LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Is an LX a step up from an LS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-08, 08:30 PM
carfanmd
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Is an LX a step up from an LS?

I have a 2008 LS SWB ML. Thinking of trading to an LX because I have 2 cars (one 4 wheel drive and the LS). I was thinking I can combine two into one but is the LX a trade up, down or sideways re: the LS? I like the LS (not the most exciting car to drive) but I loved the LX when I drove it. However, if any LX owner has a feeling one way or the other I would appreciate some advice. Problem with the LX is it is so expensive and does not lease well. So I might get rid of my LS, keep the current 4 wheel drive, and purchase the new LS AWD in the fall and then either keep the 4 wheel as a beater or get rid of it then because it has been made redundant. I know these are not big issues but its a car board so I'd appreciate folks to give me their opinion on this if possible. I looked at the Land Cruiser but would rather step up to the Lexus fo the service and creature comforts. Thanks and best regards to all.
Old 07-21-08, 10:27 PM
LexFather

LS is the flagship of the Lexus line. The LS 600h L would be Lexus cream of the crop. The LX is next, then SC.
Old 07-21-08, 11:05 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There will always be a Land Cruiser, Camry, Corolla and ES and LS in the Toyota line up.

The LS is the flagship sedan and the Land Cruiser/LX is the flagship SUV...The cool thing about the 5.7 is that it is based on the 4.6 LS engine.
Old 07-21-08, 11:57 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default At the end of the day its up to you but...

Few quick question to give us a better idea of ur situation, u never mention what kinda 4 wheel drive car you have? do u live in a city or out in the burbs? also do u go offroading or do u just want 4 wheel drive for snow and rain??

Now as stated above the LS is the flagship car, However, it doesnt mean the LX is a step down at all. If u liked the LX more, get rid of both cars and get an LX. It seems to combine what ur lookin for in a very nice package. From ur post it sounds like although u like ur LS yet u dont LOVE it and im sure the 4wheel drive version wont change that.
Sides the way i look at it, the LS is a car to be driven in more than a car you drive. If u enjoy driving go and you wanna get rowdy go with the LX
Old 07-22-08, 05:49 AM
mikeivan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carfanmd
is the LX a trade up, down or sideways re: the LS? if any LX owner has a feeling one way or the other I would appreciate some advice. Thanks and best regards to all.
My LX is a sideways step from my wife's LS 430: ride almost as good, seats better, adjustable suspension better, sound system better, tranny better, visability better, acceleration almost as good, interior lux a draw, not as quiet on the road. HTH
Old 07-22-08, 12:52 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
The LS is the flagship sedan and the Land Cruiser/LX is the flagship SUV...The cool thing about the 5.7 is that it is based on the 4.6 LS engine.
I have not heard this...pagemaster, do you have any info?? I know that the previous 4.7L V8 (in LX470 and TLC) was based loosely on the original 4.0L V8 in the LS400.
Old 07-22-08, 06:39 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
There will always be a Land Cruiser, Camry, Corolla and ES and LS in the Toyota line up.

This guy doesn't know what the hell he is talking about. Trust me!
Old 07-23-08, 04:07 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Originally Posted by luxury1
I kinda knew this already from past interaction...it is strange, he still opens his mouth to give people advice and information.
Old 07-23-08, 04:37 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tigmd99
I kinda knew this already from past interaction...it is strange, he still opens his mouth to give people advice and information.
Exactly! It is funny how you get to know certain screen names and associate them with good or bad. I think most would agree on his screen name
Old 07-23-08, 09:13 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Hard to compare the two. One line, the LX represents the SUV. The other, the LS is a car. You can't compare one to another as far as which is better. I have owned the LS460 and LX570 and while they share the dash electronics, they are vastly different!
Old 07-23-08, 12:03 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

speaking of engines, and whether this is a sideways move or a move up, one could make the argument that it is a move up because u get all the luxury but u also get the most powerful engine toyota/lexus build. granted the LS600h has a bit more hp due to the hybrid engine, the LX produces more torque. so therefore its the most powerful out of the entire lineup.
Old 07-23-08, 12:11 PM
tigmd99
Racer

But, on the other hand, the powertrain in the Lexus originates from a Toyota truck powertrain. The Lexus LS powertrain was designed for the LS...and later migrated down to lesser Lexus. No Toyota has the same powertrain as LS.

Again, this is nitpicking, but for those who care, i guess that it could be significant.
Old 07-23-08, 12:21 PM
tigmd99
Racer

I will even argue further that the LS has more luxury touches than the LX570...it belongs in a higher class than LX, regardless of final price. The interior materials in the LS are a lot better...befitting the top dog status of Lexus. We have discussed this many times in the past...the LX570 interior does show that it was made to a price point...this is not the case with the LS460. In other words, Lexus LS460 is designed foremost to be the top among it's prestigious class (e.g. MB S-class, BMW 7).

The LX570, on the other hand, competes more with the MB GL-class, Range Rover, and possibly Escalade and Infiniti QX. And no one will ever confuse a GL-class with a S-class in terms of class/elegance and luxury. In other words, luxury SUV class, at this time, is still lagging behind the ultra-luxury sedan class in terms of luxury appointments and whatnot. With gas prices zooming up, i doubt that the luxury SUV class will grow anytime soon...and thus, not much competition, which leads to price point luxury appointments.

One more thing...does a Japanese engineer use a stethoscope to listen to each LX570's engine as it rolls off the assembly line?? The LS apparently does.

Last edited by tigmd99; 07-23-08 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-23-08, 01:58 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tigmd99
I have not heard this...pagemaster, do you have any info?? I know that the previous 4.7L V8 (in LX470 and TLC) was based loosely on the original 4.0L V8 in the LS400.
a small quote for trucktrend.

Called the 3UR-FE within the confines of Toyota, the new 5.7-liter is built around the same structural architecture as the 4.6-liter V-8 in the Lexus LS 460 introduced last year.

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/1...ine/index.html

At the time of the printing the 5.7 was only built in the USA. Once the 200 series was introduced the Japan plants are now building 5.7 for use in the 200 series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_UR_engine
Old 07-23-08, 02:02 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by luxury1
Both 4.6, 5.0 and 5.7 Toyota motors are from the UR family of engines

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_UR_engine

Quick Reply: Is an LX a step up from an LS?