LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

How Long Do Brakes Last on an LX570

Old 05-29-14, 05:11 PM
REDHORSE
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Had my '11 in for service today and they checked the brakes. Shop ticket says I have 9mm front and 7mm rear remaining on the pads. 67,000 miles, original brakes.
Old 05-29-14, 07:06 PM
NotADood
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Most Lexus dealers recommend pad replacement at 3mm. This is because at 2mm and under, the metal wear sensor can hit the rotor and cause damage that may or may nor be able to be fixed. As for the question as to why the rear brakes wore so fast is because most technicians use an eyeball measurement (primarily) of the pad thickness. What one technician would say is 6mm, another would say is 5mm. My guess is that you really had closer to 5mm the time before because as a pad gets thinner, it is easier to see what thickness is left. I would guess that you won't need to replace the pads for another 5000 miles.
Old 06-29-17, 12:00 PM
evgeni
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help brake pads lx570

I got a brand new 2017 lx 570 and it has on 10k on it. Lexus of Beverly Hills told me that my front brake pads have 4mm left and I will need to change them in 3k miles.
They told me thats because its a heavy car it need to change brakes that soon. I have another have Mercedes Suv at home with 35k mills and it has its original brake pads on it, I might need to change them in the next 10k.
Is it normal for lx 570 to need brakes every 13k miles.
Should i get an aftermarket Brambo brakes maybe?

Thank you for all your help
Old 07-10-17, 01:39 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

WOW!! Needing a brake job at 13k miles? I guess it is possible depending on your driving environment. I guess in your area it is constantly stop and go traffic.

If you have the time, just go to an independent shop you trust and ask them to use a caliper to measure the front AND back pad thickness. There should be plenty of independent Toyota/Lexus (or any Japanese import shop). If you don't have the time, then I would get the brakes done soon at the Lexus dealer bc at 4mm thickness (if it is indeed true), you have like 2mm to go before potential damage to the brake sensors and rotors which will cost ADDITIONAL.

Incidentally, based on my experience the MB brakes wore out faster than my Lexus vehicles. But I have the MB AMG which everything"wears out" faster anyways.

​​​​​​It is what it is. These things do wear out eventually. Just a matter of time/use. Two things I would NEVER overlook on any VEHICLE:. Tires and brakes.

Originally Posted by evgeni
I got a brand new 2017 lx 570 and it has on 10k on it. Lexus of Beverly Hills told me that my front brake pads have 4mm left and I will need to change them in 3k miles.
They told me thats because its a heavy car it need to change brakes that soon. I have another have Mercedes Suv at home with 35k mills and it has its original brake pads on it, I might need to change them in the next 10k.

Last edited by lexusrus; 07-10-17 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-10-17, 08:35 PM
hankinid
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by evgeni

It's because of a lot of stop-and-go driving, probably combined with a big foot on both pedals. "Normal" depends on driving habits and geography...those of us in the mountains typically go through brakes faster than those in the flat lands. Forgetting how to use the shift lever to save your brakes going down hill is also a vanishing skill. If you a trailer often, you'll also obviously go through brakes faster.

My 200's rear pads went 50K, the fronts needed replacement at 60K. I went with Stop-Tech unidirectional drilled & slotted rotors and truck / taxi pads. All available at local Auto Zone and about 3 hours to install and bleed, moving slowly. Pads are a slightly different compound used in by up-fitters in the ME market. They'll stop a 200 series with an additional TON of glass and armor faster than oem brakes on an unmodified truck.

Tundra pads may also get you some improvement. Make sure the fluid is flushed. The 4 wheel cylinders you can diy, but you'll need a shop with TIS to bleed the ABS controller.

hth