LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Long Detailing Project!

Old 07-25-10, 05:47 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Long Detailing Project!

I've been meaning to share these for a few weeks now. I fully detailed the LX during the weekend of the 4th and took a bunch of pictures.

It was fun, particularly to see the finished product, but it was back-breaking! I started before 7 AM that Saturday and finished just before 8 PM. There were a bunch of breaks along the way, waiting for products to dry, and so on, but still a long day...

I'm glad I only do this whole thing once a year!

I did the following:

(1) Wash - Zaino soap, 2 pails with Grit Guards, etc.

Back in the garage:

(2) Bug removal in front - Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover (only Turtle Wax product I still use after 20 years)
(3) Went over vehicle with Griot's Spray Car Wash to ensure no dust or other particles
(4) Clayed the sides and liftgate - Griot's Garage clay with Griot's speed shine
(5) Swirl removal: fenders, doors and rear quarter panels - right and left - Griot's machine polish 3 and 4 with random orbital
(6) Zaino Z-6 Gloss Enhancer over the whole vehicle
(7) Coat of Zaino Z-5 on hood, sides (all panels), liftgate (including spoiler), and door jambs
(8) Another round of Z-6
(9) Coat of Zaino Z-2 on hood, sides and liftgate
(10) Another round of Z-6
(11) Another coat of Zaino Z-2 on hood, sides and liftgate
(12) Final coat of Zaino Z-CS
(13) Applied 303 Aerospace Protectant on mud flaps
(14) Applied Zaino Tire Gloss to tires

Finally, I took a nice shower and enjoyed a great margarita and dinner!

The job took a long time in part because this truck is huge (and I feel like that's and understatement), but having to do step (5), swirl removal, was very time consuming. This is fortunately something I don't do regularly. I had to in this case because both sides of this truck were swirl-central when I got it, clearly from some very bad washing practices and/or equipment at the port or the dealership. This is why my truck gets washed infrequently, and when it does, I am the one doing it.

Other than that, I will say I was amazed at how much stuff the clay picked up. With 2,500 or so miles on it at the time, it was really remarkable to see how dirty the paint could get. The doors were loaded with particles, and the liftgate and rear glass were even worse.

Last, but not least... Some of you may notice no mention of the roof in the areas covered above. Before anyone asks, for the record, I am not one of those people who ignores the roof because I'm driving an SUV; I Zainoed that multiple times the first weekend we had the truck!!!

I hope you like the pictures!
Attached Thumbnails Long Detailing Project!-dscn4863.jpg   Long Detailing Project!-dscn4867.jpg   Long Detailing Project!-dscn4873.jpg   Long Detailing Project!-dscn4877.jpg   Long Detailing Project!-dscn4878.jpg  

Old 07-25-10, 07:15 PM
Hockey16
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great and have used Zaino on my Vette and like Adam's stuff to.......
Old 07-31-10, 11:08 PM
05 Celsior
Driver School Candidate

Looks Great!!! Great job!!!
Old 08-04-10, 05:51 PM
caha14
Racer

Thank you both! What's "Adam's"?

Celsior, what color is your LX?
Old 08-04-10, 07:06 PM
05 Celsior
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Mine is starfire white
Old 08-04-10, 07:17 PM
caha14
Racer

Originally Posted by 05 Celsior
Mine is starfire white
Beautiful color. It used to be our first choice until we realized it would be a long shot to get one as we wanted it equipped, so we made black our first choice.

The majority are built in black (or were at the time, anyway), and even with that, we still had to compromise on interior color (wanted gray but got cashmere).
Old 08-05-10, 12:46 PM
05 Celsior
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down

Believe it or not, we wanted a black LX. The dealer we went to had a black one and a white one. Black did not have coolbox and rear entertainment package. That's why we chose the white one. :P

I just tried to post a pic but failed. This website sucks. 100kb for jpeg?
Old 08-05-10, 01:20 PM
05 Celsior
Driver School Candidate

Got it. Finally... :P
Attached Thumbnails Long Detailing Project!-34283_1562774395669_1424611740_31525158_47542_n.jpg  
Old 08-05-10, 04:04 PM
caha14
Racer

Got it. Finally... :P
Very nice! HIDs on there?

Funny, we wanted the same things you wanted, and there were none in this area. Delivery information was nonexistent, a common issue with Lexus, and when we got something, it was very unreliable.

Finally, after two or three allocation cycles, my dealership had to virtually beg the regional rep to get this truck. The procurement process for Lexus vehicles is a complete disaster... Waiting to get what you want isn't bad, but waiting in the absence of information and still having to settle isn't great. Don't get me wrong, we are happy with the truck despite the extra maintenance commanded by the light interior; I'm just tired of this process (went through it in 2007 with GS 350).
Old 08-06-10, 12:40 AM
05 Celsior
Driver School Candidate

Oh yeah, I know what you mean. Lexus inventory sucks!!! I had to settle with beige interior too. Since the first week, the whole interior got trashed: all leather, dashboard, door sills and carpets. Thank god the floor mats are black instead of beige.

Yep, I installed 5000K HID. Here's a pic
Attached Thumbnails Long Detailing Project!-35145_1562770475571_1424611740_31525138_3850588_n.jpg  
Old 08-06-10, 05:36 AM
caha14
Racer

Oh yeah, I know what you mean. Lexus inventory sucks!!! I had to settle with beige interior too. Since the first week, the whole interior got trashed: all leather, dashboard, door sills and carpets. Thank god the floor mats are black instead of beige.

Yep, I installed 5000K HID. Here's a pic
Really nice. Fogs too, right? I have a 4300K headlight kit that I need to install one of these weekends. Did you do the installation yourself? I read somewhere that one needs to be careful to leave enough of a wire service loop inside to ensure the AFS works right.

Is your interior really that bad already?! We've had to be very careful (and we have a 14-month-old), but so far, so good. The leather does get stained easily from clothing, but the stains have come off easily with Zaino leather cleaner. I am so retentive, though... Drives my wife crazy.

Agree with you on the floor mats, big time! I'm a bit worried about winter (likely not a problem for you!), though. My dealer owes me a set of winter mats, but availability is unclear, since Lexus pulled all winter mats off the shelves even for vehicles that have virtually zero change of pedal entrapment (major knee-jerk reaction).

It's great to have this conversation going. This LX570 forum is so dead most of the time! Originally, I almost posted the pics in my old forum (GX) but figured a Moderator would move them, so I just did the right thing .
Old 08-08-10, 04:52 AM
jimmyo
Driver School Candidate

Celsior, Can you tell us who you used to install the HID's,and where you got them. I'm in Long Island,NY,hopefully there close. Thank you, Jimmy
Old 08-08-10, 10:18 PM
05 Celsior
Driver School Candidate

Talking

I'm in Los Angeles Area. Sorry, I don't know anyone in NY. I went to my HID installer. I did both low beams and fog lights. He charged me $100 for installation.

When HID's were first installed, they moved left and right when I started the car. I thought it was all good until I drove at night, when the AFS lights came on in dash and the lights stopped swiveling.

So, I went back to the guy and he said there's no room inside the lens housing. He had to drill the holes on cover. Please see attached pic. Then, he used long plastic to go through the cable. Then, he used electrical tape to cover the remaining hole on the cover. I have no problem with AFS since. There's no water condensation or anything inside the lens but it hasn't rained much in LA anyways. I think he did a great job but if anyone else has better solution to solve this AFS problem, it'll be better. I can always buy a pair of those covers from dealer and try again.

Caha14 is right, This LX forum is so dead. The IS forum has way too many post that I don't have time to read. We should keep this going.
Attached Thumbnails Long Detailing Project!-img_5078.jpg  
Old 08-09-10, 05:29 AM
jimmyo
Driver School Candidate

Celsior, Did you buy the lights first and then go to the installer,if so where did you buy the lights?
Old 08-09-10, 10:21 AM
05 Celsior
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jimmyo
Celsior, Did you buy the lights first and then go to the installer,if so where did you buy the lights?
Yep, I bought it from a friend locally. I believe he sells online or eBay. I'm not sure. I can ask for you if you'd like. I paid $280 for 2 pairs of 5000K.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Long Detailing Project!