Considering Used 2008 LX

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-14, 09:57 AM
rsherrard
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering Used 2008 LX

Guys... first post here.

I'm considering a used '08 LX 570, which has roughly 82k miles. Part of me feels it's crazy to buy something already with 80k+ miles on the ticker. Can anyone share their experiences with their LX with at least 80k? My budget is roughly 40-50k to spend, and the GX is smaller than what I need. I'd also consider a Sequoia.

Any feedback is welcomed!

Rob
Old 03-03-14, 11:30 AM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome!

I can relate to the situation you are in when I was shopping around for my wife's car. She had a 2012 4runner and with a family of 5 and intentions of adding another little one, our family will quickly outgrow the runner. So we considered to go with a GX which basically is the same as a 4runner but with luxury etc etc, so we canceled that order. We also considered the Sequoia because it was relatively close in price to the GX but they didn't have the 4wd Platinum Model that I wanted. So in the end, theres nothing wrong with a Sequoia, its still Toyota Heritage and massive AF so great for a big family. We ended up with the LX because of the killer price they gave us as returning customers (3rd lexus).

Last edited by aWorkOfArt; 03-03-14 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-03-14, 12:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

since you mentioned size is an issue, do you need 3rd row to be reasonable? if so, make sure you check and that the lx is enough. while the lx is larger than the gx is all dimensions, the 3rd row is still not "drastic". i think sequoia is bigger.

but on the lx, it's one of the best suv imho and 80k is really nothing on the car, it will go forever. i think the sequoia depreciates faster, but i personally won't choose it since it's tundra based (i assume that's the generation you considering) and it's not built in japan
Old 03-04-14, 01:08 PM
rsherrard
Driver School Candidate

The 3rd row doesn't need to be huge... I'll likely be putting my 5 year back there, and keep him away from his slightly older brother.

Originally Posted by rominl
since you mentioned size is an issue, do you need 3rd row to be reasonable? if so, make sure you check and that the lx is enough. while the lx is larger than the gx is all dimensions, the 3rd row is still not "drastic". i think sequoia is bigger.

but on the lx, it's one of the best suv imho and 80k is really nothing on the car, it will go forever. i think the sequoia depreciates faster, but i personally won't choose it since it's tundra based (i assume that's the generation you considering) and it's not built in japan
Old 03-04-14, 01:09 PM
rsherrard
Driver School Candidate

My search for now continues, the LX w/ ~80k is gone now. Still looking hard at both the Sequoia or the LX.

Rob

Originally Posted by rominl

Old 03-04-14, 01:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

me personally i strictly look at the lx. i am not saying sequoia is bad, but the lx is just that much more desirable. not to mention it retains value so well so that's another huge point
Old 03-10-14, 07:54 AM
tkbalt
Driver

Or you might consider the Toyota Land Cruiser. Much like the LX, but a bit of a stripped down version. Finding a 2013 might be tough, but a very nice vehicle also.
Old 04-08-14, 01:59 PM
CBRDude
Rookie

I would look at new version. The telematics on the 08-10 are crap for the iPhone. Works for the android based phones. Does not import the phone book nor does it have the USB outlet. They did not make a 2012 model.

The Sequoia was a huge disappointment. For the 60K why am I still using a key to open and start it? Although the iPhone does work with it great! Hum... Lexus needs to hire the engineer that designed at Toyota!

Stay away from the German cars, you'll regret you every bought one! Once the warranty runs out so does your luck!

The QX 56 or 80 is a bullet on wheels, although they take a huge depreciation dump. You can find them all day long for the high 40's and low 50's well equipped 12.

Also consider the Toyota Land Cruiser. The twin and the oil changes prices are not 200+ like at the Lexus shop! Like said above nicely equipped, but not over priced and less stuff to break down.
Old 04-11-14, 06:26 PM
askad007
Driver School Candidate

buy new car is always better because this car will cost lot in services , please think about car future costs
Old 05-09-14, 01:23 PM
medici78
Driver School Candidate

Not sure if you made your decision yet, but I'll chime in on higher mileage LX570's. I have109k miles on our '08. Awhile back right before 50k miles, we bought the 100k mile extended warranty and had $200-300 worth of warranty claims (all minor items) from 50-100k miles.

I actually leased the vehicle and purchased it at lease-end (residual was $20k less than market value at the time). After 6-years, we decided to go with an M-B GL63 AMG and decided to keep the LX570 for myself as a daily.

I will, admittedly, attribute a large degree of the longevity to the religious maintenance schedule my wife kept as well as her habit of always keeping it clean. It sure doesn't look like a car that had 3 small children grow up in it over a 6-year period.

We are the original owners, so I know EXACTLY what it has been through, though. When looking at higher mileage cars, my advice is to buy a 1-owner vehicle and make sure all service has been kept up.

We really love this truck. In fact, we plan to pass it on to the kids as their first car in 8 years when the oldest is at driving age.