LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

2010 vibration/suspension problem Help!

Old 12-24-09, 04:04 PM
D570
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 vibration/suspension problem Help!

I'm four weeks into my 2010 LX570, and I'm hoping someone else has experienced my problem and knows the solution. I apologize if through my searches this is described on this forum, and I've simply not been able to find it. From first day, I've had vibration/shaking at all speeds--the shaking/vibration is not in the steering wheel like a few others have described. The vibration/shaking is similar to what one experiences going over a railroad track in a small/lightweight vehicle, except it happens on all types of roads and at all speeds.

Two trips to two different tire installers and one trip to Toyota (the closest Lexus dealer is a couple hours for me) to speak with their Lexus-certified mechanic and it was chalked up to the Dunlop tires. The Dunlops had excessive road force (three were between 28 and 45). Three separate sessions with Lexus Customer Relations, and nearly two weeks with Lexus of Orlando (they were extraordinary, even though I did not purchase from them), all four tires were replaced with Michelins, road force balanced to less than 8 each, and the vehicle extensively tested. They bent over backwards and were exceptional. While the problem has been minimized, I still feel the vibration/shake.

I'm coming out of years with several Range Rovers, but every other vehicle I have does not vibrate/shake, from my Tundra on up. I just spent two weeks in an ES300 and it was rock solid, at half the weight and half the cost. Additionally, none of my Land Cruisers (previous generation to the current) were anything like this. The LX is a great vehicle, but the vibration/shake is a real issue.

Please note, and I apologize in advance for the long-winded email, I'm looking for someone who has experienced this and through the dealer found the solution. Since I am so far from the dealer, I'm trying to go to the dealer with some sort of diagnosis/solution.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave
Old 12-26-09, 12:34 PM
AyM
Driver School Candidate

Softer the ride more the shaking in order to eliminate harshness of obstacles. U can decrease shaking by turning suspension to the Sport mode. In my LX470 there are 4 modes, I just turn the handle to the most right position, I don't know how it is in LX570 but sure something similar. In sport mode it definitely shakes much less and more BMW-like SUV, but overall Lexus LX is shaking vehicle because it is the softest in its class.
Old 12-27-09, 05:47 AM
D570
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I've tried that for the past 1500 miles and there appears to be little if any discernible difference in the ride quality or the vibration/shake; at least on normal roads.
Old 01-04-10, 07:16 PM
acLX570
Driver School Candidate

I think there has to be something bigger than tire issues going on with your LX. We've had ours for about the same amount of time as you and we are not experiencing the shaking you describe. At 80+ I'll get very slight vibrations but that's it. Sorry to hear about your issues and hope you get resolution to it. Good luck and hope you get it fixed soon.
Old 10-05-12, 12:08 PM
McCoy
Driver School Candidate

Hi there. I've just upgraded to a 2008 LX570 (from my '02 LX470). It has a persistent vibration/shudder which I feel through the seat (not the steering wheel). It is worse on bumpy roads and far less obvious on perfect road carpet. I've had wheels aligned, checked for flat spots, inflated to 38 psi, deflated to 32 etc but no improvement. Frequency doesn't change with engine revs do don't think it's a resonance problem. Local Lexus dealer had acknowledged the problem and ordered a new prop shaft but I think that's unlikely to be the problem. It seems similar to what's described here. I'm v frustrated! Did you get your issues resolved?
Old 10-07-12, 02:30 PM
tella
Driver

My LX does not display any vibration at all, I have 18,000 miles thus far. I would check with a local dealer. Good luck.
Old 10-07-12, 09:12 PM
ERC4
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tella
My LX does not display any vibration at all, I have 18,000 miles thus far. I would check with a local dealer. Good luck.
Same here. No vibration at all on our 2010 with 28k miles.
Old 10-09-12, 08:17 AM
D570
Driver School Candidate

In short, no, I was not successful at resolving the vibration problem which is why I traded the vehicle after a few months for a different brand.
Old 11-04-12, 09:56 AM
LX470570
Driver School Candidate

D570 what did you get to replace?
Old 02-05-13, 01:20 AM
McCoy
Driver School Candidate

Default Vibration problem solved

Thanks indeed for suggestions & helpful tips from this & other threads. It took 4 trips to the workshop but each of the following made a difference: 1 prop-shaft replaced 2.wheels aligned (properly by the head mechanic -insist on getting the right guy to do this as proper alignment is vital in these ehicles as I've discovered). 3. Suspension serviced (as it happened this had not been done as per Lexus service schedule in the past -Lexus error -disappointing. Ride quality improved markedly with fresh fluid in the suspension system) 4. replaced dunlops with a set of michelins as per other members recommendations on this site - brilliant - much lower rolling resistance and reduced road noise. one of the Dunlops was seriously out of round and had done less than 5,000 ks so wouldn't recommend dUnlop, insist on th michelins and don't take no for an answer. Lexus here in NZ didn't even know Michelin made tyres suitable for LX570!

The vibration problem was Due to many issues. Plsed it's sorted. Thanks for your help. Good luck and don't 'give up & live with it' if you have vibration problems.

McCoy
Old 03-17-14, 11:36 AM
arich
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2011 LAnd Cruiser and I too complained about the inherent chassis vibrations that I think you're talking about. It was not a constant vibration or one that has to do with speed or engine RPM.
I feel it has two different types of vibrations, one that occurs over low speed rough roads and sounds like it's from the front end and the other over large sharp differences in pavement like high expansion joints, from the rear end (axle hop)
I changed my shocks 4 times at my expense and ended up with Koni Raid shocks from Europe to tame the beast. Also installed Michelin MS2s for winter and Michelin LAtitudes for summer. It's better but not fixed.
IMO there is something ingherent with the chassis dynamics that I know I feel, but others (even in my truck) don't feel. I have an overly sensitive buttometer, and I'm accutely aware of the difference between what should and shouldn't be there.
Same as other posted I too have BMWs, Merecedes, older 100 LAnd Cruisers and these are all much more isolated. I think the 200 got too close to the Tunda and took on some pickup truck like characteristics. I read about bad body mounts in the Tundra and I'm going to investigate this further with a gopro camera.
Love to hear about other opinions as I have exhasted IH8MUD. They think I'm nuts (as does my dealer)
Old 11-13-14, 07:45 PM
Hab
Driver School Candidate

I also experience the same as described above in my 2008 lx 570, 20K miles. I visited Toyota service centre (no lexus service centre in my region) 3 times. They said your car is fine. I've changed tire and alinged, AHC flush, suspension served but no improvement. I suspect it is suspension accumulator(globes) problem??? It's just my opnion. I'm going to check accumulators in another workshop.

Thanks.

Last edited by Hab; 11-13-14 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-14-14, 12:56 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

make sure the tires are balanced, properly know you took to dealer- but they might not have the best machine- I think its Hunter the name of machine? newer models. I had the exact same issue- Changed tires to Michelins and got the tires balanced by a good shop.
Old 11-14-14, 11:19 PM
Hab
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your reply. I've done balancing. My new tires are Bridgestone Dueler H/P sport 20" . But not improved. I still feel side to side movement. I don't have confident to drive with high speed on uneven road. Is Michelins a bit different from other tires?
Old 11-24-14, 07:41 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

They are little better, but i had the duelers in the LX470 and loved them. The steering for this car is on the lighter side, i wish it was little heavier. Thank you soccer moms.
The 20' wheels play factor too since if have any uneven road you have to hold the wheel. Make sure your tire pressure is good i think its 33psi ? worse come to worse you can put 18" on from the land cruiser that should help

Originally Posted by Hab
Thanks for your reply. I've done balancing. My new tires are Bridgestone Dueler H/P sport 20" . But not improved. I still feel side to side movement. I don't have confident to drive with high speed on uneven road. Is Michelins a bit different from other tires?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 vibration/suspension problem Help!