LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

What should Lexus do with the next redesign of the LX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-12, 08:18 AM
watch37
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should Lexus do with the next redesign of the LX?

I've read some good prior posts regarding this subject, but I thought I'd re-up this topic since the LX will be soon entering its 7th year of the current model design. To add a twist to the topic, let's include not only things we'd like to see changed, but also things we don't want them to mess with:

Here's my list of changes:

1. Better fuel economy, even if only to get marginally closer to other large luxury utes like the QX56 and GL450. Heck, maybe even a hybrid option.
2. At minimum, have a diesel option, which ties in to item #1.
3. Blind spot monitors.
4. Back up auto-stopping feature when something is about to pass you when backing out of parking spot, similar to Infiniti and Cadillac.
5. Improve the back-up camera system to a true all-around, birds eye view of the entire car as it backs out as well as when it pulls in (like maybe having the camera engage anytime the car goes below 7 mph).
6. Fold down 3rd row. I don't know how realistic this would be, considering that Toyota would presumably want to keep this SUV as a true off-roader, which likely means keeping the solid rear axle.
7. If #5 doesn't work, at least find some way to give the 3rd row more leg room by lifting the seat higher off the floor and creating more headroom.
8. Find a way to minimize scratches to the back of the 2nd row seats and underside of the 3rd row. Right now, the back of the 2nd row is made of a leatherette material, which means when loading things into the back, it tends to scratch and sometimes tear. Other cars use carpet for the backside of the 2nd row, which is more durable, doesn't show scratches, and is easier to clean. As for the 3rd row, since we keep it folded up 99% of the time, large items that are loaded back there tend to scratch up the exposed underside. Of course, having fold down seats would fix that issue all together.
9. Move controls for crawl control, ride comfort options, etc. AWAY from the cup holders. Makes no sense to have those electronics right next to liquids, which might spill directly down into the electronics.
10. Make front console cup holders more adjustable to accommodate smaller bottles. Right now, it will only securely hold large liquid containers.
11. Add mouse controller for infotainment, instead of touch screen. Having previously owned an RX that had the new mouse feature, I found that to be much easier to use and greatly reduces the chance that you'll take your eyes off the road.
12. Make AC controls on "hard *****" as opposed to on the touch screen. So much easier to adjust settings the old fashioned way.

Here' s my list of things NOT to change:

1. Auto height adjust
2. Crawl control
3. Rear hatch with a separate drop down tailgate.
4. Ride control option (sport, normal, comfort)
5. Mark Levinson reference surround ... IMHO, it's the best stock audio system anywhere
6. Overall build quality. Having owned and ridden in most of the Lexus models, I believe the LX and LS have the best materials, fit and finish. The plastics feel soft and high quality, the buttons are sturdy, and the fit of the different parts are tight and snug.
Old 12-12-12, 09:12 AM
ERC4
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My big 4 would be-

1. Blind Spot Monitor
2. A radar cruise system that's not 10 years behind Mercedes' Distronic Plus (i.e. can take you down to 0 mph and then back up to your selected mph).
3. Birdseye View camera system
4. A better audio interface- i.e. the ability to jump to a song or artist by selecting the first letter in the name (verus scrolling through 700 songs).

We're keeping our '10 LX for the longterm but will replace our '12 E63 sooner for an SUV. If the LX or LandCruiser had these 4 it'd be an easy choice. Without them we'll probably get a GL550 which has all 4.
Old 12-12-12, 07:17 PM
John R.
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about removable third row seats. Reducing weight and increasing room.
Old 12-13-12, 06:56 AM
watch37
Driver

Seems like several people have commented on here previously that they prefer to have the 3rd row seats removable.

I'm wondering if making the LX lighter might take away from the well-earned reputation of the vehicle as being a "tank" and "beast," which is one of the main reasons people are drawn to it in the first place. I first became seriously interested in the LX several years ago when I happened across a white LX 470 that was on a used car lot. I remember test driving it and thinking to myself, "this is one heavy, solid car." Everything on it seemed substantial and overdone (in a good way), from the heavy weight of the doors that made a solid thud sound upon closing them, to the rear hatch closing like a bank vault, to the steel protective plating on the undercarriage. Even the interior materials seemed heavy, if that makes any sense. To me, that's what is appealing about it and separates it from the other luxury SUVs.
Old 12-13-12, 07:08 AM
John R.
Driver

Originally Posted by watch37
Seems like several people have commented on here previously that they prefer to have the 3rd row seats removable.

I'm wondering if making the LX lighter might take away from the well-earned reputation of the vehicle as being a "tank" and "beast," which is one of the main reasons people are drawn to it in the first place. I first became seriously interested in the LX several years ago when I happened across a white LX 470 that was on a used car lot. I remember test driving it and thinking to myself, "this is one heavy, solid car." Everything on it seemed substantial and overdone (in a good way), from the heavy weight of the doors that made a solid thud sound upon closing them, to the rear hatch closing like a bank vault, to the steel protective plating on the undercarriage. Even the interior materials seemed heavy, if that makes any sense. To me, that's what is appealing about it and separates it from the other luxury SUVs.
100-150 pound reduction from a 6000 pound suv will slightly improve milage, and more importantly create a more usable cargo area.
Old 12-15-12, 08:57 PM
deusex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All the things mentioned above, plus bigger screen and better (3D) NAV system.
Steering wheel looks cheap also. Add more HP. Maybe a turbo version. Like MB GL 550 AMG
Old 12-16-12, 05:57 AM
watch37
Driver

also, have the tire pressure monitors tell us exactly which tire needs air, instead of having to use a tire gauge to figure it out on our own
Old 12-16-12, 06:45 AM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It actually entering its 5th year because it was released in like june 2007, but aside from that you pretty much have what I would had said....
Old 12-16-12, 10:57 AM
watch37
Driver

Well, 2008 was year 1 of the redesign, and 2013 is year 6, so that's what I meant when I said the LX was entering the 7th year of the redesign.
Old 12-17-12, 07:16 AM
deusex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Impossible but still, option to have either unibody or body on frame. Just drove MB GL very soft nice ride. It must be unibody.
Old 12-18-12, 06:23 AM
watch37
Driver

I also like the idea of having a Lexus with the size of the LX with a unibody, but I think if they ever decide to go that route, Lexus should call it something other than the LX. I actually prefer for the LX to maintain its off-road heritage by sticking with its truck-based platform. Maybe come up with a 4th SUV in the line up with unibody design, fold flat seats, etc. that is targeted directly at the Infiniti QX and Mercedes GL, and call it something like the "Lexus MX 570."
Old 12-23-12, 06:41 PM
DenverSC
Rookie

also, have the tire pressure monitors tell us exactly which tire needs air, instead of having to use a tire gauge to figure it out on our own
They should tell us each tires pressure.

I want more storage and side mirror blind spot warning.
Old 12-23-12, 06:44 PM
DenverSC
Rookie

Well, 2008 was year 1 of the redesign, and 2013 is year 6, so that's what I meant when I said the LX was entering the 7th year of the redesign.
The LX470 and Land Cruiser were on a 10 year production run. I had a '98 Land Cruiser, great vehicle. That makes them a little past half way through the production cycle.
Old 12-29-12, 02:56 PM
gstanton
Rookie

blind spot monitor for sure. removeable 3rd row seats also for sure bigger gas tank say 40 gallons but theres probably some nanny state reg against that. more easily acessible spare tire. more horsepower say 450 -500 wouldnt hurt. sooo not much, at some point even these great vehicles capabilities will begin to fade as more nanny state regulations begin to kick in....
Old 01-03-13, 10:40 PM
AKoch
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get it to look good again, go back to 450/470 style. Make it a better off-roader again, go back to 450/470 style. Make it more upscale, go back to 470 again. Make the interior much nicer than it is now. Make the 3rd row removable, the floor flat so you can camp in the truck again, just like the 470.
Good large/full colour HUD would be great.
Better breaks.
Better sound insulation, especially more refined engine.