LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Unacceptable Brakes on my 2013 LX 570

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-12, 09:45 AM
kurnsnick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unacceptable Brakes on my 2013 LX 570

The brakes will not engage until the brake peddle is at least 1/3 of the way down, resulting in a big delay in time to stop. In stop and go traffic it is very dangerous. I have to actually "ride" the brake in rush hour traffic in order to be ready for a quick traffic problem as this brake system is very slow to respond. This is obviously a saftey flaw in manufacturing or design but it must be fixed as its not a matter of if an accident will occur but when will it occur.

Can anyone out there talk to me about this issue as I know its not just me that has this issue. I test drove another LX 570 and found the same brake issue with that unit as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 11-28-12, 05:26 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

No one else is complaining about this.

Go to the dealer and have them check it out. If it is as dangerous as you say, do it TODAY!

On all of my LX570 units the brake did not engage the moment you hit the brake peddle. You had to push a inch or so to start breaking and would be normal. It could be the brake peddle is/was different on the last vehicle you owned.
Old 11-28-12, 05:55 AM
kurnsnick
Driver School Candidate

I have been to the dealer twice and they say this is normal for the LX 570. I agree, no one is complaining about this saftey flaw however the problem exists. You said on all of your LX 570's it takes about an inch or so before the brake engages. Maybe the or so is really several inches? The point is that when a driver needs to apply the "Brakes" and I am just guessing here but I think we want the auto to respond immediately and not have a two second delay, just thinking. I am wondering since the dealer thinks it is ok should I contact customer care for Lexus next? Whats your thoughts on that?

I do thank you for your response to my post and I am worried for my wife as it is her car. I have a 2013 LS 460 F sport and the brakes on that beautiful automobile are very responsive. In fact the F Sport has the best braking system of any vehicle I have owned.
Old 11-28-12, 03:10 PM
Norboo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It took me a while to get used to, but you will get used to them. At first, I thought there was something wrong with the brakes as well. Been to the dealer few times, etc…

I think they did that to save our brakes from wearing down and from jerky brake motion with our big heavy SUV.

There are lots of things wrong with LX570, one that stands out the most is a tiny gas tank they have in it. I don’t mind paying to fill a much larger tank but stopping all the time to fill the tiny tank is pain in the rear.

Last edited by Norboo; 11-29-12 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-28-12, 03:13 PM
Norboo
Rookie

Originally Posted by kurnsnick
I have been to the dealer twice and they say this is normal for the LX 570. I agree, no one is complaining about this saftey flaw however the problem exists. You said on all of your LX 570's it takes about an inch or so before the brake engages. Maybe the or so is really several inches? The point is that when a driver needs to apply the "Brakes" and I am just guessing here but I think we want the auto to respond immediately and not have a two second delay, just thinking. I am wondering since the dealer thinks it is ok should I contact customer care for Lexus next? Whats your thoughts on that?

I do thank you for your response to my post and I am worried for my wife as it is her car. I have a 2013 LS 460 F sport and the brakes on that beautiful automobile are very responsive. In fact the F Sport has the best braking system of any vehicle I have owned.
I have hard time adjusting to my wife’s LX460 brake system, Now, that I am used to my LX570 brakes, whenever I drive her car, I slam on the brakes. LOL
Old 11-28-12, 06:01 PM
kurnsnick
Driver School Candidate

That is too funny because my wife had to use my car to go to work one day I have a LS 460 F Sport with Bremco brakes and I got a text from her after she arrived at work and the text read, "I love your car but the brakes are way too touchy" I was at the Lexus dealership at the time of the text with her LX 570 regarding the delayed braking and talking with the service rep. I showed him the text and we all had a big time laugh.

The wife is oblivious to the brakes being slow so she never even knew how funny what she said was.

I'm glad its not my car because I would be trading it in for sure. I need brakes that react as soon as I hit the brake pedal.

At least I can quit serching for the answer now and (when) she gets in a fender bender I can say to myself I did everything I could to prevent the accident. I think I might try one more attempt at this by calling Lexus. Just to see where it goes
Old 11-28-12, 06:10 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

That is too funny because my wife had to use my car to go to work one day I have a LS 460 F Sport with Bremco brakes and I got a text from her after she arrived at work and the text read, "I love your car but the brakes are way too touchy" I was at the Lexus dealership at the time of the text with her LX 570 regarding the delayed braking and talking with the service rep. I showed him the text and we all had a big time laugh.

The wife is oblivious to the brakes being slow so she never even knew how funny what she said was.

I'm glad its not my car because I would be trading it in for sure. I need brakes that react as soon as I hit the brake pedal.

At least I can quit serching for the answer now and (when) she gets in a fender bender I can say to myself I did everything I could to prevent the accident. I think I might try one more attempt at this by calling Lexus. Just to see where it goes
Bremco - better than Brembo
Old 11-28-12, 07:08 PM
kurnsnick
Driver School Candidate

OOPS I type too fast sometimes
Old 11-29-12, 05:40 PM
Norboo
Rookie

Old 11-30-12, 02:00 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Its probably just not what you are used to. I drove a tundra and the brakes on that thing are super touchy, and i drove a lx570 maybe a week or two ago and the brakes go down a bit more before they engage so i could see how a person going from a car with super touchy brakes to the lx could take them a while to get used to.
Old 12-01-12, 05:48 PM
wernerlx57
Driver School Candidate

Hallo kurnsnick

Many times I have written about this subject.

The answer is very simple! The Brakes are under designed by Toyota / Lexus!

Install TRD or Brembo brakes with those brakes you will get the adequate brake response for your car without any delay !

But like with the LC 200 most of the LX 570 Owners do not agree with this brake problem with is in my opinion quite strange!

However except for brake issue the LX 570 is the best SUV you can buy!
Attached Thumbnails Unacceptable Brakes on my 2013 LX 570-lx-570-brembo.jpg  

Last edited by wernerlx57; 12-01-12 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-02-12, 12:47 PM
deusex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2013 has almost 5K miles and no brake issues at all. In my opinion my LX has better brakes than 2012 GX had.
Old 12-03-12, 08:42 PM
kurnsnick
Driver School Candidate

This really is a very real problem. Its not a matter of if but one of when if an accident will occur with this inadequate braking system. This problem should be a safety recall item. I cant believe that hardly anyone is screaming mad about this.

I thank you all for your input to my thread.

My next stop will be Lexus customer care and then onward and upward till I get some satisfaction on this.
Old 12-05-12, 05:53 AM
LX470570
Driver School Candidate

I felt the same way when I got my 570. Now that I'm used to it I find the brakes are very easy to use.
Old 12-05-12, 06:21 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

yeah I had the problem with my 13LX on the first few days too, I was almost stop pass the stop sign or traffic light's due to the way I depress the brake light, I was panic at the time, now I know i have to hit it harder or deeper to get brake to engage, to me these brake system hold up very for the big heavy truck like this is awesome just get use to depress on the brake little deeper

Quick Reply: Unacceptable Brakes on my 2013 LX 570