LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Premium fuel really needed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-13, 09:37 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

I compromised and us mid grade. I would bet $500 that when my Lexus dealer filled the tank before delivery, it was regular!

What we have to look forward to is E85! If our government gets their way we will be looking for any gas with only 10% alcohol. These corn farmers are now addicted to these profits.
Old 07-29-13, 09:42 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SupraLX570
I was told 93 also. Why cheap out on 87k vehicle?
The following users liked this post:
Yorksail00 (06-13-22)
Old 07-30-13, 12:10 PM
chiggy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2010 570 and here in Australia we have 91 Octane with 10% Ethanol. I have been using this for the last few months and prior to that was using it on my 470 for a couple of years with no obvious side effects. I look at it this way, the 570 as luxurious as is it would still be expected to drive through Africa and I have no doubt it would make it from North to South and East to West, therefore the vehicle would need to be able to contend with some pretty suspect quality fuel and still run well.
As far as performance is concerned, I'm more than happy with 383hp,
Old 07-30-13, 06:52 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bro it's the way you look at it. I look at as it is only $4-$6 more a fill-up so why not go premium, some look at it as you save $4-$6 a fill-up why not save that? Really it is your mindset nothing else...
Old 07-31-13, 01:20 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

This superfluous argument has been played out over and over. The point is that the LX will run on regular if you so wish to use it.

It seems that it is us humans that have the issues and not the LX.
Old 07-31-13, 08:57 AM
chiggy
Driver School Candidate

Default Premium or regular

Originally Posted by MjThind
Bro it's the way you look at it. I look at as it is only $4-$6 more a fill-up so why not go premium, some look at it as you save $4-$6 a fill-up why not save that? Really it is your mindset nothing else...
If it were only $4-$6 difference I'd go Premium but to fill the tank from empty would be about $20-$30 here in Australia. And the argument that if you can afford a LX570 then you can afford to pay for expensive fuel , is ludicrous. Because I bought an LX570 I can't afford Premium and when I've saved enough I'm going to get it converted to LPG.
It's stll one of the nicest 4x4 I've ever owned, *****s all over the Range Rover Sport I owned previously.
Old 08-01-13, 01:07 PM
ossme
Driver School Candidate

I used Regular fuel for my truck for the past 5 years with no issues. Every Lexus Lx570 in my country does the same.
Old 08-05-13, 03:35 AM
vedia15
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SaniDel
There has to be some reason why Toyota advises some of their customers to use premium gasoline ... otherwise, why make the cost of ownership even higher than it is? It could be simply marketing ... if you buy a premium vehicle you would expect to buy a premium gasoline!

However, I suspect there is something 'technical' ... i.e., non-marketing about Lexus engines that is an advantage over similar Toyota engines, which warrants premium fuel. It may be undetectable in the short-term, but may result in a long-term advantage ... durability, emissions, etc. More to the point ... if the manufacturer specifies it, why would you not do it ... especially during the warranty period?

SaniDel

Every manufacture would love you to run premium gas in their cars, it would make the engine in the car seem like a better engine.....but manufactures that build economy cars know not to put yeah this car needs premium on their manuals bc the Club corolla and club civic would be outraged ...but throw a lexus logo on a manual and tell people to put premium and they all will think THERE HAS to be a reason why, it is just a superior engine...thats why im paying more! when in reality its the same engine. Then there is a placebo effect where people drive a 2013 Avalon and a 2013 ES350 and are convinced the lexus has the better engine. anyways back to the topic the engine in the LX570 was not designed for the LX570 it was designed for the Land Cruiser in fact the engine made its debut in Tundras and Sequoias while the 200 series land cruiser was still being developed. The point is, this engine was made to work in the most extreme conditions in the most remote areas of the world where there is not a "BP" or a "shell" There is really low grade gas far lower than what you find in your suburban towns local BP or shell. The engine was designed with that in mind so dont think the iForce in the LX is an engine that needs to be pampered...although it will make you feel better to put premium in your 85k land cruiser or 90k LX and you can probably afford it so you will probably do it anyways
Old 08-05-13, 06:13 AM
CBRDude
Rookie

This battle has been brewing for as long as I can remember.

In the old cars it did make a difference as they had not have a computer to adjust the spark advance. When the vehicle knocked you put high test in on the next fill up or poured in an additive. Done!

In the newer vehicles the computer will adjust the spark accordingly, so the use of premium is a waste of money.

We got over 250K on our last vehicle that stated it required premium fuel.

It's all a marketing tool. People that buy these "expensive vehicles" will spend the extra money as they think it adds value and makes them feel good.

It's like telling them they can only have their Lexus serviced by Lexus. Doing so by any other means, says you voided the warranty. The sad portion about that is I know many people think that way. More money than brains syndrome I call it.
Old 08-05-13, 11:05 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CBRDude
It's like telling them they can only have their Lexus serviced by Lexus. Doing so by any other means, says you voided the warranty. The sad portion about that is I know many people think that way. More money than brains syndrome I call it.
Guilty as charged ... except the part about more money than brains ... I have plenty of both.

Your analogy is excellent, but it proves my point ... not yours. Toyota/Lexus is not in the gasoline business and I would be hard pressed to believe there is any payback for getting their customers to buy premium gas. There definitely is a payback for doing vehicle service as the service department is a "profit center" for dealerships.

There is no question that Lexus vehicles will run fine on regular gas ... that is a matter of fact as supported by numerous members of this forum. The question is why does Lexus SPECIFY premium gas for their vehicles while similar vehicles from Toyota do not?
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. A nearby "top tier" retailer offers 20¢ off per gallon on Tuesdays, but only on premium ... I'll be there tomorrow.

http://www.toptiergas.com
Old 08-07-13, 12:46 PM
John R.
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Premium provides slightly better fuel mileage and the government requires the highest fuel mileage average possible. Therefore they recommend premium. Toyota knows it won't scare Lexus customers away.

Use what you want. Someone with more patients than me will have to run 5-10 tankfuls of each under the same driving conditions (speed, temperature, humidity, wind, etc and let us know.
The following users liked this post:
Yorksail00 (06-13-22)
Old 08-07-13, 03:30 PM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by John R.
Premium provides slightly better fuel mileage ...
If so, a Lexus vehicle should have a slightly higher mileage rating than an equivalent Toyota vehicle. For example, a Lexus LX 570 should be rated as achieving higher MPG than a Toyota Land Cruiser. Do they?
Regards,

SaniDel
Old 08-08-13, 01:29 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SaniDel
If so, a Lexus vehicle should have a slightly higher mileage rating than an equivalent Toyota vehicle. For example, a Lexus LX 570 should be rated as achieving higher MPG than a Toyota Land Cruiser. Do they?
Regards,

SaniDel
Not so. Just because the LX might get slightly better mileage would not mean it would be rated that way. Certinally you know the world is not that simple.

For some reason this subject is getting to feel like " beating a dead horse".

In the end everyone should do as they wish. When the price of upgrading your fuel used to mean a 10-15 cent per gallon increase it can be as much as 50 cents or more per gallon today.

I have to admit that I spend little time worrying about this subject, but I will take another "swing at this dead carcass" just for fun!
Old 08-08-13, 05:38 AM
SaniDel
Advanced

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Not so. Just because the LX might get slightly better mileage would not mean it would be rated that way. Certinally you know the world is not that simple.
You are correct ... the world is not that simple ... but my question is. Let's take another swing at this "dead horse" ... I'll ask my question again:

Is there a difference between the mileage rating of the LX 570 specified with premium fuel and the mileage rating of the Land Cruiser specified with regular fuel?

Here are the mileage ratings from Lexus and Toyota respectively:

http://www.lexus.com/models/LX/specs/

http://www.toyota.com/landcruiser/fe...tml#!/mpg/6156

Not only is there a rating difference, it's in the "wrong direction" ... not what I expected. On a MPG basis only (ignoring octane), the Land Cruiser is the winner. Add in the price of premium and the difference is larger still ... the Land Cruiser gets higher MPG, uses cheaper gas and achieves lower $PM (dollars per mile) than the LX570. On that basis alone the Land Cruiser 'wins' ... but no one makes their decision solely on that basis, right?

So, it seems that specifying premium fuel 'amplifies' the differences between the LX 570 and the Land Cruiser ... lower MPG, pricier fuel and higher $PM ... and that is by specification and design. In other words, Toyota 'wants' there to be a difference. Whether it matters in practical terms isn't the issue ... Toyota wants there to be a difference between these two products and they made it so!
Regards,

SaniDel

P.S. That's not the only difference ... horsepower, torque and especially curb weight are also different. They may be similar vehicles, but they are not the same vehicle.
Old 08-12-13, 02:25 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by vedia15
Every manufacture would love you to run premium gas in their cars, it would make the engine in the car seem like a better engine.....but manufactures that build economy cars know not to put yeah this car needs premium on their manuals bc the Club corolla and club civic would be outraged ...but throw a lexus logo on a manual and tell people to put premium and they all will think THERE HAS to be a reason why, it is just a superior engine...thats why im paying more! when in reality its the same engine. Then there is a placebo effect where people drive a 2013 Avalon and a 2013 ES350 and are convinced the lexus has the better engine. anyways back to the topic the engine in the LX570 was not designed for the LX570 it was designed for the Land Cruiser in fact the engine made its debut in Tundras and Sequoias while the 200 series land cruiser was still being developed. The point is, this engine was made to work in the most extreme conditions in the most remote areas of the world where there is not a "BP" or a "shell" There is really low grade gas far lower than what you find in your suburban towns local BP or shell. The engine was designed with that in mind so dont think the iForce in the LX is an engine that needs to be pampered...although it will make you feel better to put premium in your 85k land cruiser or 90k LX and you can probably afford it so you will probably do it anyways
Just an FYI when the land cruiser was first introduced in 08 it was not equipped with the 5.7 in the most remote parts of the world. Only in America and Mexico was it offered with the 5.7.

Now, back to the question of this thread. THE 5.7 NEEDS PREMIUM FUEL TO ACHIEVE THE 383HP rating. All other applications of the 5.7 make 381hp.

Also the 5.7 was design for the Tundra. Not the LC or LX as they just used it.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-12-13 at 02:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Premium fuel really needed?