th level of hell.

Good luck, seriously.

Last edited by hankinid; 05-19-21 at 04:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
swdunne (05-19-21)
Old 08-02-21, 06:36 PM
T4R2LX570
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does anyone have a recommended site to purchase a new digitizer? A site with decent customer support.

Mine has a chip in it from a previous owner and I'd like to replace it. I imagine I'll go ahead and purchase the entire display with LCD and digitizer and save my old display as a spare. It doesn't seem yellow, but may be faded a bit. Thanks for recommendations.