Dealer backing out of Certified pre owned warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-14, 07:51 PM
lexusland
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer backing out of Certified pre owned warranty

Hello,
I was in the market for a 2013 LX570 , I did a lexus.com cpo search and found a dealer with the cpo vehicle and a decent price. Long story short I agreed to purchase the vehicle ,put a deposit and got approved for a loan and signed. I also purchased a headrest dvd system, and LOJACK to be installed by the dealer. On the purchase contract they marked the car as used instead of CPO as advertised. I noticed that when i came home. I immediately contacted the dealer but they assured me that the vehicle comes with all the benefits of a Lexus CPO vehicle just not the ( 3year ,100k miles warranty) which seemed pretty suspicious to me.
The reasons they gave were for instance "car was already priced very low to be a CPO vehcile" , car was advertised as a "CPO READY" not CPO , a lot of used car salesman greasiness not what you expect from a big lexus dealer. They also tried to sell me extended warranty as it may sound apalling. Now I'm waiting the car to be ready, the "headrest dvd's " are not installed yet , its suppose to be done Wednesday and I am having second thoughts due to the blatant dishonesty of this dealer. They advertised the car as CPO lexus on Ebay, Cars.com, Lexus.com's CPO search and also the CARFAX of the vehcile states that it was given a extended 3 year warranty. My question to all is can I back out of this deal , I have not taken delivery of the car yet plus the feeling of being taken advantage and treated very unfairly by doing a bait and switch and and I'm turned off. Its a big purchase and I expected a lot of honesty from this big lexus dealer. What are my options? I need help.

Thank you all in advance.

Last edited by lexusland; 02-16-14 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Detailed
Old 02-16-14, 09:00 PM
lennyd
Driver School Candidate

Deal is no deal if you didn't complete the transaction and take delivery. Walk, if that is all there is to the story.
Old 02-16-14, 09:15 PM
lexusland
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lennyd
Deal is no deal if you didn't complete the transaction and take delivery. Walk, if that is all there is to the story.
That is all to the story, the are giving me all the benefits of CPO but not the warranty. They tried to sell the warranty. My fault believing the dealer and signing the papers in the first place and putting a 40,000 deposit. I called my bank the next day and put a stop to the check.
If they have installed the LOJACK as i said yes to it when they tried to sell me many options , would that have any effect on this, on me backing out of the deal.
Old 02-17-14, 05:27 AM
lennyd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexusland
That is all to the story, the are giving me all the benefits of CPO but not the warranty. They tried to sell the warranty. My fault believing the dealer and signing the papers in the first place and putting a 40,000 deposit. I called my bank the next day and put a stop to the check.
If they have installed the LOJACK as i said yes to it when they tried to sell me many options , would that have any effect on this, on me backing out of the deal.
Not sure but I'd bet most of the paperwork and your check are held internally in you deal jacket still. Talk to the and tell them you don't want the car and why. Either they'll come around or not. A Lexus dealer won't want a fractured customer. If they advertised it as CPO, the benefit of that IS the warranty, not the checklist of mechanical items verified to be in good working order.
Old 02-17-14, 05:37 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

The same exact thing happened to me when I bought my GS. When haggling the price down I got them down $1500 from the list price and we both agreed on it. It wasn't until a year later I realized I did not have the CPO warranty. After calling the dealership was it only then I realized $1000 of the $1500 they took off was the CPO certification without telling me. Then the sales manager had the nerve to tell me I was the one who didn't want to pay it and opted out myself.
Old 02-17-14, 05:42 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Chevy dealer or Lexus dealer.
All dealers are out to make the most they can on a deal and will screw you given the chance.
Don't walk away from the deal...........run........unless you get the CPO.

What dealer?
Old 02-17-14, 05:49 AM
lexusland
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Chevy dealer or Lexus dealer.
All dealers are out to make the most they can on a deal and will screw you given the chance.
Don't walk away from the deal...........run........unless you get the CPO.

What dealer?
Lexus of Edison.
Old 02-17-14, 06:04 AM
lexusland
Driver School Candidate

Would it matter if they installed the LoJack? They are still waiting to install the Headrest DVD's. They pulled a bait and switch. Ofcourse they kept on stressing the fact that the vehicle was offered much lower than the going market rate hence no warranty just the other cpo perks.
For a 2013 with 24k miles , I negotiated down to $67,000 before taxes , then added $1750 for RES and $695 for lojack. I put a stop to $40k down payment check next day. So except for the loan i got approved for they are not holding any thing. So I can just unwind this deal if they decide not to give be the CPO warranty?
Old 02-17-14, 06:05 AM
lexusland
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yardie876
The same exact thing happened to me when I bought my GS. When haggling the price down I got them down $1500 from the list price and we both agreed on it. It wasn't until a year later I realized I did not have the CPO warranty. After calling the dealership was it only then I realized $1000 of the $1500 they took off was the CPO certification without telling me. Then the sales manager had the nerve to tell me I was the one who didn't want to pay it and opted out myself.
Almost exactly the same situation, priced lower than the competition hence the no warranty.
Old 02-17-14, 08:56 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

On a 2013, unless you drive a ton of miles, the CPO warranty will not be of much use to you anyway (it's 3/100k from the moment you take ownership). Irrespective of that, this dealership has given you plenty of information on how they operate, and it looks like it is time to walk.
Old 02-17-14, 11:10 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

So if they lowered the price and then pulled the new tires or brakes to cover the loss would you take it? Of course not! You have considerable documentation that it was offered CPO, right? You get it as shown or don't take it. As far as extras installed or not...they are being installed on their car until you take it! Seems pretty shifty to me, look into www.dealerrater.com for a bit of historical insight into this store.
Old 02-17-14, 11:26 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
So if they lowered the price and then pulled the new tires or brakes to cover the loss would you take it? Of course not! You have considerable documentation that it was offered CPO, right? You get it as shown or don't take it. As far as extras installed or not...they are being installed on their car until you take it! Seems pretty shifty to me, look into www.dealerrater.com for a bit of historical insight into this store.
It's funny... I actually called the dealership after going through the CPO fine print and seeing that two keys are supplied when buying CPO. When I purchased the car, I tried to have them cut me a second key but thy insisted they were not going to. The carfax even shows it had the CPO pre delivery inspection done. I was pretty P'd when I found out but in the end it hasn't affected me or my time with the car so I'm over it. I know now who to deal with and who not to at the dealership now.
Old 02-17-14, 01:08 PM
John R.
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If in fact you have documentation stating it is CPO, I thing you have a case to refuse the car. Plus I would go to Lexus Corporate and complain. They have a consumer hot line. I don't believe Corporate wants this kind of image. I am not sure they will intervene on your behalf, but maybe. I am sure it will effect the dealers rating, which effects the number and type of cars they get.
John.
Old 02-17-14, 02:06 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dang sorry to hear about your struggle with getting your LX, hope everything gets worked out in your favor, or else try your best to back away from the deal. GL Bro!
Old 02-17-14, 07:55 PM
lexusland
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for the advice and input I appreciated a lot. After all the back and forth I ended up purchasing the vehicle. 2013 24K miles with Wide-view Front and Side Monitor system with Intuitive Parking Assist and cool/heated seats for $67,000. I also purchased a headrest DVD system to be installed by the dealer for $1750. Any opinions about installing LCD screens behind the front headrests if they are not from the factory. I do not want to make this an escalade, but I have 2 young ones. Any opinions and ideas? What do you guys think?
Thanks

Quick Reply: Dealer backing out of Certified pre owned warranty