Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Car and Drive Short Take: LX570

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test

They love it:

2008 Lexus LX570 - Short Take Road Test

A perfect trifecta of bad timing.

BY JOHN PHILLIPS
November 2008

When Toyota first began working on the new body, engine, and purpose-built frame for its latest heavyweight twins—the Land Cruiser and the Lexus LX570—the company couldn’t have predicted $4 fuel, an economy on crutches, and Americans’ panicky migration from full-size SUVs. Never has it been more politically incorrect to sing the praises of a passenger vehicle that weighs 6180 pounds, attains observed fuel economy of 14 mpg, and costs $75,465. Poor Toyota. A perfect trifecta of bad timing.

Which is a little embarrassing for us because every C/D editor who drove the new LX570 came back to the office, looked sheepishly at his shoes, then said in a small voice, “Holy crap, I love that thing.”

Describing the LX570 as an eight-seat LS460L with 8.9 inches of ground clearance isn’t too far off the mark. That’s how mechanically silky, fluid, fast, insulated, and isolated it is. It offers the velvety step-off of an S-class Benz. The interior is awash in the sort of leather and real wood you’d find in Churchill’s library. The seats are thrones. The paint would pass muster in Maranello. We’d love to own a sofa upholstered in the LX570’s headliner material. The turn signals click like your grandparents’ Seth Thomas clock. At the push of a button, the third-row seats silently fold and rise out of the way, affording a cargo area 67 inches deep and 40 inches wide.

Heck, the heavenly ride would do justice to the Spirit of Ecstasy—unexpected from a body-on-frame truck with a rigid axle—although it comes at the expense of major body roll, even with the shocks toggled to their firmest setting. The only other dynamic flaw: steering that is light but vague.

The 383-hp V-8 propels the LX570 to 60 mph in 6.7 seconds, quicker than an Audi Q7 4.2 or an Infiniti QX56. At wide-open whack, the engine emits a muted snarl, like a puma locked in your guest bedroom, yet it’s quieter than a QX56. In acceleration, it basically matches a Mercedes-Benz GL450. And the six-speed transmission is so uncanny about being in the correct gear that you’ll rarely slap at the manumatic.

Anything based on a Land Cruiser ought to excel in muck, and the LX570 doesn’t disappoint. It offers a low range, a locking center diff, ride-height control, adjustable shocks, second-gear start, ABS that can adapt to sand and gravel, and “crawl control.” The latter acts as a kind of off-road cruise control, topping out at 10 mph, with the brakes kicking in should one of three specified velocities be surpassed. It serves double duty as hill-descent control. The hand brake is mounted on the center console—a big deal for hard-core off-roaders. Apart from the Queen’s own Range Rover, nothing this sumptuous has ever fouled its wheel wells with several inches of gooey river-bottom loam.

Drive solo in this behemoth and enviro-conscious citizens give you the stink eye, as if you’ve fired up an unfiltered Camel in the produce section of Whole Foods. Which is a shame because the LX570 may well be the most desirable SUV on the planet.
Old 10-02-08, 03:46 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read this review too. I think they are over reacting just a little bit...But yeah most desirable suv on the planet. Perhaps!
Old 10-02-08, 03:58 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

While most do not want to pay $4 a gallon for gas, anyone looking at a 3 ton SUV know that they will gulp the stuff up at will.

We did not buy this SUV for the economy of ownership!

I am loving mine more and more. I drove a friends new BMW X5 for over 200 miles and it made me appreciate my 570 more than ever!
Old 10-02-08, 04:03 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

sounds like they like this as much as they did the 470 back in 98
Old 10-02-08, 05:58 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

God the LX is a fine car, but with fuel prices. Ouch; I have RX330 and am regret the purchase. Not because I can't afford it. I just feel like a Sucker when you see the Civics or Prius pull up on electric at the pump.

My parents bought it for me and pay for the gas; I'm in college so I have no money what can I say (trying to be self sufficient). But I really wish I had a more economical car; 1 person with a midsize suv what a waste. The LX looks great though compared to the old one; I would still feel like a sucker 8 person suv with one person. And with all that weight+power most people don't tow or take it off road kind of overkill. I hope to see a LX Hybrid and since the Escalade is in Hybrid and the GL450 can be had diesel, I am sure one of the two is to come...

I can't wait till we find a HUGE OIL RESERVE or MAN MADE oil!!!! G55 AMG Anyone till then I'm a sucker