LX - 3rd Gen (2008-2021) Posts related to the LX570 belong in this forum

Sirius XM Merger Implications

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-08, 04:05 PM
cheffron
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sirius XM Merger Implications

Please correct me if I'm wrong but . . .

The LX 570 has a built in XM tuner. The merger will probably necesitate new hardware to take advantage of both bands/signals currently owned by the two separate companies.

Anyone "in the know" have any idea what Lexus will do to support existing and newly sold systems in their cars/suvs? Granted this might take a year to actually come about, but I'd hate to buy one now, and have to incorporate an external system in a year.

Thanks
Old 03-25-08, 03:28 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

I am betting that nothing will be done to change any hardware. Millions of units would need to be changed. I am betting that the new company transmits on both receivers.

Don't you think that would be a good idea? One company did not buy the other to **** off their new customers and tell them their hardware will not work any more!
Old 03-25-08, 08:36 AM
trusso
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I am betting that nothing will be done to change any hardware. Millions of units would need to be changed. I am betting that the new company transmits on both receivers.

Don't you think that would be a good idea? One company did not buy the other to **** off their new customers and tell them their hardware will not work any more!
I bet its somewhat seamless but at a cost...I would pay a "little more" for Sirius to come over my XM and I bet most people would. Lets say they charge half of what it would be as a sole subscriber...they just increased their "customer base" by 50%...easy money, I wish I thought of doing that with my satellite network!!!
Old 03-25-08, 11:03 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

I am sure it will all be worked out and you can bet it will not be cheaper!

It sounds like we will get a "lite" version of their services (50 channels) for around $6.95 per month and full services will still be over $12 per month. Suits me as I only listen to a limited selection on XM

Last edited by ggebhardt; 03-25-08 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-25-08, 05:00 PM
cheffron
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt

True enough, I guess I was really wondering if Lexus would have an option to allow for a hardware upgrade to take advantage of both systems on cars they are selling now. Is there a "luxury car" precedent for "keeping up " with technology ? Maybe a modular component that could be replaced with an update. Pure specualtion I know . . .
Old 03-25-08, 10:22 PM
trusso
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

didnt Lexus used to give you the option?
I asked about Sirius when I got the 570 and they said no..
NASCAR went to Sirius from XM...
Old 03-26-08, 04:58 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cheffron
True enough, I guess I was really wondering if Lexus would have an option to allow for a hardware upgrade to take advantage of both systems on cars they are selling now. Is there a "luxury car" precedent for "keeping up " with technology ? Maybe a modular component that could be replaced with an update. Pure specualtion I know . . .
The buy out is just in the first stages. There is more than enough bandwidth to carry additional channels to today current equipment. I am sure now that they are one big happy family that soon only one or the other type of equipment will be available, it is just too early to tell which