LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Metal credit card blocks key signal...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-13, 09:27 AM
RLNTHNDR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal credit card blocks key signal...

Anybody else had this trouble. So this week I decided to start using the lexus card instead of a fob and yesterday found it fits in my wallet, I put it behind my credit card on the top slot of my bilfold. Whenever I get it in it keeps saying no fob detected and I have to take my wallet out and open it before it gets signal.

It had no trouble when I just kept the card in my pocket, the only thing that has changed is its now in my bilfold behind my card instead of just in my pocket.

Just curious if its the card that could cause trouble or just being in my wallet. Thanks!
Old 07-06-13, 01:47 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Is your wallet just leather or something else. There are wallets on the market that have a material built into them to shield against RFID readers. This could be enough to interfere with the Lexus card.

I have one of these cards but never have used it. Does it have batteries, is it possible yours need replacing?

Good luck.
Old 07-06-13, 03:08 PM
RLNTHNDR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Is your wallet just leather or something else. There are wallets on the market that have a material built into them to shield against RFID readers. This could be enough to interfere with the Lexus card.

I have one of these cards but never have used it. Does it have batteries, is it possible yours need replacing?

Good luck.
Its just a leather bilfold. Today is the first time i have had trouble with it, and its been in my wallet before with out the credit card so IDK. I will get a video showing the two ways and see what yall think.

and my Lexus is only 2 weeks old so I hope it doesn't need batteries already lol.
Old 07-07-13, 07:50 AM
John R.
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you place your cell phone next to your wallet the signal will be blocked. The cards signal seems weaker that the remote.
Old 07-07-13, 01:53 PM
RLNTHNDR
Driver School Candidate

Taking the metal card out has removed the issue. So I guess I will just keep that card at home unless im going to use it.

You would think lexus would expect people who buy this type of vehicle to have these sorts of things and work around them. But whatever. Funny story to tell at the next party I guess, lol.
Old 07-07-13, 04:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Its actually a metal credit card, as in like a Centurion Amex card? I think thats the only metal credit card in existence, pretty rare thing for them to plan to guard against.

If you replace that card with a normal plastic card do you have the same interference issue?
Old 07-08-13, 03:36 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Its actually a metal credit card, as in like a Centurion Amex card? I think thats the only metal credit card in existence, pretty rare thing for them to plan to guard against.

If you replace that card with a normal plastic card do you have the same interference issue?
Agreed!

It amazes me when people get upset about a little issue like this. There are far more worthy things to take up our time.
Old 07-08-13, 01:11 PM
CBRDude
Rookie

Some credit cards have a sleeve that does the same thing. When we bought the truck each remote was placed in a tan sleeve that blocked the smart fobs from being read. I thought it was a nice pouch to carry them in. Wrong was I!
Old 07-09-13, 09:36 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CBRDude
Some credit cards have a sleeve that does the same thing. When we bought the truck each remote was placed in a tan sleeve that blocked the smart fobs from being read. I thought it was a nice pouch to carry them in. Wrong was I!
Yes, they have to be blocked if left in the vehicle or you can not lock the doors.
Old 07-09-13, 07:51 PM
RLNTHNDR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW13GS

If I replace it with another one it isnt an issue. While it isnt a huge deal. Its just a feature that was really nice in theory, but in my execution of said theory it doesn't work. So im a little annoyed.
Old 07-10-13, 11:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

That is annoying though not to be able to carry your card that you want to use. It doesn't work if its in your wallet at all? Moving around the positions within the wallet doesn't help?