LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Any factory audio systems out there better than Mark Levinson?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-14, 04:13 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 496 Likes on 376 Posts

The B&O system in my 2014 ML350BT is even more awesome that my ML system in my LX. No complaints with the ML system but the bass and midranges are much better on the B&O system. At $5800 is better be!

Last edited by ggebhardt; 06-26-14 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-25-14, 08:46 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Burmeister 3D in my moms '14 S63 is really really good. I got my RX dynamatted and noticed that the bass and midranges signifcantly improved, I'm thinking of getting it done to the LX too...
Old 06-26-14, 08:47 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

For those using BT audio or MP3's, try an actual CD or even better a DVD-A. XM, BT and MP3's are very compressed and lose quality. You should tell a big difference between the two.
Old 06-30-14, 06:24 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

i would have to say that the nakamichi sound system in the 98-2000 GS and LS series still sounds better then the ML and other high end systems and it is over 10 years old.
Old 08-06-14, 03:42 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

All my life I wanted this ML system in a car and when I went out and bought the IS350C for my wife even she was impressed. "Better" is different as you and I but having had some very nice speakers in previous cars as I dabbled in audio two come to mind. One an aftermarket system in my former Mazda 6 was ditted with the 30th anniversary Focal speakers. No special set up all in stock location. Those were amazing speakers as they were easy on the ears and one xould hear that the music danced on top of the speakers (as opposed to being "pushed through" the speakers). While I'd describe the Focals as "warm" but detailed the ML are sharper and equivalent to being high definition and having a sharper imaging.Having said that those Focals could easily replace the ML system and I wouldn't miss it.
Now factory the Dynaudio in the Volvo C70 were I'd say on par or easily surpassed ML.

For now, I love the ML. But the itch to "improve" them is there. Lol. Just don't know enough about the "guts" of the ML system to make an educated decision on the direction I'd like to go. I know it can be made better but how much? Probably not a lot. In the end I'll leave it well enough alone. It's an awesome system.

Last edited by rxonmymind; 08-06-14 at 06:05 AM.
Old 08-06-14, 08:15 AM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
All my life I wanted this ML system in a car and when I went out and bought the IS350C for my wife even she was impressed. "Better" is different as you and I but having had some very nice speakers in previous cars as I dabbled in audio two come to mind. One an aftermarket system in my former Mazda 6 was ditted with the 30th anniversary Focal speakers. No special set up all in stock location. Those were amazing speakers as they were easy on the ears and one xould hear that the music danced on top of the speakers (as opposed to being "pushed through" the speakers). While I'd describe the Focals as "warm" but detailed the ML are sharper and equivalent to being high definition and having a sharper imaging.Having said that those Focals could easily replace the ML system and I wouldn't miss it.
Now factory the Dynaudio in the Volvo C70 were I'd say on par or easily surpassed ML.

For now, I love the ML. But the itch to "improve" them is there. Lol. Just don't know enough about the "guts" of the ML system to make an educated decision on the direction I'd like to go. I know it can be made better but how much? Probably not a lot. In the end I'll leave it well enough alone. It's an awesome system.
Honestly after so many Lexi coming and going through the fam, all having ML and a couple having Nikamachi, the one thing I noticed is that ML systems lack deep bass frequencies with mids settings in the middle, they have to be low. And I noticed that isn't just ML most high end systems lack deep bass like B&O Burmester, etc. I don't I know if don't except people who buy lux cars don't listen to rap because that certainly isn't the case here but you never know. I felt the need to enhance the bass but never known how too. The dynamite in my RX marginally improved the bass but not much...
Old 08-06-14, 11:05 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MjThind
Honestly after so many Lexi coming and going through the fam, all having ML and a couple having Nikamachi, the one thing I noticed is that ML systems lack deep bass frequencies with mids settings in the middle, they have to be low. And I noticed that isn't just ML most high end systems lack deep bass like B&O Burmester, etc. I don't I know if don't except people who buy lux cars don't listen to rap because that certainly isn't the case here but you never know. I felt the need to enhance the bass but never known how too. The dynamite in my RX marginally improved the bass but not much...

You bring up a valid point about this system lacking base which is surprising considering they are a top tier audio company. Also, one doesn't have to listen to just rap to appreciate bass as I listen to jazz a lot and there are times the deep base guitar is almost non existent in the music. It's so distant like an after thought. Currently in my Sienna I have an entire JLA installed to the tune of $1500 in equipment with the 10" woofer that compliments the entire system. It definitely "fills" in what the mids miss and it's supposed to be that way. Rarely do I go out if my way to thump the base but when I run into music that has it I already know this early on in my ownership of the IS what is missing. But like you pointed out companies like B&O, B&W, Dyanaudio etc all have perfected the mid & high sound to the point they are able to open a "window" to the music. However none have really dedicated their system to deep base.
Now you have me grinding my gears for base.