LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

MPG, what are you getting?

Old 11-14-13, 06:15 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Read up on drag coefficient and relation to speed. Recently made a 250 trip at 60-65 mph and got over 20 mpg. Normally on the same trip I drive 75+ and get 16.5 mpg. It is all physics. When you move a huge "cube" down the road the air resistance is a major factor.
Old 11-28-13, 08:41 AM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by REDHORSE
Read up on drag coefficient and relation to speed. Recently made a 250 trip at 60-65 mph and got over 20 mpg. Normally on the same trip I drive 75+ and get 16.5 mpg. It is all physics. When you move a huge "cube" down the road the air resistance is a major factor.
I just got used to it now, lol, it's not like I can't afford it. I guess I was just expecting to much. I drive fast not aggressive, but as you have said even driving fast makes a considerable difference, still love this thing to death though.
Old 12-03-13, 01:29 PM
CBRDude
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can afford the truck who cares what MPG you're getting! If the MPG was a concern you bought the wrong vehicle! Should have bought the CT then!!

It's got a 5.7 liter motor it's going to suck some fuel, you should hear it run through the lines.

I've owned a 2500 Suburban with the 6.0 Liter and Ram 3500 Dully diesel.

The only pisser I complain about is the small tank on the LX. Cruising range isn't worth crapola! The Chevy and the Ram both had huge tanks. The Chevy actually had 2 tanks. The Ram used diesel with runs more than premium unleaded, but you get more use out of the gallon.
Old 12-04-13, 03:10 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

Hmmmm. I kinda enjoy getting out for a few minutes after driving 300 miles.
Old 12-04-13, 06:18 PM
tella
Driver

16 m/g unleaded or 17m/g premium.
Old 12-15-13, 06:54 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

A little bigger gas tank would be nice. I knew the mileage going in, as it isn't that much different from my LX 470.
Old 12-16-13, 11:29 PM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MjThind
I just got used to it now, lol, it's not like I can't afford it. I guess I was just expecting to much. I drive fast not aggressive, but as you have said even driving fast makes a considerable difference, still love this thing to death though.
Theres nothing wrong with wondering what MPG's you get regardless of car unless its a true super car. You from Bay area CA? Because I have noticed everyone outside of CA with the same model car usually averages higher mpg. My theory is that our premium fuel is more watered down with ethanol than other states because of our stricter emission standards I believe some states even have 93 when our max octane is 91.
Old 12-21-13, 05:08 PM
gstanton
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

16 city , 18- 19 hwy. Easy driver 25k miles. But really who cares.
Old 01-26-14, 06:48 PM
trungerton
Driver School Candidate

3 quick things!

1. According to all the specs, the LX has a 24.6 gallon gas tank. When it gets to or near Empty (even with gas light coming on), we're only pumping 16-18.5 gallons at a time on average (to get it back to FULL). That seems like a high % for reserves? What are others seeing when they pump? I'm fine with putting less gas at a time, just hate making more trips.

2. What kind of gas tank range are users seeing? (City vs. Hwy only vs. Mixed)?

3. We have 1300 miles on our '14 LX and got about 16.9 on our return trip today (about 320 miles) recently. Pretty pleased with it - no major cross winds, and a pretty consistent 77 on the highway (good limits in TX) .

Love this thing!
Old 02-02-14, 05:02 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CBRDude
If you can afford the truck who cares what MPG you're getting! If the MPG was a concern you bought the wrong vehicle! Should have bought the CT then!!

It's got a 5.7 liter motor it's going to suck some fuel, you should hear it run through the lines.

I've owned a 2500 Suburban with the 6.0 Liter and Ram 3500 Dully diesel.

The only pisser I complain about is the small tank on the LX. Cruising range isn't worth crapola! The Chevy and the Ram both had huge tanks. The Chevy actually had 2 tanks. The Ram used diesel with runs more than premium unleaded, but you get more use out of the gallon.
MPG isn't a major concern, I was just wondering. This is a common misconception just because you have the money you don't have to be reckless with it, nah mean? I was just curious anyways because I expected more, thats it, IDC if it gets less.

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Hmmmm. I kinda enjoy getting out for a few minutes after driving 300 miles.
i do to sometimes.

Originally Posted by tella
16 m/g unleaded or 17m/g premium.
I've been getting any where from 14.5-16 tank average which consists of my daily 25 miles round trip 40% highway 60% city. When I take trips I get around 18.5-19. I think it had to do with the break-in period because ever since it broke-in I've been getting better MPG.

Originally Posted by REDHORSE
A little bigger gas tank would be nice. I knew the mileage going in, as it isn't that much different from my LX 470.
Was the 470 worse or better?

Originally Posted by LXurious
Theres nothing wrong with wondering what MPG's you get regardless of car unless its a true super car. You from Bay area CA? Because I have noticed everyone outside of CA with the same model car usually averages higher mpg. My theory is that our premium fuel is more watered down with ethanol than other states because of our stricter emission standards I believe some states even have 93 when our max octane is 91.
Cali sucks when comes to taxes and gas. The ethanol always screws up the prices and MPG. The only reason I live here is because of my family, weather and lifestyle.

Originally Posted by gstanton
16 city , 18- 19 hwy. Easy driver 25k miles. But really who cares.
Yea, I'm just a curious guy.

Originally Posted by trungerton
3 quick things!

1. According to all the specs, the LX has a 24.6 gallon gas tank. When it gets to or near Empty (even with gas light coming on), we're only pumping 16-18.5 gallons at a time on average (to get it back to FULL). That seems like a high % for reserves? What are others seeing when they pump? I'm fine with putting less gas at a time, just hate making more trips.

2. What kind of gas tank range are users seeing? (City vs. Hwy only vs. Mixed)?

3. We have 1300 miles on our '14 LX and got about 16.9 on our return trip today (about 320 miles) recently. Pretty pleased with it - no major cross winds, and a pretty consistent 77 on the highway (good limits in TX) .

Love this thing!
The reserve is huge, I've tapped into a couple of times, you have enough to get the next gas station trust me. Once she breaks-in the numbers will improve by couple MPG.
Old 02-05-14, 01:44 PM
coloradolx
Driver School Candidate

I live in Colorado and since it has been snowing with 10 degree average about 13mpg and during summer around 16mpg. I guess that's the price you pay to live in a high altitude place.
Old 02-10-15, 12:50 PM
SeaHawg
Rookie

I use 89-octane, ethanol-free, mid-grade (Michelin Latitude Touring 35 psi cold), and after 700 miles (75/25 highway/city) of driving, I'm averaging around 17.5-18 mpg. My tank average is around 320 miles until the light comes on. I wish the range were better, but it is comparable to my old GX 470.
Old 02-11-15, 04:00 PM
jsp0816
Driver School Candidate

I have 14 LX570. live in SoCal.

I drive 70 highway 30 local but has 12.9mpg combine all the time... with 91 octane
Old 02-12-15, 01:18 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by jsp0816
I have 14 LX570. live in SoCal.

I drive 70 highway 30 local but has 12.9mpg combine all the time... with 91 octane
It is a personal preference but I would give up the 91 octane. For the extra cost it offers very little in return.

12.9mpg is not very good. Either something is wrong with the LX or your foot.

Last edited by ggebhardt; 02-12-15 at 03:16 AM.
Old 02-14-15, 11:02 AM
SeaHawg
Rookie

As a quick add-on, through 800 miles of driving, my trip computer is spot-on with the MPG calculations. It is the first vehicle I have ever owned that is within 0.1 mpg of my hand calculation. Kudos to Lexus!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MPG, what are you getting?