LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Which models did you cross shop with the LX?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-11, 01:54 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Which models did you cross shop with the LX?

I am looking for a couple large SUV's for my business.

I'm cross shopping all options but I'm settled down to LX570, Infiniti QX56 and the Range Rover.

Comparing the first two, I find them to be somewhat similar, the QX actually has more legroom than the LX and has better MPG. Quality appears to be the same and I tend to favor the QX in terms of overall looks.

What SUVs did you guys cross shop? why did you end up with the LX in the end?

P.S. I love Lexus and really want to go with LX but I really have to admit the QX seems like a better alternative.
Old 03-23-11, 03:30 PM
IslandTime
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those were the same choices I cross shopped with, and the same cars my parents are cross shopping with now. From research and talking to people, this is what I learned:

The LX is well made, pleasant to drive, and will last me forever.
The QX is at least as nice fit and finish wise as the LX, but after 3 years it will be used up and time for a new car.
The Range Rover is sportier than both the LX and QX, is reliable but has "quirks" (this is what a salesman told me). When I asked what exactly a "quirk" is, he said that there will probably always be something that isn't working or is behaving oddly. He also said that overall the car would be reliable and that they give free rental cars for when your Range Rover is in the shop...

So yeah, that's why I went with the LX.
Old 03-23-11, 07:39 PM
ERC4
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by IslandTime
Those were the same choices I cross shopped with, and the same cars my parents are cross shopping with now. From research and talking to people, this is what I learned:

The LX is well made, pleasant to drive, and will last me forever.
The QX is at least as nice fit and finish wise as the LX, but after 3 years it will be used up and time for a new car.
The Range Rover is sportier than both the LX and QX, is reliable but has "quirks" (this is what a salesman told me). When I asked what exactly a "quirk" is, he said that there will probably always be something that isn't working or is behaving oddly. He also said that overall the car would be reliable and that they give free rental cars for when your Range Rover is in the shop...

So yeah, that's why I went with the LX.
For me, I thought it would come down to the LX versus the QX with the QX having an obvious advantage in terms of cargo room. But, it's a family vehicle for us so when the new QX came out with just 6 airbags (versus the LX's 10) that was a deal-killer. The only other vehicle we test drove was the MB GL550. If we went by the test drive alone it would have been the GL in a landslife. It drives like a sports sedan compared to the LX and has better cargo room on top on it. But, the MB's terrible reliability, expensive upkeep (tires, brakes, etc.) and poor snow performance locked it up for the LX and we've been happy. I have to question your line re the RR being reliable. It's one of the few vehicles around that's as unreliable as the MB GL. Look it up on Consumers Reports or check out one of the RR forums where most of the posts are regarding problems owners have with their vehicles. Good luck.
Old 03-23-11, 10:39 PM
IslandTime
Driver School Candidate

Oh, I wasn't saying I think the RR is reliable, I was just pointing out that the salesman said it was very reliable, explaining that all the problems we hear about are just "quirks." I loved driving the RR, but definitely recognize that it has terrible reliability.

And considered the GL550, but after driving a GL450 around for a couple months I was turned off to the model. Just not my type of car.
Old 03-24-11, 04:33 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Airbags are very important, thanks for shining light in that area for me as our most valuable assets are our passengers!

Did you guys cross shop the Lincoln Navigator and Caddy Escalade? I find their interiors quality several levels below Lexus.
Old 03-25-11, 05:59 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Originally Posted by G Star
Airbags are very important, thanks for shining light in that area for me as our most valuable assets are our passengers!

Did you guys cross shop the Lincoln Navigator and Caddy Escalade? I find their interiors quality several levels below Lexus.
I would stay from the caddy, pretty shoddy reliabilty from what ive heard