LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

TRD Supercharger Results

Old 10-27-08, 01:16 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default TRD Supercharger Results

I would hope that the LX570 would be able to take the new TRD Supercharger..

Results on a Tundra
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...anel..3%20.*#2
Old 11-08-08, 02:36 AM
medici78
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess nobody has tried this with the LX570?
Old 11-10-08, 05:07 PM
jff
Driver School Candidate

If anyone does, please report your results - I would *love* to get mine done but I definitely don't want to go first ....
Old 11-11-08, 10:56 AM
medici78
Driver School Candidate

Pisses me off that they have this for the Sequoia, but not for the LX570. One would assume people with $80K+ SUV's are more likely to spend $5-6k for a factory-approved S/C installation than the average person with a Tundra. It's worth it just to shut up the Supercharged Range Rover owners
Old 01-14-10, 05:27 PM
LX570Power
Driver School Candidate

they did the first custom job in Dubai for LX570 with the exact same supercharger ..
there was some differences put they sort them out
it was on boost 8 and they increased boost then re-flashed the car computer.
they program the car using uni-chip q.
results.
492 hp , 510 torque its true that tundra achive better numbers but it great to have LX570 Supercharged with this power!!

these picture before they put the engine cover on which was a direct fit!!

sorry I dont have any further info about this project
=(((
I hope this answer you question about supercharged LX570
Old 01-20-10, 01:07 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

holy schit, uni-chip managed to crack the LX ecu?

might need to see if they can do anything for the IS
Old 01-25-10, 12:07 PM
al3enawei
Driver School Candidate

Cool i get supercharger in my car

top speed use normal mod not sport i get video this is link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0BAhtr87y8
i wish you like video
Old 01-25-10, 07:09 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ndk83
holy schit, uni-chip managed to crack the LX ecu?

might need to see if they can do anything for the IS
Yoy should look into it. i think the 2is community would really want a supercharger thats cheap. Especially if you can use a trd one from a smaller car.
Old 08-18-12, 04:46 AM
NoLFA4U
Driver

So much win!
Old 09-04-12, 10:20 PM
DenverSC
Rookie

Hennessy has it worked out: http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/lexus-lx570.html

I'm debating on doing it. It's $12,000 and that includes the install. I'm not sure what the impact is on the warranty. Hennessy said that Lexus would have to prove the damage was a result of the S/C. I'm assuming if the TRD was available directly there would be no question. My hat's off to Hennessey for offering it.

Anyone know what's the install costs on a Tundra?
Old 09-06-12, 07:01 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

Agreed - I would love to have a factory installed super charger
Originally Posted by medici78
Pisses me off that they have this for the Sequoia, but not for the LX570. One would assume people with $80K+ SUV's are more likely to spend $5-6k for a factory-approved S/C installation than the average person with a Tundra. It's worth it just to shut up the Supercharged Range Rover owners
Old 09-06-12, 07:43 AM
DenverSC
Rookie

Hennessy has such a great, long term reputation, but it sure would be nice to have it done locally at a dealer, with zero worries about the warranty. I've called TRD and I can't find out how to talk to anyone up the chain in product development. The only people I can talk to just say they don't know and I couldn't even get my name on a list of interested potential customers.

I misspoke earlier. I talked to Hennessy and its $12,950 for the TRD S/C kit and install, not $12,000. I asked about reliability and he said they were doing 5 kits a week on the Tundra for the China market until a tax law changed. Never a complaint.

One thing that you have to understand about the S/C is you always have to use either 91 or 93 octane (they tune the ECU to your requested octane based on what's available where you live).

If you use a lower grade octane, you will have "detonation risk". I believe that is where the fuel ignites too early in the combustion chamber and you run the risk of blowing a piston head. So the biggest risk is spouses and kids, going, yeah whatever and putting in the cheapest gas they can find. Mike Paulk of Hennessy said unless you are under extreme load, such as racing, you will be OK, but it will sound like spoons clanking together and you need to drain the tank ASAP.

Here is an article on it if you are really interested:

Detonation, Knock, and Pre-Ignition 101
As you probably have already figured out, detonation (aka "knock") is a big issue in the world of forced induction. You probably know that detonation is a bad thing, and that by adding a supercharger (or any forced induction power adder), you must take additional measures to avoid detonation, especially if your engine has other modifications. Normally the simple solution to stop detonation is to run higher octane fuel... but before we get ahead of ourselves, let's start from the beginning.

What is detonation / knock?

Under normal conditions, the combusting air and fuel mixture inside the combustion chamber ignites in a controlled manner. The mixture is ignited by the spark, normally in the center of the cylinder, and a flame front moves from the spark towards the outside of the cylinder in a contolled burn. Detonation occurs when air and fuel that is ahead of the flame front ignites before the flame front arrives because it becomes overheated. Under these conditions, the combustion becomes uncontrolled and sporadic and often produces a pinging noise, or a "knock" noise when the conditions become worse.

So far, detonation sounds cool... why is it bad?

Detonation is definitely not cool. Detonation causes sudden pressure changes in the cylinder, and extreme temperature spikes that can be very damaging on engine pistons, rings, rods, gaskets, bearings, and even the cylinder heads. Even the best engine components cannot withstand severe detonation for more than a few seconds at a time. More severe detonation obviously leads to more severe forms of engine damage. If there is enough heat and pressure in the combustion chamber, detonation can begin to occur before the spark plug even fires, which would normally initiate the combustion. Under these circumstances, known as "pre-ignition", the piston may be travelling up towards a wave of compressed, exploding gas. These are the worst kinds of detonation conditions, and can bend con-rods and destroy pistons.

What causes detonation?

Detonation occurs when several conditions / factors inside the combustion chamber exist at the same time. Increased compression, high temperatures, lean fuel/air mixture, advanced ignition timing, and lower octane fuels are all factors that PROMOTE detonation conditions. The good news is that, because there are so many factors in play, you can always find a way to eliminate detonation if it exists.

So, where do superchargers fit in?

A supercharger increases the amount of air inside the combustion chamber (see "Bye Bye 14.7 psi"), which in turn increases the compression inside the combustion chamber. Along with increased compression comes higher temperatures and higher pressures, which as we know, tend to increase the chances that some form of detonation will occur. In order to compensate for the increased compression and heat, we must change one or more of the other factors / conditions to move us away from our detonation threshhold. Tuning the supercharger system to the engine in this way for maximum performance without detonation is something that supercharger manufactuers do so, chances are, you won't have to worry about it unless you do other modifications to your engine that place you closer to your detonation threshhold.

How do I get rid of it?

The two most common tricks used by supercharger manufactuers and engine tuners looking to obtain maximum performance without detonation is 1. use higher octane fuel, and 2. retard the ignition timing.

Higher octane fuel burns more controllably and is not as likely to combust before the flame front. This is why racing engines use 100+ octane gasoline. The ONLY benefit of racing gasoline is that it moves you away from the detonation threshhold, which allows you to be more aggressive with power producing factors - i.e. raise compression, advance timing, etc. This is why you'll be disappointed if you put racing gasoline in your mom's bone-stock '82 Toyota Cressida thinking you'll turn it into a race car. If you don't have detonation, the increased octane will do you no good. For cars designed for daily street driving, you obviously won't want to fill up with 100+ octane fuel every week at the tune of 5 bucks a gallon. This is why supercharger manufactuers tune their supercharger systems to run properly without detonation on 91 octane fuel - aka "premium" at your local gas station (in some states premium gasoline is around 93 octane).

Retarding the ignition timing will delay the timing of the spark, which also moves you away from your detonation threshhold. Most popular "power programmers" or "chips" increase engine power by advancing the ignition timing, and requiring you to run a higher octane fuel to avoid detonation. These work great, except the advanced ignition timing is NOT compatible with most superchargers, unless you're happy to run 100 octane fuel. In fact, many supercharger systems include an "ignition boost retard" that retards the ignition timing when it senses boost from the supercharger. This allows you to maintain stock performance while not under boost, yet still remain safe while the supercharger is making its boost (and power).

Another way to avoid detonation is to cool the incoming air charge to lower the temperature inside the combustion chamber. On a supercharged application, this task can be handled by an intercooler (see "Let's Talk Intercoolers") or by a water injection system (less common). The intercooler takes the incoming air charge and passes it over a series of air-cooled or water-cooled fins and ducts, thus cooling the air in the same way that a radiator cools your engine's coolant. Intercoolers are thus very popular in higher output supercharger systems, where detonation becomes more of a problem. Often times, the intercooler allows you to run more boost and also allows you to eliminate the ignition boost retard, meaning you'll notice increased performance, and still experience no detonation. Another way to lower the temperature of the combusting air and fuel is to run cooler heat range spark plugs. Many supercharger manufacturers will recommend cooler plugs for you supercharged engine.

Because lean condition (fuel starvation) also contributes to detonation, it is important to make sure that the fuel system (pump, injectors, etc.) is capable of delivering the increased fuel requirements of the supercharged engine. Often times, an otherwise perfectly tuned engine will experience detonation just because the fuel pump can't deliver enough fuel to the engine. Upgrading certain fuel components is almost always necessary when supercharging an engine. Most supercharger systems normally include the upgraded fuel components if they are necessary. If you are installing a supercharger on an engine with other modifications, make sure you consider the additional fuel requirements and compensate with larger injectors and / or a bigger fuel pump.

Some modern vehicles come with "knock sensors" that listen for detonation, and automatically retard the ignition timing to eliminate detonation. Although these devices are effective in preventing engine damage, they are not tuned for performance, so you should not rely on the knock sensors and expect your engine to run its best.

Conclusion

Altough detonation can be potentially damaging to an engine, a simple understanding of what it is, and what causes it, will help you stay away from your detonation threshhold. Pay attention to "knock" and pinging noises that come from your engine becuase they could indicate detonation inside the combustion chamber and should be dealt with immediately. If you're looking for a new supercharger system, don't worry too much about detonation - the manufacturers have designed the system for use on your stock engine, and if you follow the manufactuer's fuel recommendations, you will not have a detonation problem. If you ever do notice detonation, perhaps from bad (low octane) gasoline or extremely high air temperatures, just drive with a light foot until you are able to resolve the cause of the problem.
Old 11-28-12, 11:28 PM
TRDLx570
Driver School Candidate

Default Just installed mine today.

Originally Posted by jff
If anyone does, please report your results - I would *love* to get mine done but I definitely don't want to go first ....
I installed mine today. Message me if interested, fairly easy to do.

Go to my post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx5...r-and-bbk.html
Old 11-28-12, 11:29 PM
TRDLx570
Driver School Candidate

Default Installed mine today.

Originally Posted by medici78
I guess nobody has tried this with the LX570?
Just put my SC on today.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx5...r-and-bbk.html
Old 11-28-12, 11:34 PM
TRDLx570
Driver School Candidate

I'm from Houston, and I ordered my SC from Sparks Toyota including the UniChip. Installed it today by my own guy that does my cars. Cost less than Hennessey for sure plus warranty on the SC from TRD.