Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > LX Models > LX570
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: Purchase '11 LX 570 or Lease a '13 GX Premium
Purchase '11 LX 570 18 94.74%
Lease '13 GX Premium 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

2011 LX 570 or Lease 2013 GX Premium?

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-12, 04:16 AM   #1
VirtualCSF
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 1
Question 2011 LX 570 or Lease 2013 GX Premium?

Lexus Forum:

I am currently an owner of a BMW X5. Yes, I hate it and can't wait for the lease to end. The X5 is for my wife and two small children. We are considering Lexus and wanted to see what the forum thinks on my dilemma.

If given the choice, would you buy a used LX 570 ('10 or '11) or lease a '13 GX Premium?

We go skiing a lot and will be driving on the beach this coming summer. Looking for something VERY reliable and don't want to visit the service department (if that's possible)
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
VirtualCSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-12, 09:30 AM   #2
MjThind
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bay Area/ Valley/ So. Cal
Posts: 526
Default

LX570, why? Rarity in the US and prestige...
MjThind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-12, 09:47 AM   #3
rominl
exclusive matchup

Trader Score: (4)
 
rominl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Lovely OC
Posts: 79,159
Default

if you can swing the cash you really can't beat the lx570. not to mention i think the gx460 is a step down from the previous gx470
__________________
Yes, I drove it. The great feeling of boiling blood.
rominl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-12, 07:27 PM   #4
ERC4
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 98
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualCSF View Post
Lexus Forum:

I am currently an owner of a BMW X5. Yes, I hate it and can't wait for the lease to end. The X5 is for my wife and two small children. We are considering Lexus and wanted to see what the forum thinks on my dilemma.

If given the choice, would you buy a used LX 570 ('10 or '11) or lease a '13 GX Premium?

We go skiing a lot and will be driving on the beach this coming summer. Looking for something VERY reliable and don't want to visit the service department (if that's possible)
They'll both be reliable and both are very good in sand/snow etc. That said, I'd go with the LX. It's safer than the GX (check out the actual injury stats at IIHS.org) and has much more get up and go. It's a good feeling watching my wife and kids drive off in what is one of the very safest vehicles on the road.
ERC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-12, 05:41 PM   #5
LexsCTJill
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ON
Posts: 1,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualCSF View Post
Lexus Forum:

I am currently an owner of a BMW X5. Yes, I hate it and can't wait for the lease to end. The X5 is for my wife and two small children. We are considering Lexus and wanted to see what the forum thinks on my dilemma.

If given the choice, would you buy a used LX 570 ('10 or '11) or lease a '13 GX Premium?

We go skiing a lot and will be driving on the beach this coming summer. Looking for something VERY reliable and don't want to visit the service department (if that's possible)
I would go for a brand new GX over a used LX. GX is safe, reliable, good in the snow, and easy to live with. The LX has a horrible third row design.
LexsCTJill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-12, 11:57 PM   #6
rominl
exclusive matchup

Trader Score: (4)
 
rominl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Lovely OC
Posts: 79,159
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexsCTJill View Post
I would go for a brand new GX over a used LX. GX is safe, reliable, good in the snow, and easy to live with. The LX has a horrible third row design.
and you think the gx has better 3rd row? i don't see OP needing a 3rd row
__________________
Yes, I drove it. The great feeling of boiling blood.
rominl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-12, 07:06 PM   #7
ohiois350
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (9)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,932
Default

I never drive a gx or lx before, but since I own my 13 lx I love it, it feel solid and suspension comfor and smooth, it very quite too, I did test drove the 11lx before bought my lx, I did like it too, but I like the new spindill bumper and LEDs headlights that why I buy the 13 it is rare to see the lx than gx on the road too, for close price between the two I would take the LX
__________________
07 IS350 Obsidian/2012 F-Sport front end conversion&2010 Tail lights upgrade/GFX side&rear/s2k tips/5000K Phillip D4s&4300k Phillip H11 rebased bulbs with Denso ballasts fog/White doors sill/6000K V-LEDS interior&parking lights/6000K V-LEDs back up lights/LED turn signal mirrors/LS door lock&LED/ F-sport complete suspension set up/ 20" Volk gt30/hard wire 9500IX for speeding
14" GX luxury white with ecru
ohiois350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-12, 12:06 PM   #8
watch37
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: TN
Posts: 105
Default I would (and did) pick the LX over the GX

I voted for the LX, and may be a bit biased, since I recently purchased a pre-owned 2009 LX 570 and chose it over, among other cars, the GX460 premium. I test drove several GX460s, including the premium. Here's what I liked about the GX, when compared to the LX:

1. The GX has a slightly more car like ride compared to the LX. The GX has a lighter feel, is more nimble around corners, and is easier to park and manuever. The LX, on the other hand, will never be confused with the cross-over.

2. GX has slightly better gas mileage (17 mpg mixed driving as compared to 14-15 mpg for LX).

3. I really liked the fold down 3rd row, very convenient and maximizes cargo space alot.

But there were several things I disliked about the GX:

1. Not enough space for driver and front passenger. Having just traded in my RX, I wanted something a bit larger for my family. When driving the GX, I actually felt like I was getting into something smaller. The legroom and hip room for the front seats were narrower in the GX than in the RX. In fact, my all-weather mats that I used in the RX would not even fit in the GX. Legs felt too cramped.

2. Front seats were a bit firm, and definitely not as supportive or as nice as in my RX or in the LX. I don't know if the leather is different or what, but the front leather seats in the GX becomes deformed over time, caused as a result of getting in and out of the car. A noticeable lump underneath the outter thigh support shows up over time. This is not the case in the RX, and at least not as noticeable in the LX.

3. Materials and finishes are not as nice as in LX. For whatever reason, the plastic choices in the GX are of a lower grade. For example, the center console in the 2nd row bench uses a cheap feeling, rental-car like plastic for the lid that covers the cup holders. I also don't like the GX's liberal use of gray plastics for the side mouldings. The LX uses a nice chrome finish, which is much nicer looking in my opinion. The LX has much more substantial grab handles; everything in the LX is just heavier and more substantial feeling.

4. In the GX, the second row seats are too flat, too firm, have almost zero thigh support, and have narrow hip and shoulder room. Not much knee room between 2nd row and the backside of the front seats. Again, the RX feels roomier in the second row, as does the LX. I just felt like Lexus gives second class treatment to the passengers on the GX. In contrast, the LX's second row feels soft, plush, and is just as nice as the front rows.

5. Third row seats in the LX is slightly nicer than the seats in the GX. But the downside is not having a fold down 3rd row in the LX. Third row in the LX has much more hip, knee, and shoulder room as compared to the GX. I know this not just because I sat back there alot during test drives, but also on the Lexus website the measurements show a significant difference in the seating space in the 3rd row.

6. Rear door on GX, with the side swinging toward the curb side, simply doesn't work for me. If my wife or I were to get groceries ouf of the car while parked in our garage, we'd have to keep the garage door open so that the rear door could swing open. What will happen when it's freezing cold or raining? That won't work. Not a problem with LX.
watch37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-12, 11:02 AM   #9
ohiois350
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (9)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,932
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by watch37 View Post
I voted for the LX, and may be a bit biased, since I recently purchased a pre-owned 2009 LX 570 and chose it over, among other cars, the GX460 premium. I test drove several GX460s, including the premium. Here's what I liked about the GX, when compared to the LX:

1. The GX has a slightly more car like ride compared to the LX. The GX has a lighter feel, is more nimble around corners, and is easier to park and manuever. The LX, on the other hand, will never be confused with the cross-over.

2. GX has slightly better gas mileage (17 mpg mixed driving as compared to 14-15 mpg for LX).

3. I really liked the fold down 3rd row, very convenient and maximizes cargo space alot.

But there were several things I disliked about the GX:

1. Not enough space for driver and front passenger. Having just traded in my RX, I wanted something a bit larger for my family. When driving the GX, I actually felt like I was getting into something smaller. The legroom and hip room for the front seats were narrower in the GX than in the RX. In fact, my all-weather mats that I used in the RX would not even fit in the GX. Legs felt too cramped.

2. Front seats were a bit firm, and definitely not as supportive or as nice as in my RX or in the LX. I don't know if the leather is different or what, but the front leather seats in the GX becomes deformed over time, caused as a result of getting in and out of the car. A noticeable lump underneath the outter thigh support shows up over time. This is not the case in the RX, and at least not as noticeable in the LX.

3. Materials and finishes are not as nice as in LX. For whatever reason, the plastic choices in the GX are of a lower grade. For example, the center console in the 2nd row bench uses a cheap feeling, rental-car like plastic for the lid that covers the cup holders. I also don't like the GX's liberal use of gray plastics for the side mouldings. The LX uses a nice chrome finish, which is much nicer looking in my opinion. The LX has much more substantial grab handles; everything in the LX is just heavier and more substantial feeling.

4. In the GX, the second row seats are too flat, too firm, have almost zero thigh support, and have narrow hip and shoulder room. Not much knee room between 2nd row and the backside of the front seats. Again, the RX feels roomier in the second row, as does the LX. I just felt like Lexus gives second class treatment to the passengers on the GX. In contrast, the LX's second row feels soft, plush, and is just as nice as the front rows.

5. Third row seats in the LX is slightly nicer than the seats in the GX. But the downside is not having a fold down 3rd row in the LX. Third row in the LX has much more hip, knee, and shoulder room as compared to the GX. I know this not just because I sat back there alot during test drives, but also on the Lexus website the measurements show a significant difference in the seating space in the 3rd row.

6. Rear door on GX, with the side swinging toward the curb side, simply doesn't work for me. If my wife or I were to get groceries ouf of the car while parked in our garage, we'd have to keep the garage door open so that the rear door could swing open. What will happen when it's freezing cold or raining? That won't work. Not a problem with LX.
after reading your review, seem like you are leaning toward to the LX, I own the 13 LX, and love it, to me the LX has the smooth it ride among my other rides I had before, for the long road trip the LX gave me a comfor ride no road noise and for some reason I feel very safe when driving in the LX, I have a baby on the way, I think she would be safe in my truck
__________________
07 IS350 Obsidian/2012 F-Sport front end conversion&2010 Tail lights upgrade/GFX side&rear/s2k tips/5000K Phillip D4s&4300k Phillip H11 rebased bulbs with Denso ballasts fog/White doors sill/6000K V-LEDS interior&parking lights/6000K V-LEDs back up lights/LED turn signal mirrors/LS door lock&LED/ F-sport complete suspension set up/ 20" Volk gt30/hard wire 9500IX for speeding
14" GX luxury white with ecru
ohiois350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-12, 11:59 AM   #10
watch37
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: TN
Posts: 105
Default

I hope my prior post didn't sound too much like I was being too critical of the GX. Overall I think the GX460 is an excellent vehicle. I was trying to compare the pros and cons of the GX as to the LX. And again, maybe I'm biased somewhat because I actually ended up buying the LX.
watch37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-13, 08:34 PM   #11
dochusar
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
dochusar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 266
Walter G. Husar dochusar dochusar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualCSF View Post
Lexus Forum:

I am currently an owner of a BMW X5. Yes, I hate it and can't wait for the lease to end. The X5 is for my wife and two small children. We are considering Lexus and wanted to see what the forum thinks on my dilemma.

If given the choice, would you buy a used LX 570 ('10 or '11) or lease a '13 GX Premium?

We go skiing a lot and will be driving on the beach this coming summer. Looking for something VERY reliable and don't want to visit the service department (if that's possible)
I have owned many vehicles and I think I know of what your use of a SUV will be. That said, I think that both the GX and LX are very reliable and any issues that will arise will be handled quite well and repaired promptly by Lexus. Their customer service is one of the best in the industry!

The X5 that you are driving is more designed for the urban/suburban driver that never goes in the mountains or out on the beach. It really has limited off-road capabilities.

You cannot go wrong with either the GX or the LX. Both are very capable vehicles. The GX is smaller (narrower) and for me not as comfortable in the front seats as I would want in a SUV.

If you could swing the cash, I would opt of the LX, but I may be biased as that is the one I chose.

My advice would be to take both on a test drive. Both really drive much smaller that they really are!

Hope you find the SUV that you really want!
__________________
Dochusar - Walter
2013 Lexus LS460 F-Sport AWD - Obsidian/Black
2013 Lexus LX570 - Black Onyx/Black
2013 Mercedes SL550 Roadster - Iridium Silver/Red
2013 Porsche 911 Carrera S Coupe - White/Black
2013 Lexus GS350 AWD F-Sport - Liquid Platinum/Black (traded)
2013 Lexus LX570 - Mercury Metallic/Black (stolen)
dochusar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-13, 08:34 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2013, 460, 470, 570, buy, consumer, door, garage, gx, gx470, lease, lease2013, lexus, lx, lx570, model choices, proramming, suv purchase

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leasing a GX JDG GX - Second Generation 1 12-13-12 05:11 PM
2013 LX570 Lease Rates moolman LX570 7 07-19-12 01:53 PM
Radar-Mirror.com Integrated Valentine One Installation RaceMXM3 LX570 11 02-27-11 09:45 PM
Your opinion on Cayenne Turbo, GL, X5, Escalade.... AyM LX570 42 02-23-09 02:00 PM
Lexus Early Termination of Lease?? Penalty? vipermann1 Car Chat 6 02-16-08 06:03 PM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:05 AM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info