LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Bike Rack Recommendations??

Old 06-18-13, 03:44 AM
DenverSC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Rack Recommendations??

Hi anyone with recommendations for a bike rack for the LX-570? I'd like to be able to carry 4 to 5 bikes.

What's most practical and what's most high end?
Old 06-19-13, 07:41 AM
CBRDude
Rookie

Try www.etrailer.com

All kinds of stuff to choose from.

The only warning I have it most bikes don't have the normal cross bar as many are at some type of angle, so getting one that holds the bike via the cross bar may require the adapter which is another 30 bucks per bike. It clamps onto the head tube and seat post. Looks like a big paper clip.

I have a draw tite rack that holds 4 bike and is industrial strength. Tilts down to open the hatch. With the 570 hatch opening both ways you may not be able to open the bottom half. It also has tail lights on it as it does cover up the vehicle lights when fully loaded.

Also think about some type of cable lock to slow the bike thief down if you plan to travel and leave the bikes on the rack. Been there done that.
Old 03-31-16, 10:02 AM
Liongate
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CBRDude
Try www.etrailer.com

All kinds of stuff to choose from.

The only warning I have it most bikes don't have the normal cross bar as many are at some type of angle, so getting one that holds the bike via the cross bar may require the adapter which is another 30 bucks per bike. It clamps onto the head tube and seat post. Looks like a big paper clip.

I have a draw tite rack that holds 4 bike and is industrial strength. Tilts down to open the hatch. With the 570 hatch opening both ways you may not be able to open the bottom half. It also has tail lights on it as it does cover up the vehicle lights when fully loaded.

Also think about some type of cable lock to slow the bike thief down if you plan to travel and leave the bikes on the rack. Been there done that.

I was going to buy Yakima Fullswing but found out that even when it's swung open, the tailgate of my LX will not fully open.
What bike racks are you guys using? I need 4 bike carrier..
Old 03-31-16, 02:04 PM
MattBianco
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Try Thule four, swing out carrier also has issues with the gate. I'm getting an extension for the hitch.
Old 03-31-16, 06:45 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by DenverSC
Hi anyone with recommendations for a bike rack for the LX-570? I'd like to be able to carry 4 to 5 bikes.

What's most practical and what's most high end?
I saw a Suburban downtown yesterday with a beautiful and well engineered-looking rack from Kuat...Kuat Bike Racks. The one I saw is at the right at the top of the page.

They're distributed by Amazon, REI, and e-trailer.com...maybe more. From what I saw, they're definitely in the "high-end" category. You'll probably still need a drawbar extension to access the rear of the truck.
Old 03-31-16, 07:37 PM
yakim
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry, no help here. I stuff my bike inside, because outside bike racks look gauche on a LX
Old 04-01-16, 07:58 AM
MattBianco
Driver

Originally Posted by yakim
Sorry, no help here. I stuff my bike inside, because outside bike racks look gauche on a LX
I thought you would say Yakim"a".

Last edited by MattBianco; 04-01-16 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-01-16, 08:20 AM
JDJackson
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yakima is introducing a newer design on their 4-bike hitch mounted bike rack that allows the bike tires to be sitting into a tray, so the support for different frames is there, plus it rotates away from the vehicle for hatch access (I got the email flyer today. It is called the "Holdup"). I have not looked close enough to verify whether the LX's tail gate would clear, but it could be an option.

NEVER MIND... two bikes only and it looks to mount to close to allow the tail gate to rotate down.
Old 04-01-16, 08:26 AM
JDJackson
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The newer HoldUp does have an extension (pricey!) to allow another 2 to be added, but I would want to double check the clearance before purchasing, as the total for this one would put it over $800 ($449 base plus $329 extension + tax).
Old 04-01-16, 04:22 PM
yakim
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MattBianco
I thought you would say Yakim"a".
Old 04-04-16, 06:26 AM
CBRDude
Rookie

You can also buy extensions to push the rack out further from the body. You may run into issues too as this may require lights or reflectors as it sticks out too far from the vehicle? That may differ by location. Check with your locality for the rules and regulations.

Mine does have lights on it. I do hook that up. Also you can mount the rear plate of it. I've never been pulled over for that, but a poster child for many other things. But if there is some cop looking to fill his day in court you never know!

I've used the rack on my Suburban, Montero, CRV, Pilot, Mercedes and Lexus without an issue. I know on the Lexus I've only opened up the top portion of the rear door. I do not allow the kids to have access to it as there mindless brains don't think past their noses! And the door of course would be damaged. The wife would do it too more so than the kids. Her mind is never on the ball, it's always on where the next pair of shoes are coming from! Regardless everyone one needs to remember they are behind you too when backing up and when parking.
Old 04-04-16, 07:56 AM
MattBianco
Driver

Originally Posted by CBRDude
You can also buy extensions to push the rack out further from the body. You may run into issues too as this may require lights or reflectors as it sticks out too far from the vehicle? That may differ by location. Check with your locality for the rules and regulations.

Mine does have lights on it. I do hook that up. Also you can mount the rear plate of it. I've never been pulled over for that, but a poster child for many other things. But if there is some cop looking to fill his day in court you never know!

I've used the rack on my Suburban, Montero, CRV, Pilot, Mercedes and Lexus without an issue. I know on the Lexus I've only opened up the top portion of the rear door. I do not allow the kids to have access to it as there mindless brains don't think past their noses! And the door of course would be damaged. The wife would do it too more so than the kids. Her mind is never on the ball, it's always on where the next pair of shoes are coming from! Regardless everyone one needs to remember they are behind you too when backing up and when parking.
You raise excellent points on issues I have been trying to resolve in an elegant manner. Please share (photos and instructions if you have them) how you:

- add a license plate to the rack (without removing an existing plate). I have been trying to figure out how to print a rigid plate somewhere

- add lights without incurring the cost of a hitch connector, unless that is what it took to get it done.

As for the rest of your pains and problems, I would say your family is no different than most
Old 04-04-16, 08:05 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

You raise excellent points on issues I have been trying to resolve in an elegant manner. Please share (photos and instructions if you have them) how you:

- add a license plate to the rack (without removing an existing plate). I have been trying to figure out how to print a rigid plate somewhere

- add lights without incurring the cost of a hitch connector, unless that is what it took to get it done.
No suggestions at this time on the plate.

Lights should be easy...plug a 4-wire adapter into the oem socket. That will give you tail, turn, and brake lights. Check e-trailer.com for permanent or magnetic lights.

Steve
Old 04-04-16, 08:43 AM
MattBianco
Driver

Originally Posted by hankinid
No suggestions at this time on the plate.

Lights should be easy...plug a 4-wire adapter into the oem socket. That will give you tail, turn, and brake lights. Check e-trailer.com for permanent or magnetic lights.

Steve
Perfect. Thank you!

I was justing thinking printing a license plate on a printer, sticking it between two layers of acrylic sheets, glueing the sheets, driving holes for velcro fastens....attaching the plate to to the outer most bike on the carrier.
Old 04-04-16, 09:11 AM
hankinid
Pole Position

Perfect. Thank you!

I was justing thinking printing a license plate on a printer, sticking it between two layers of acrylic sheets, glueing the sheets, driving holes for velcro fastens....attaching the plate to to the outer most bike on the carrier.
You're welcome...Occam's Razor is always operative.

Maybe macro-photo the plate or just lay it on top of a color printer...Standard plate is 12" long so use legal paper if you want the 1:1 reproduction.

That said, you're in an area with literally thousands of bike racks stuck on trucks. Though I realize that California's finances are in the septic tank, are the police and CHP stepping up reinforcement for revenue enhancement so much that you'll be popped with a bike rack that blocks the rear plate???

Steve

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bike Rack Recommendations??